280 People Missing in Michael

Storm surge is like a mega undertow. If you’ve ever been to the beach and felt the power of a typical wave, consider something thousands of times more powerful.
People who live near water used to build their houses on stilts.

The 'redneck riviera' as its called, has many elderly, retired folks and they are the most vulnerable.

-Geaux

That's why they should be given brick or sturdier homes....cement...

No matchboxes houses....matchsticks house to be living in is no good my friends....

Otherwise go live somewhere else....where you can feel safer.....

That's my advise anyway

Anyone deciding to stay and ride out a Cat 4 are not too bright.
Your property is not worth your life

Nothing you can do in a Cat 4 Hurricane
rightwinger, I was reading one article on just that issue. Some elderly people in the area have suchextreme health issues that they may not have realized they were in danger (dementia), some may not be able to get around (broken bones due to osteoporosis), some may have narcissistic children who have abusively alienated them, some have rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions, are on respirators, and couldn't move if they wanted to; the devastation is such that caregivers may have been unable to reach them, and the pictures I saw of some of the airports are such that planes, helicopters, and the like are broken in two and cannot respond. Phones are out, power is out, water may be dangerous, and people may be very, very isolated if their home structure was totaled. It's a bad situation, and it's going to get worse. A lot of people are in trouble and can't get help, and they may have gotten themselves seriously hurt from all the flying debris from unbelievable winds of a Cat 4 storm. You are right about nothing can be done about a Cat 4 Hurricane, but not everyone was there to look over their property. They didn't have a way to get out of there, and some were isolated.
It is sad to watch
You would think there would be public services to help people evacuate
You are right about the effects after a hurricane. Local roads are blocked with debris, trees are down, cell towers are down blocking communications.....there is nothing you can do
That is why you need to evacuate

rightwinger, I was reading one article on just that issue. Some elderly people in the area have suchextreme health issues that they may not have realized they were in danger (dementia), some may not be able to get around (broken bones due to osteoporosis), some may have narcissistic children who have abusively alienated them, some have rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions, are on respirators, and couldn't move if they wanted to; the devastation is such that caregivers may have been unable to reach them, and the pictures I saw of some of the airports are such that planes, helicopters, and the like are broken in two and cannot respond. Phones are out, power is out, water may be dangerous, and people may be very, very isolated if their home structure was totaled. It's a bad situation, and it's going to get worse. A lot of people are in trouble and can't get help, and they may have gotten themselves seriously hurt from all the flying debris from unbelievable winds of a Cat 4 storm. You are right about nothing can be done about a Cat 4 Hurricane, but not everyone was there to look over their property. They didn't have a way to get out of there, and some were isolated.
It is sad to watch
You are right about the effects after a hurricane. Local roads are blocked with debris, trees are down, cell towers are down blocking communications.....there is nothing you can do
Some people will never evacuate because that’s just the way it is, forcing people to evacuate makes no sense… But then again you don’t believe much in freedom do you?

It is sad to watch
Some people will never evacuate because that’s just the way it is, forcing people to evacuate makes no sense… But then again you don’t believe much in freedom do you?
Honest, Rustic, what didn't you understand about elder and situational issues that went exponential in the eye of the Michael storm? Some of those people didn't have a Chinaman's chance of getting out of there. Elderly people forget to call someone if they're in the middle of doing something else because they have short term deficit disorder memory banks, and forget major things younger people would never do. Remember 9/11/01? There weren't any parties for weeks following that disaster. Most folks just park their political baggage when something this bad happens to their fellow countrymen and women. Tears in our eyes have the same salt, and we taste it in times like this. Human beings often do dumb stuff in times of crisis. Some of them who seem to be dumb are just swallowed up in human illnesses so grievous no one else can possibly understand them. Ever noticed how someone with such autoimmune diseases as fibromyalgia, Altzheimer's, Chron's disease, Multiple sclerosis, Chronic fatigue syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis may have a hard time holding a job or thinking in less than foggy terms? That's because most people have never had the experience and assaults on their minds and bodies, and most victims are over 50 to elderly. Others have the same disease and seem to function well. We don't know why that is, we just know that it is. Some people who are young think they are indestructible and are prone to the same issues in a calamity. They weren't born knowing danger is one letter away from being a dagger.
Lighten up. Oh, wait. You have no reason to since these harsh diseases (and many others) have never shown you their hand before. Carry on. :popcorn:

Storm surge is like a mega undertow. If you’ve ever been to the beach and felt the power of a typical wave, consider something thousands of times more powerful.
People who live near water used to build their houses on stilts.
They still do

The only reason I'd evac is if I was in the storm surges path.
Any well built home can withstand a cat 4.
What are the advantages of staying with a Cat 4 approaching?

Even if your house survives, you are stranded
You can’t drive even if your car survived
No electricity, no clean water, no septic
If you or a loved one are injured......nobody can help you

Looters.
Water wouldnt be an issue I have on hand 80 gallons of drinking water,generator and food that would last weeks.
Plus 15000 gallons of pool water for basic washing and toilet flushing.

Last edited:

Looters.

So.....it’s just stuff
Take your valuables and let insurance handle any thefts

Why risk your life for “stuff”?

There were many that were poor without cars without money, then there were several nursing homes they couldn't move until after the storm and they relocated to other parts of Florida and Alabama, then there were the ones who didn't know that Michael was going to intensify so fast and stay at that low pressure and wind speed, usually they lose a little steam before hitting land. Until you live down here don't make judgements.

Hurricanes ain't no joke.... As a retired utility lineman I have seen my share of destructive hurricanes over the years.

One question....do brick or concrete homes also fall like those....when a hurricane hits?? :confused-84:
Found some pictures, because I really don't know, except I hear it's pretty expensive to build a house to withstand a cat-5 hurricane.

greensburg-tornado-damage3.jpg

th

There were many that were built to code so now you know just how strong this was.

Hurricanes ain't no joke.... As a retired utility lineman I have seen my share of destructive hurricanes over the years.

One question....do brick or concrete homes also fall like those....when a hurricane hits?? :confused-84:
Found some pictures, because I really don't know, except I hear it's pretty expensive to build a house to withstand a cat-5 hurricane.

greensburg-tornado-damage3.jpg

th

The brick structures are still standing.....all the rest is gone.

Thank you for the photos!

You apparently haven't seen all the pics or TV they are all not standing.

Looters.

So.....it’s just stuff
Take your valuables and let insurance handle any thefts

Why risk your life for “stuff”?

I've been through many a hurricane and never had a problem.
And as I've said,any well built house can withstand a cat 4.

That may all be true, but in these parts where storms are so unpredictable, the old timers have secured those electric-power devices that can stand up to a week or more of no power, so they can boil tap water or also have stashed a water distiller and the same basins early Americans used before indoor plumbing was around. Some people maintain their First Aid certifications for life by keeping current on their knowledge, and the pictures they take during the blast are often shared to show others how bad it can be even when one is prepared. And some have seen war as a life experience and have the guts to deal with adversity. For their reasons, a lot of people stuck around. Not only that, but even well informed people were not enlightened that the storm had become a cat 4 only minutes before it hit the coast, and they may have been nailing nails to the last few window covers with plywood, unaware of news less than an hour old.
However, you're right. Too many people didn't have these experiences and left themselves and their families vulnerable if worse came to worse. And worse not only came to worse, it came to worser. Who'd a thunk it?

Oh, yes, and around here, there are more cattle than there are horses. A lot of heads of households in my area spend all day out taking care of their livestock and will not leave them for any reason.

Last edited:

There are no advantages to stay.

Forum List

Back