308 auto is far better vs bears or moose than 45-70

May 21, 2015
there is no such thing as a 'brush-bucking" bullet. Even 12 ga slugs (not rotating like a rifle bullet) are EASILY deflected by brush. If the brush is contacted close to the gun (due to looking over the sights and not noticing the twig) the effect is normally far worse than if the brush/bullet impact occurs close to the target. The reason for this is two fold. One, the bullet is not yet fully stabilized (by gyro spin for the rifle bullet, or the nose-heaviness of the 12 ga slug) and because the greater distance traveled after contact with brush allows for the bullet/slug to be further diverted off its intended flight path.

The 308 autoloader is much easier to get (swift, up close) repeat hits with, vs the 45-70 lever action. The 308 has less recoil in the first place, the gas-op auto action "soaks up" some of the felt recoil, and the lever action takes a lot longer to cycle and a lot more practice to get fast hits. The 45-70 ammo is COMICALLY overpriced. Just the reloading components for 45-70 cost as much as 308 milsurp practice ammo.

The 45-70 is near worthless at ranges beyond 150 yds, cause it drifts in the wind like a balloon and drops like a stone, due to its large flat pointed bullet "bucking" a lot of wind resistance., as well a low initial velocity. google up a ballistics chart, and compare the 45-70 to the 308, sheesh

The 308 auto is many times the better choice for deer, elk, or men, because of the 308's rapidfire advantage, the greater ease at hitting at longer ranges, and the much greater likelihood of having PRACTICED with it (enough) 45-70 fans tend to be just talk, little or no action.

For stopping charges by large animals, chest hits cannot be relied upon. It ALWAYS takes 4 or more seconds for loss of organ function or blood loss to shut down a mammal. SOMETIMES, shock can do the job, especially on men, but this is rare with large, adrenalized, 4 legged animals. It is commonplace for a 100 lb deer to run a ways after being solidly chest-hit with a 12 ga slug, which has twice the frontal area of a 45-70 bullet, and the same momentum. So why would you expect a 500 lb PREDATOR bear or 1000 lb moose to be stopped by a chest hit with a 45-70, hmm? ONLY BRAIN hits (or fluke spine hits) can be relied upon to stop charges, and the 308 auto has several times a greater probability of getting the brain hit, because of its ease of rapidfire hitting and lower cost practice.

Put a deep penetrating, expanding(but holding together) bulllet in the 308, like the 180 gr Nosler Partition, and the 308 auto does fine vs large critters. If you want to reach further than the 180 allows, just use the 165 gr Nosler.

Partition Bullet Nosler

If bears are a possibility I would much prefer the .45-70.

I'm with you. I have used a 45-70 on wild hogs for years. I have never thought of any round as a "brush buster", but I do consider my 45-70 to be a very good "thumper" rifle.

But at least prison/con has finally figured out that the .308 is an excellent round. I'm surprised he isn't touting an M4 with a silencer as good bear medicine.

The worst part of the suggestion is not that it is a .38, but that it is a hammerless revolver. That means a heavy trigger pull, not conducive to the best accuracy. If you plan to stop a big predator with a .38, you better be dead-on accurate.

there is no such thing as a 'brush-bucking" bullet. Even 12 ga slugs (not rotating like a rifle bullet) are EASILY deflected by brush. If the brush is contacted close to the gun (due to looking over the sights and not noticing the twig) the effect is normally far worse than if the brush/bullet impact occurs close to the target. The reason for this is two fold. One, the bullet is not yet fully stabilized (by gyro spin for the rifle bullet, or the nose-heaviness of the 12 ga slug) and because the greater distance traveled after contact with brush allows for the bullet/slug to be further diverted off its intended flight path.

The 308 autoloader is much easier to get (swift, up close) repeat hits with, vs the 45-70 lever action. The 308 has less recoil in the first place, the gas-op auto action "soaks up" some of the felt recoil, and the lever action takes a lot longer to cycle and a lot more practice to get fast hits. The 45-70 ammo is COMICALLY overpriced. Just the reloading components for 45-70 cost as much as 308 milsurp practice ammo.

The 45-70 is near worthless at ranges beyond 150 yds, cause it drifts in the wind like a balloon and drops like a stone, due to its large flat pointed bullet "bucking" a lot of wind resistance., as well a low initial velocity. google up a ballistics chart, and compare the 45-70 to the 308, sheesh

The 308 auto is many times the better choice for deer, elk, or men, because of the 308's rapidfire advantage, the greater ease at hitting at longer ranges, and the much greater likelihood of having PRACTICED with it (enough) 45-70 fans tend to be just talk, little or no action.

For stopping charges by large animals, chest hits cannot be relied upon. It ALWAYS takes 4 or more seconds for loss of organ function or blood loss to shut down a mammal. SOMETIMES, shock can do the job, especially on men, but this is rare with large, adrenalized, 4 legged animals. It is commonplace for a 100 lb deer to run a ways after being solidly chest-hit with a 12 ga slug, which has twice the frontal area of a 45-70 bullet, and the same momentum. So why would you expect a 500 lb PREDATOR bear or 1000 lb moose to be stopped by a chest hit with a 45-70, hmm? ONLY BRAIN hits (or fluke spine hits) can be relied upon to stop charges, and the 308 auto has several times a greater probability of getting the brain hit, because of its ease of rapidfire hitting and lower cost practice.

Put a deep penetrating, expanding(but holding together) bulllet in the 308, like the 180 gr Nosler Partition, and the 308 auto does fine vs large critters. If you want to reach further than the 180 allows, just use the 165 gr Nosler.

Partition Bullet Nosler

maybe i took one out with a bow several years ago

Sure. Deadly serious. That gun is more than enough to keep you off the menu

If you are willing to face the attack of a lion, tiger or bear with a 5 shot, hammerless .38, you are nuts.

Nonsense. A 38 is more than enough to send the average curious/ hungry bear packing.

An enraged/attacking bear can just as easily get past your cannons, so in the end you're no better off than me with my tiny little peashooter.

Last edited:
The worst part of the suggestion is not that it is a .38, but that it is a hammerless revolver. That means a heavy trigger pull, not conducive to the best accuracy. If you plan to stop a big predator with a .38, you better be dead-on accurate.

Well from your standpoint I can agree with your concern over a heavy trigger pull. But keep in mind, you're not out there hunting with that gun. You're simply relying on it for personal protection and nothing more.

If bears are a possibility I would much prefer the .45-70.

+ 10

I had a 45-70 trap door one time......and I could launch 405 grain bullets at least 300 yards.

And if I was in bear country, Mountain Lion Country, or any areas around or near the Pacific Northwest.....I wuld want a .44 mag revolver ( ?? Smith& Wesson model 69 ) with 240 grain bullets, and a 45-70 lever gun....with 405 grain bullets.

I believe the original post to be misinforming and inaccurate.

Shadow 355

Sure. Deadly serious. That gun is more than enough to keep you off the menu

If you are willing to face the attack of a lion, tiger or bear with a 5 shot, hammerless .38, you are nuts.

Nonsense. A 38 is more than enough to send the average curious/ hungry bear packing.

An enraged/attacking bear can just as easily get past your cannons, so in the end you're no better off than me with my tiny little peashooter.

A .38 is very likely to only wound the bear. That creates a monster. I would suggest something MUCH bigger.

Well from your standpoint I can agree with your concern over a heavy trigger pull. But keep in mind, you're not out there hunting with that gun. You're simply relying on it for personal protection and nothing more.

Which makes the accuracy even more important. If I am hunting and miss with the first shot, my prey runs off and I go home empty handed. If I use the .38 for protection against an attacking bear, and miss, I become dinner for Ursus.

Which makes the accuracy even more important. If I am hunting and miss with the first shot, my prey runs off and I go home empty handed. If I use the .38 for protection against an attacking bear, and miss, I become dinner for Ursus.

I'm sorry but your senerio is deeply flawed and leaves me wondering about your knowledge, or possibly lack there of, when it comes to being out in the sticks.

Your mistaken belief that you're somehow safe from a bear with an empty gun in your hand, after wasting the only round in a missed shot, yet you are certain to die from that same bear with a loaded 38 in your hand.

Maybe you need to rethink your senerios.

Last edited:
Only a fool goes after a moose with a shotgun, even with rifled slugs.

OTOH, an 18-1/8 inch 10 gauge loaded with sabot rounds is perfect for a Sunday walk in grizzly bear country.

Thing is, it's tough to get ammo for the 10 anymore, especially the sort with the copper split load that makes grizz pay attention.

Forum List

Back