54 days vs 113.

(2) there shouldn't be any connection between the beliefs of the American people and The Supreme Court.
Here's the connection. Typically, the prez has views that align with the majority of voters who put him in office. Those views are reflective of who he or she nominates for the SC. For example, a Dem prez would not nominate someone willing to overturn a 50 year old legal precedent giving women certain reproductive rights. Nor would a Dem prez nominate someone who does not believe the government has the right to take guns away from a domestic abuser.

Got it?

Here's the connection. Typically, the prez has views that align with the majority of voters who put him in office. Those views are reflective of who he or she nominates for the SC. For example, a Dem prez would not nominate someone willing to overturn a 50 year old legal precedent giving women certain reproductive rights. Nor would a Dem prez nominate someone who does not believe the government has the right to take guns away from a domestic abuser.
Thomas is just nuts.

“While Congress cannot revive disarmament laws based on race, one can easily imagine a world where political minorities or those with disfavored cultural views are deemed the next ‘dangers’ to society,” he wrote".

"Disfavored cultural views"?

Would be.............

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that individuals who pose a “credible threat to the physical safety of another” may be stripped of their guns.

The only thing I disagree with is........
  • Terms of 26 years or death (therefore every Presidential term has two nominations unless death)
Way too long.
That would mean a change once every two years...

Reason I have said that is because it it was every year then a President would have 7+ justices (a majority) for his last two years while the next President will effectively dealing with previous Presidents majority...

I think it should be totally up for discussion... But I hope you see where I am coming from..

Add to the previous post -

neither of you understand

(1) there is no national popular vote to win or lose.
(2) there shouldn't be any connection between the beliefs of the American people and The Supreme Court.

The SCOTUS fidelity is -TO THE CONSTITUTION - not to the feelings of the American people.

You two shouldn't even be allowed in a group where serious people discuss serious subjects.
So you believe that the Constitution is a 'dead' constitution which is very hard to change and is not meant to refect the changing views of Americans...

You would prefer US to be a hostage to the past rather prepared for the future...

That would mean a change once every two years...
Didn't you state 26 years?
Reason I have said that is because it it was every year then a President would have 7+ justices (a majority) for his last two years while the next President will effectively dealing with previous Presidents majority...

I think it should be totally up for discussion... But I hope you see where I am coming from..
I think a president should nominate a judge to the supreme court.
When he does he/she is voted for or against by the people, not politicians.

This needs to stop.

www.npr.org › 2020/09/18 › 100306972Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87 : NPR

Sep 18, 2020 · Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause​

time.com › 5902166Amy Coney Barrett Confirmed to Supreme Court Before Election ...Oct 27, 2020 ·​

Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to the Supreme Court Monday along a near party-line vote, cementing a strong conservative majority on the nation’s highest court just over one​

20 year term limits is what I favor.
So that would mean a turn over of the full court every 5 Presidential terms.

Increase the court to 13... It needs to be increased due to work load alone.. It also reflects the 13 District courts... 13 also allows the court to better when down a justice...

That would mean a President would nominate 2-3 justices per term... Ideally you wouldn't want a President to be nominating 6 justices, ie 5 is the max...

So that would mean a turn over of the full court every 5 Presidential terms.

Increase the court to 13... It needs to be increased due to work load alone.. It also reflects the 13 District courts... 13 also allows the court to better when down a justice...

That would mean a President would nominate 2-3 justices per term... Ideally you wouldn't want a President to be nominating 6 justices, ie 5 is the max...

I say increase it to 50
One for each state.

As soon as President Trump is back in office.

Thomas is just nuts.

“While Congress cannot revive disarmament laws based on race, one can easily imagine a world where political minorities or those with disfavored cultural views are deemed the next ‘dangers’ to society,” he wrote".

"Disfavored cultural views"?

Would be.............

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that individuals who pose a “credible threat to the physical safety of another” may be stripped of their guns.
Clarence makes himself sound like he suffers from paranoia. He's heard the Right say "they're coming for your guns" one too many times.

Didn't you state 26 years?

I think a president should nominate a judge to the supreme court.
When he does he/she is voted for or against by the people, not politicians.

This needs to stop.

www.npr.org › 2020/09/18 › 100306972Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87 : NPR

Sep 18, 2020 · Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause​

time.com › 5902166Amy Coney Barrett Confirmed to Supreme Court Before Election ...Oct 27, 2020 ·​

Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to the Supreme Court Monday along a near party-line vote, cementing a strong conservative majority on the nation’s highest court just over one​

It was an act of anti-democratic treachery unparalleled in US history. But here's the thing. Mitch is okay with that because he got the super majority of right wing extremists he's always dreamed of.

Fake Impeachments
Fake J6 Infomercials
Fake trials

The trained seals in the Echo Chamber of The Democrat Media Bubble have lost all ability to think for themselves.
Everything is fake to you...

We will ask you for hard evidence (i.e. stuff that would stand up in court...

You will get upset and call people names...

So lets go again... Where is your evidence..

I say increase it to 50
One for each state.

As soon as President Trump is back in office.
So your answer is to:
Say Government doesn't work
Then break Government
and then claim Government doesn't work...

Sorry but people need to be voting that want to get Government working for the people...
Thanks for your option, but quite a few will ignore you.

So your answer is to:
Say Government doesn't work
Then break Government
and then claim Government doesn't work...

Sorry but people need to be voting that want to get Government working for the people...
Thanks for your option, but quite a few will ignore you.
Repubs are known for trying to make the "government doesn't work" meme come true by being both incompetent and disinterested in effective governance.

Fake Impeachments
Fake J6 Infomercials
Fake trials

The trained seals in the Echo Chamber of The Democrat Media Bubble have lost all ability to think for themselves.
Everything is fake to you...

We will ask you for hard evidence (i.e. stuff that would stand up in court...

You will get upset and call people names...

So lets go again... Where is your evidence..

Repubs are known for trying to make the "government doesn't work" meme come true by being both incompetent and disinterested in effective governance.
I m always suprised why the Dems don't lean into this position.

GOP say Government doesn't work... Well you have been in Government long enough and all you do is break it more....

The Government belongs to the People. It won both World Wars, went to the moon, cured smallpox and many other diseases....
Why send someone to Washington to break it and stop it working...

Republicans for decades have ran on the claim............"Gubmint doesn't work".
Then get elected.............. and prove it.

I m always suprised why the Dems don't lean into this position.

GOP say Government doesn't work... Well you have been in Government long enough and all you do is break it more....

The Government belongs to the People. It won both World Wars, went to the moon, cured smallpox and many other diseases....
Why send someone to Washington to break it and stop it working...
Too many people use the word government as if it's an abstraction. We the people are solely responsible for the quality of our own governance.

The Republic died in 1913. It took some years and decades in different ways to end it and then become a Democracy. A simple idea that central government could be minimal was ended as time would erode the principles of the greatest experiment in human history. Ironically, people could mess with each other, and they did. Giving a choice of living in that era I do not look at as good as now for me. Government is corrupted. In the 1980's with a one trillion- and two-billion-dollar size government it was estimated that a third of it was corrupted. So, 1.2 trillion minus a third at that time. Say it was less. It existed. and it exists now. With a two trillion-dollar deficit. So, a 7 trillion-dollar budget with a trillion dollars in corruption and most likely more plus the deficit.

Forum List

Back