8 thugs vs. a guy, his wife and his gun...gun owner arrested for warning shot...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is for you Brain357, Joe, and AtticusF...

See, this is one of the hazards pointed out in gun studies as to why it is difficult to get complete numbers on defensive gun uses...here is a guy with his wife threatened by 8 thugs....he draws his weapon to warn the aggressive thugs off...and they don't back down...he fires a warning shot...trying not to kill anyone...and when the police show up...he gets in trouble for shooting the warning shot...

Video WV Sunday School Teacher Arrested For Warning Shot After Being Accosted by 8 Suspects
A WV Sunday school teacher, Chris Harris, who was on his way home from church with his girlfriend is now facing serious criminal charges after firing a warning shot into the air.

According to WTOV,

“It was one of the most scariest experiences I have ever been though,” said CC Roxby, Harris’ fiancé. “They surrounded me saying some pretty vulgar things like they were going to rape my wife in front of me, cut me,” Harris said. Roxby said she called 911, but one man continued to be aggressive.

“The kid kept advancing on me, saying it wasn’t a real gun, and I would much rather shoot a shot into the air to prevent them from attacking me rather than them attacking me and me shooting someone,” Harris said.

“The cruisers were coming down the street at that point and the young men ran away,” Roxby said. “Instead of them following the gang, the officers arrested Chris for firing a shot into the air.”

No one was shot, no one was killed, the guy used his gun to stop a criminal assault....and in firing a warning shot he is the one in trouble...

This is why if the criminals had run away, he may not have called the police...

No warning shots. Ever. If you truly feel your life is about to be over right now then you shoot. If not, don't even pull the gun.
It's sad the guy thought he was doing the right thing. Better training would have helped.

He should be given leniency.

It's not as though he was plastered and shooting up into the air for fun.

You try having 8 people coming towards you with bad intent and you think how you might react as the fear and panic hits you.

He should be given leniency.

It's not as though he was plastered and shooting up into the air for fun.

You try having 8 people coming towards you with bad intent and you think how you might react as the fear and panic hits you.
I agree fined one dollar and probation for 30 days. Maybe sentenced to take a handgun carry class where they discuss issues like that in a legal context.

Do not ever shoot into the air. Ever. The bullets come down. That's when a warning shot becomes a kill shot.

This is for you Brain357, Joe, and AtticusF...

See, this is one of the hazards pointed out in gun studies as to why it is difficult to get complete numbers on defensive gun uses...here is a guy with his wife threatened by 8 thugs....he draws his weapon to warn the aggressive thugs off...and they don't back down...he fires a warning shot...trying not to kill anyone...and when the police show up...he gets in trouble for shooting the warning shot...

Video WV Sunday School Teacher Arrested For Warning Shot After Being Accosted by 8 Suspects
A WV Sunday school teacher, Chris Harris, who was on his way home from church with his girlfriend is now facing serious criminal charges after firing a warning shot into the air.

According to WTOV,

“It was one of the most scariest experiences I have ever been though,” said CC Roxby, Harris’ fiancé. “They surrounded me saying some pretty vulgar things like they were going to rape my wife in front of me, cut me,” Harris said. Roxby said she called 911, but one man continued to be aggressive.

“The kid kept advancing on me, saying it wasn’t a real gun, and I would much rather shoot a shot into the air to prevent them from attacking me rather than them attacking me and me shooting someone,” Harris said.

“The cruisers were coming down the street at that point and the young men ran away,” Roxby said. “Instead of them following the gang, the officers arrested Chris for firing a shot into the air.”

No one was shot, no one was killed, the guy used his gun to stop a criminal assault....and in firing a warning shot he is the one in trouble...

This is why if the criminals had run away, he may not have called the police...
Next time just shoot one of the thugs.

I do feel bad for the guy. As The Rabbi said, he felt he was doing the right thing by showing restraint, but the moment they kept advancing he should have started shooting. Warning shots can be dangerous to anybody around you. In the end, I'm sure he'll get away with a slap on the wrist.

I do feel bad for the guy. As The Rabbi said, he felt he was doing the right thing by showing restraint, but the moment they kept advancing he should have started shooting. Warning shots can be dangerous to anybody around you. In the end, I'm sure he'll get away with a slap on the wrist.
It being West VA probably.
But there was a young black woman in NJ or FL or someplace who basically did just that and ended up going to jail. Her warning shot was taken as proof that she did not feel she was under immediate threat of death or severe bodily harm. Which is the standard for good shoot.

Whatever he did was in self-defense so IMO it would not be illegal. If he had shot them, he would claim self-defense and get off, and I don't see how what he got arrested for would be any different.

If he had started shooting them, which it sounds like he could have, it would have taken a bad toll on human life, no matter how much they deserved it. Again IMO, the warning shot saved human lives, and the law should take that into account.

What goes up must come down. Shoot the fucker.
Yeah, he really should have opened fire on all of them if he felt he was in danger. He likely wouldnt be in any trouble at all if he had done that, of course it cant be easy to just shoot someone. I think most people arent ready to make a move like that.

Forum List

Back