A Balanced View of Climate Change

Borg is an idiot, hth. The OP and others, like Borg, are not discussing any current consequences (and costs) we are presently experiencing as the world warms and human activities place other pressures on the totality of the biosphere.

New study calculates climate change’s economic bite will hit about $38 trillion a year by 2049​

Climate change will reduce future global income by about 19% in the next 25 years compared to a fictional world that’s not warming, with the poorest areas and those least responsible for heating the atmosphere taking the biggest monetary hit, a new study said.

Climate change’s economic bite in how much people make is already locked in at about $38 trillion a year by 2049, according to Wednesday’s study in the journal Nature by researchers at Germany’s Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. By 2100 the financial cost could hit twice what previous studies estimate.

“Our analysis shows that climate change will cause massive economic damages within the next 25 years in almost all countries around the world, also in highly-developed ones such as Germany and the U.S., with a projected median income reduction of 11% each and France with 13%,” said study co-author Leonie Wenz, a climate scientist and economist.

These damages are compared to a baseline of no climate change and are then applied against overall expected global growth in gross domestic product, said study lead author Max Kotz, a climate scientist. So while it’s 19% globally less than it could have been with no climate change, in most places, income will still grow, just not as much because of warmer temperatures.

1713982430809.png

The next glacial period will cover significant parts of NA, Asia and Europe with 1000's of feet of ice and displace 250 million people. Property loss would exceed 1 quadrillion dollars.
Where is the reference source for your property loss claim?

Where is the reference source for your property loss claim?
Good grief. Seriously? New York City alone is 2.8 trillion dollars. How much do you think the rest of the NE US, all of Canada, the UK, etc. is worth?

Globally, the most significant impact of the ice age was the formation of massive ice sheets at the poles. Ice sheets up to 4km thick blanketed much of northern Europe, Canada, northern America and northern Russia.

Today, these ice caps would displace around 250 million people and bury cities such as Detroit, Manchester, Vancouver, Hamburg, and Helsinki.

Good grief. Seriously? New York City alone is 2.8 trillion dollars. How much do you think the rest of the NE US, all of Canada, the UK, etc. is worth?

Globally, the most significant impact of the ice age was the formation of massive ice sheets at the poles. Ice sheets up to 4km thick blanketed much of northern Europe, Canada, northern America and northern Russia.

Today, these ice caps would displace around 250 million people and bury cities such as Detroit, Manchester, Vancouver, Hamburg, and Helsinki.

So, you don't have a reference. When you don't you should either avoid numbers or use some serious qualifiers.

Now how long do you think it will take for Detroit and the rest to become inundated by ice? And please let us know if you have a reference for your answer or if its anally derived like all the rest of your work.

So, you don't have a reference. When you don't you should either avoid numbers or use some serious qualifiers.

Now how long do you think it will take for Detroit and the rest to become inundated by ice? And please let us know if you have a reference for your answer or if its anally derived like all the rest of your work.
Don't worry... when the AMOC switches off there will be plenty of references. As for when that will happen...

"...The preceding four interglacial periods are seen at about 125,000, 280,000, 325,000 and 415,000 years before now, with much longer glacial periods in between. All four previous interglacial periods are seen to be warmer than the present. The typical length of a glacial period is about 100,000 years, while an interglacial period typically lasts for about 10-15,000 years. The present inter-glacial period has now lasted about 11,600 years..."

https://www.ssb.no/en/natur-og-milj...594b9225f9d7dc458b0b70a646baec3339/DP1007.pdf

Don't worry... when the AMOC switches off there will be plenty of references. As for when that will happen...

"...The preceding four interglacial periods are seen at about 125,000, 280,000, 325,000 and 415,000 years before now, with much longer glacial periods in between. All four previous interglacial periods are seen to be warmer than the present. The typical length of a glacial period is about 100,000 years, while an interglacial period typically lasts for about 10-15,000 years. The present inter-glacial period has now lasted about 11,600 years..."

https://www.ssb.no/en/natur-og-milj...594b9225f9d7dc458b0b70a646baec3339/DP1007.pdf
And we have passed its peak 6,000 years ago. Until the Industrial Revolution, the world was getting cooler.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Are you even listening to yourself?
Is it? You should listen to yourself now and then. I've been listening to scientists who tell us such things. They show us data like these:

1715168713883.png

1715168739660.png

1715168755516.png

1715168790593.png

You're changin
Were the previous transitions from glacial periods to interglacial periods gentle or abrupt? Can you tell me why you believe transitions from glacial periods to interglacial periods would be gentle transitions? Because I can tell you why they are abrupt.

View attachment 943684
I don't give two shits for your opinion on anything. If you want to impress me with ideas, bring them from other people that might actually have some scientific credentials.

The HCO was this interglacial's maximum temperature and the world was cooling prior to the Industrial Revolution.

You're changin

I don't give two shits for your opinion on anything. If you want to impress me with ideas, bring them from other people that might actually have some scientific credentials.

The HCO was this interglacial's maximum temperature and the world was cooling prior to the Industrial Revolution.
So in other words, you can't post any climate data from previous transitions from interglacial periods to glacial periods or driving mechanism that supports your silly belief that the planet was on a gentle cooling trend that I can only assume you believe would have kept gently cooling.

So in other words, you can't post any climate data from previous transitions from interglacial periods to glacial periods or driving mechanism that supports your silly belief that the planet was on a gentle cooling trend that I can only assume you believe would have kept gently cooling.

I don't give a shit about previous transitions. My concern regards THIS one; the one you never want to talk about.

Last edited:
I don't give a shit about previous transitions. My concern regards THIS one; the one you never want to talk about.
Obviously you don't give a shit about them since nothing about them support your beliefs about this one.

I am talking about this one. What caused the planet to cool prior to the industrial revolution?

New study calculates climate change’s economic bite will hit about $38 trillion a year by 2049​

Climate change will reduce future global income by about 19% in the next 25 years compared to a fictional world that’s not warming, with the poorest areas and those least responsible for heating the atmosphere taking the biggest monetary hit, a new study said.

Climate change’s economic bite in how much people make is already locked in at about $38 trillion a year by 2049, according to Wednesday’s study in the journal Nature by researchers at Germany’s Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. By 2100 the financial cost could hit twice what previous studies estimate.

“Our analysis shows that climate change will cause massive economic damages within the next 25 years in almost all countries around the world, also in highly-developed ones such as Germany and the U.S., with a projected median income reduction of 11% each and France with 13%,” said study co-author Leonie Wenz, a climate scientist and economist.

These damages are compared to a baseline of no climate change and are then applied against overall expected global growth in gross domestic product, said study lead author Max Kotz, a climate scientist. So while it’s 19% globally less than it could have been with no climate change, in most places, income will still grow, just not as much because of warmer temperatures.
It's a wonder why summertime doesn't destroy economies. :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back