A Few Views of Islam

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
A montage of today's reports

Pakistani Woman Auctioned off by her in-laws @ Pakistani Woman "auctioned off by her in-laws" has been recovered - Atlas Shrugs

Christians arrested in Ethiopa for “Crimes against Islam” @ Pakistani Woman "auctioned off by her in-laws" has been recovered - Atlas Shrugs

Muslim slashed friends after they voice support for London beheading victim @ Muslim slashes friends after they voiced support for London beheading victim Lee Rigby - Atlas Shrugs

Muslims bury 16-year-old girl alive in honor killing @ Muslims bury 16-year-old girl alive in honor killing - Atlas Shrugs

Teacher in Egypt sentenced for “Defaming Islam”. @ Teacher in Egypt Sentenced for 'Defaming' Islam - Atlas Shrugs

Video: Muslims attack white youths in England @ Video: Muslims attack white youths in England | Creeping Sharia

California mass shooter who killed six – was Muslim
@ California mass shooter who killed 6 was?Muslim | Creeping Sharia

all the above have links to original sources.

Pakistani Woman Auctioned off by her in-laws @ Pakistani Woman "auctioned off by her in-laws" has been recovered - Atlas Shrugs

Christians arrested in Ethiopa for “Crimes against Islam” @ Pakistani Woman "auctioned off by her in-laws" has been recovered - Atlas Shrugs

Muslim slashed friends after they voice support for London beheading victim @ Muslim slashes friends after they voiced support for London beheading victim Lee Rigby - Atlas Shrugs

Muslims bury 16-year-old girl alive in honor killing @ Muslims bury 16-year-old girl alive in honor killing - Atlas Shrugs

Teacher in Egypt sentenced for “Defaming Islam”. @ Teacher in Egypt Sentenced for 'Defaming' Islam - Atlas Shrugs

Video: Muslims attack white youths in England @ Video: Muslims attack white youths in England | Creeping Sharia

Totally depressing, isn't it?

Muslims attack White youths in England This is a video that has been taken in Ashton Under Lyne, England that shows a gang of Muslim youths attacking a group of white kids. Just before the filming had started one of the muslim youths had punched one of the white girls in the face. This is becoming a regular occurence on the streets of the UK.

Check it out... Muslim punks whuppin' on girls.

I'm not sure why this is in the religion section, most of this stuff doesn't have anything to do with theology, but really has more to do with poor institutions and corruption within developing countries.

Take the Ethiopia case for instance (which is mislinked FYI). Ethiopia has no blasphemy laws and is a majority Christian country, the detention of these people represents police corruption, the motive could really be anything, most often it is an attempt to court bribery money (I've worked with Ethiopian systems before and much the same is pretty true of most Sub-Saharan African countries, I've had to deal with extortion and corruption / bribery in Kenya, the DR Congo, and Nigeria as well.

The same seems to be the case with the story surrounding Egypt. The official channels found nothing wrong, but there appears to have been something suspect going on with the parents of some of the accusing children and subsequent corruption either through influence of the parents or through an exchange of money / threats. As a side note the statute that she was tried under was put into place long before the Muslim Brotherhood came into power, so the opening lines of the article seem a little dishonest to me. Article two of the Egyptian constitution has long held Islam and hadiths as a main source of Egyptian law sets, and it is up to the judiciary (not the executive) to determine what that means.

As for the honor killing stories, they are horrible. Gender issues are among one of my major focuses (I wrote my graduate thesis on them) and I can say with a lot of confidence that, while horrible, they aren't rooted in Islamic theology, but are mostly rooted in conservative local traditions based on traditional gender roles and gender expectations. I have done quite a bit of work with women who have "lost their honor" and it happens in both Christian and Islamic majority countries. Same with child killing based on feelings of evil or accusations of witchcraft, It is a major issue, not only in Pakistan, but in Nigeria and the DR Congo as well. Same with Ghana. Same with India. It tends to more so be cultural than religious and can generally be found in regions where women's rights are low in general.

It also seems rather unfair to take individual incidents across a wide range of settings and populations and try to boil them all down to one single causal variable (Islam). The world generally isn't that simple / black and white and Islamic populations are incredibly diverse. It isn't appropriate to treat Muslims as a monolithic entity.

Sorry but Islam as currently taught is a problem. It promotes violence and disinformation. It is anti freedom and is a threat to all other religions. Further as currently taught it is a threat to democracies and non Islamic Countries.

Get back to us when the supposed moderates get rid of Jihad, lying to promote the faith , the concept of 3rd class citizens and female rights. Further let us know when the main tenant of Islam is no longer the overthrow of all other Religions and the religious running of all Governments.

Sorry but Islam as currently taught is a problem.

This strikes me as an odd comment. There is no single way to teach Islam so saying "how Islam is taught is a problem" doesn't make much sense as it ignores the huge diversity that exists within Islamic populations.

It promotes violence and disinformation.

And yet a vast majority of Muslims aren't violent, which would seem to contradict your assertion.

It is anti freedom and is a threat to all other religions.

And yet global public polling data (by Gallup) says that the main thing that Muslims in general admire about the "west" is our democracy / freedom. This too would seem to contradict your understanding of Islamic populations.

Yeah, that's pretty bad, I suppose, but XTIANITY is MUCH worse!!

/USMB progressive

Muslims as a group get a lot of hate and ire, because of the acts of a few. A few? Who knows… Religion itself bothers me, and Islam in particular. Because, I am agnostic I can’t tell a NICE Muslim from a bad one. Is there a tell, a sign, some little detail that betrays a bad Muslim from a GOOD one? I can’t tell anymore. Frankly, I don’t care anymore. We are ALL better off without religion, but ISAM is the rotten apple at the bottom of the barrel.

Muslims as a group get a lot of hate and ire, because of the acts of a few. A few? Who knows… Religion itself bothers me, and Islam in particular. Because, I am agnostic I can’t tell a NICE Muslim from a bad one. Is there a tell, a sign, some little detail that betrays a bad Muslim from a GOOD one? I can’t tell anymore. Frankly, I don’t care anymore. We are ALL better off without religion, but ISAM is the rotten apple at the bottom of the barrel.

You tell the same way you tell with anyone else. Not sure why it would be different with Muslims? :confused:

You tell the same way you tell with anyone else. Not sure why it would be different with Muslims? :confused:
With very few exceptions, the worst thing a militant Christian does is vote.

Militant Islamists?

TROP.jpg

The LRA? They have killed over 11,000 and mostly replenish their fighters by forcibly recruiting children after they force them to rape or kill members of their family.

They have been known to march into battle in the formation of a cross and use holy water in combat. They also massacred an entire village with machetes a couple of years ago on Christmas day. That's fairly extreme.

The war criminal Charles Taylor was a deacon at a Baptist church and had his soldiers eat the fetuses of unborn babies after they had been cut out of their mother's stomach. He started his conflict in Liberia initially under the guise of driving Islam out of the country and targeted mosques in northern Liberia. That's fairly extreme too.

Malawi also used to be run as a Puritan state. It was illegal for women to wear revealing clothing or for men to have long hair (among other codes of indecency).

The LRA? They have killed over 11,000 and mostly replenish their fighters by forcibly recruiting children after they force them to rape or kill members of their family.

They have been known to march into battle in the formation of a cross and use holy water in combat. They also massacred an entire village with machetes a couple of years ago on Christmas day. That's fairly extreme.

The war criminal Charles Taylor was a deacon at a Baptist church and had his soldiers eat the fetuses of unborn babies after they had been cut out of their mother's stomach. He started his conflict in Liberia initially under the guise of driving Islam out of the country and targeted mosques in northern Liberia. That's fairly extreme too.

Malawi also used to be run as a Puritan state. It was illegal for women to wear revealing clothing or for men to have long hair (among other codes of indecency).

The LRA is by no means Christian. It's a cult of personality.

So are many Islamic extremist groups. I've been covering the LRA for about a decade now. They broke away from the Holy Spirit movement and I agree they are a spiritual mix, Kony sees himself as a spirit medium for the Holy Spirit and other spiritual entities (when Catholicism was spread in the area the Catholic missionaries linked local spirits which were popular to the saints).

He launched his movement to establish a state based on the Ten Commandments and is more a christian mix than anything else. He would certainly classify himself as a Christian and that classification standard has always seemed good enough for people who criticize Islam.

Malaysia: Forced conversions of minors to Islam violates human rights @ Malaysia: Forced Conversions of minors to Islam violates Human Rights - Atlas Shrugs

Afghan Parliament upholds right to mary children, ban would violate Islamic principles @ Sharia in Action: Afghan parliament upholds right to marry children, ban would "violate Islamic principles" - Atlas Shrugs

UK tensions rise after Mulsims attack non-Muslim girls at bus stop @ UK: Tensions Rise after Muslims attack non-Muslim Girls at Bus stop - Atlas Shrugs

France: Muslims attack man eating a ham sandwich @ France: Muslims Attack Man Eating a Ham Sandwich - Atlas Shrugs

Malaysia: Forced conversions of minors to Islam violates human rights @ Malaysia: Forced Conversions of minors to Islam violates Human Rights - Atlas Shrugs

Afghan Parliament upholds right to mary children, ban would violate Islamic principles @ Sharia in Action: Afghan parliament upholds right to marry children, ban would "violate Islamic principles" - Atlas Shrugs

UK tensions rise after Mulsims attack non-Muslim girls at bus stop @ UK: Tensions Rise after Muslims attack non-Muslim Girls at Bus stop - Atlas Shrugs

France: Muslims attack man eating a ham sandwich @ France: Muslims Attack Man Eating a Ham Sandwich - Atlas Shrugs

And over a billion Muslims didn't engage in violence today.

Not sure what your point is. In the DR Congo Christian soldiers burned 16 people alive today. That doesn't make Christianity evil anymore than your laundry lists makes Islam evil.

Sorry but Islam as currently taught is a problem. It promotes violence and disinformation. It is anti freedom and is a threat to all other religions. Further as currently taught it is a threat to democracies and non Islamic Countries.

Get back to us when the supposed moderates get rid of Jihad, lying to promote the faith , the concept of 3rd class citizens and female rights. Further let us know when the main tenant of Islam is no longer the overthrow of all other Religions and the religious running of all Governments.

But--but--but---someone on a mental high throne, would publicly disagree:

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings. :rofl: :rofl:

.....Barack Obama June 4th, 2009

So are many Islamic extremist groups. I've been covering the LRA for about a decade now. They broke away from the Holy Spirit movement and I agree they are a spiritual mix, Kony sees himself as a spirit medium for the Holy Spirit and other spiritual entities (when Catholicism was spread in the area the Catholic missionaries linked local spirits which were popular to the saints).

He launched his movement to establish a state based on the Ten Commandments and is more a christian mix than anything else. He would certainly classify himself as a Christian and that classification standard has always seemed good enough for people who criticize Islam.
The history of Islam -- all of it, from its inception to today -- is flowing with blood.

Christianity? Not so much. We got over that.

Forum List

Back