A Great Light In The Dark - Isaiah 9

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
The glorious light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is saving multitudes throughout the world right now. As the world grows darker and falls deeper into sin, there is those whom God is calling out of the darkness and into His Marvelous Light. Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Jesus Christ is Lord. Isaiah 9 reveals Jesus Christ. To God be the glory!

Isaiah 9 King James Version (KJV)

9 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations.

2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

3 Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil.

4 For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian.

5 For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire.

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

8 The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.

9 And all the people shall know, even Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, that say in the pride and stoutness of heart,

10 The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars.

11 Therefore the Lord shall set up the adversaries of Rezin against him, and join his enemies together;

12 The Syrians before, and the Philistines behind; and they shall devour Israel with open mouth. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

13 For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the Lord of hosts.

14 Therefore the Lord will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day.

15 The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail.

16 For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.

17 Therefore the Lord shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

18 For wickedness burneth as the fire: it shall devour the briers and thorns, and shall kindle in the thickets of the forest, and they shall mount up like the lifting up of smoke.

19 Through the wrath of the Lord of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother.

20 And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm:

21 Manasseh, Ephraim; and Ephraim, Manasseh: and they together shall be against Judah. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

When I read Isaiah 9 it reminds me that the God of Israel is holy. That God chastised His Own people because a good Father does not permit His children to be wayward without bringing correction. It is a sign of His love and an eternal warning to all that God is holy and that He does bring judgment upon those who reject His warnings. Today we see America hanging in the balance - the judgment of God is hanging over America right now. Those who fear the Lord must depart from evil and walk in the light. The backslider must turn from his own "ways" and follow the Lord Jesus Christ. ......without holiness no one shall see the LORD.

Isaiah 7 King James Version (KJV)
7 And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.

2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.

3 Then said the Lord unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;

4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.

5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,

6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:

7 Thus saith the Lord God, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.

8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.

9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

10 Moreover the Lord spake again unto Ahaz, saying,

11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.

12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord.

13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?

14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

17 The Lord shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.

18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.

19 And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.

20 In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.

21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;

22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.

23 And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.

24 With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.

25 And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

How magnificent is the counsel of the Lord God Almighty? Why would anyone reject the counsel of God? With God's counsel there is safety. Without God's counsel the people perish.

What manner of love is this? That God sent His Only Begotten Son to hang on a cross at Calvary and shed His Own Blood and die for our redemption? God raised His Only Begotten Son on the third day and Jesus Christ makes intercession for us at the right hand of the Father. What depth of gratitude should every believer show to the Jew - whom God has told us - our salvation springs forth from (John 4)? When the Jews are suffering - be it in Israel - Europe, America, wherever they may be - we should suffer with them and pray for God to comfort them. When the Jews rejoice - we should rejoice with them and thank God for His blessings upon them. When the Jews have need of anything we should see to it that we do not withhold our own hand from helping them whether it be financially or in prayer or in speaking up for them and defending them. God sees everything. He knows everything. God is watching us. What is your heart toward the Jewish people today? If we do not have love in our hearts toward the Jewish people how can the love of God abide in our heart? It is not possible. If there is any bitterness, any unforgiveness, any resentment toward the Jewish people pray that the Lord take it out of you before it leads to your own destruction. .....without holiness no one will see the LORD.

As darkness grows, even small lights become brighter by comparison.

How true. In that same vein of thought - the small lights are growing brighter and there are some lights which once shone brightly but are growing dimmer.

I pray that God keep me because apart from Him I can do nothing. If I were to tell you of what is happening right now you would know that even when Satan does all he can to put your light out - God is faithful to send someone - even you today - to remind - that even a small light counts. I am a very small light and Satan is trying to crush me from every side at this writing. This present battle is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy. It is only by the grace of God that I am still standing this morning. Please pray that God strengthens me. I need your prayers today.

How true. In that same vein of thought - the small lights are growing brighter and there are some lights which once shone brightly but are growing dimmer.

I pray that God keep me because apart from Him I can do nothing. If I were to tell you of what is happening right now you would know that even when Satan does all he can to put your light out - God is faithful to send someone - even you today - to remind - that even a small light counts. I am a very small light and Satan is trying to crush me from every side at this writing. This present battle is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy. It is only by the grace of God that I am still standing this morning. Please pray that God strengthens me. I need your prayers today.
I frequently pray for our brothers under attack. Remember that Satan can do nothing that God not only knows is coming, but has already handled.

The verse reminds me how great King Hezekiah was as prince of peace for brining peace to Judah. Oh how he carried his father Ahaz's kingdom on his shoulders.
While as you admited the darkness in this world and lacking peace is obviously Jesus' fault since he had first crack at the reigns.

It also reminds me where Hezekiah got his council, since it wasn't from Jesus it was successful, but also proving he is not who you claim him to be.
Seek the answer to this in the Hezekiah Apochryphon-Dead Sea Scrolls Commentary on Hezekiah in Isaiah.
JW's believe because it says Aggelos (Malakh) of great counsel in Isaiah 9:6 that
Archangel Michael is assisting Hezekiah.
The commentary on Hezekiah in the Dead Sea Scrolls (Hezekiah Apochryphon 4Q 470) shows the JW's were correct.
9:7 shows this person was a Davidic king which Hezekiah was thus having his Father King Ahaz's kingdom placed upon his shoulders.
By placing anyone else in this historical reference is to be a thief and a liar.

Forum List

Back