AI-assisted police reports not welcome in King County due to potential errors

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This is SO very problematic for multiple reasons.

In my experience, writing reports is the least favored task for those who work in law enforcement & investigations. And there is nothing more frustrating that having to wait to get your hands on a needed criminal report only to find it riddled with mistakes and/or omission of critical pieces of information.

I LOVE how much AI has assisted me in my everyday life and I utilize a handheld recorder that translates in real-time, the audio it picks up. The audio quality is as good as any other of my handheld recorders however the translation is horrible when it comes to accuracy. I doubt it gets 50% of the verbiage right.

Still, in some ways and for some situations it's easier to modify a text document than create one from scratch, And I don't know if it's a reluctance to take the time out to correct the mistakes that AI produces or it's just easier to let it go through with the thought that "in all likelihood it won't matter" but it's being reported that the reports are getting through to the courts with glaring mistakes in them, so much so that the court is now refusing to accept reports that are AI generated.

While the officers are required to sign off on the reports that they're review them and that the report is accurate but what happens when a critical mistake or omission is made and not caught until after it's been admitted as evidence in a which can make or break your entire case.

King County's new policy: No AI in police report writing over error concerns

Forum List

Back