Alabama Anti-Gay Marriage Law struck down.

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Judge Strikes Down Alabama s Gay Marriage Ban

A federal judge ruled Friday that Alabama's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.

The judge, U.S. District Judge Callie V.S. Granade, ruled that Alabama's constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, known as the Sanctity of Marriage Amendment, violates the 14th Amendment's due process and equal protection clauses.

"If anything, Alabama’s prohibition of same-sex marriage detracts from its goal of promoting optimal environments for children," Granade writes. "Those children currently being raised by same-sex parents in Alabama are just as worthy of protection and recognition by the State as are the children being raised by opposite-sex parents. Yet Alabama’s Sanctity laws harms the children of same-sex couples for the same reasons that the Supreme Court found that the Defense of Marriage Act harmed the children of same-sex couples."

For further comment, Freddy Mercury.

Is that #38?

Only 12 left to go now.

That is also in the crotch of the bible belt country so it is going to hurt like hell.

:rofl:

Anti gay anti anti gay

how dare of you be anti gay

You know I bet this topic is about the last thing on the people's priority list of things they are worried about in their own and their families life

CLUE: don't move to Alabama you don't like THEIR LAWS

Anti gay anti anti gay

You know I bet this topic is about the last thing on the people's priority list of things they are worried about in their own and their families life

That's good to hear, because it's really none of their business as to who marries who.

“The judge, U.S. District Judge Callie V.S. Granade, ruled that Alabama's constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, known as the Sanctity of Marriage Amendment, violates the 14th Amendment's due process and equal protection clauses.”

Yes, it does.

This is a consistent and appropriate application of settled and accepted 14th Amendment jurisprudence.

Anti gay anti anti gay

I wonder if you even realize that your very last sentence is missing an important word....

Anti gay anti anti gay

I wonder if you even realize that your very last sentence is missing an important word....

There is a reason why lunch ladies don't teach English.

Anti gay anti anti gay

Why do you not want your fellow American citizens to be treated equally thru-out the U.S.?

Anti gay anti anti gay

This is unsurprisingly ignorant and wrong.

Residents of Alabama are first and foremost citizens of the United States, where the states and local jurisdictions are subordinate to that. And the rights of American citizens residing in the states are safeguarded by the Federal Constitution, where the states have no authority whatsoever to violate the civil rights of American citizens in the states.

Moreover, every American has the fundamental right to move freely about the country, to live in any state he so desires, and not be compelled to 'move' as a 'remedy' to one's state of residence seeking to deny him his civil rights.

The states may only enact measures that comport with the Constitution and its case law, where measures repugnant to the Constitution are appropriately invalidated by the courts, such as this ignorant, hateful Alabama measure.

Stephanie is a very confused woman.

By the by, I have know many nice lunch ladies in my life.

Forum List

Back