Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

Some of you people are getting so confused.

They arent getting rid of history. They do not have the power to do so. They are deciding that it is not right to celebrate a dark time in their history.

Why would you want to celebrate Americas shame ?

That seems to be a very adult approach to the subject and one we could learn from in the UK

Why should we celebrate traitors to our country ?

It's history. What next? Remove Civil War information from text books because the Confederacy has to be mentioned?

No, just put it in it's proper context.

"In 1861, a bunch of rich assholes wanted to keep owning other human beings, and they got a bunch of poor dumb white assholes to die by the thousands in a war that they should have known from the outset they couldn't possibly win."

You treat the Confederacy the way Germany treats the Nazis. As something you should be PROFOUNDLY ashamed of.

It's history. What next? Remove Civil War information from text books because the Confederacy has to be mentioned?
Agreed. It's revisionist history, pure and simple. The LWers deny it, but is exactly what is happening.

It's one thing to put the past in context, but it's another to sweep it under the rug, hide it and deny it ever happened.

Not really. No one is denying the Civil War happened. We are just removing the people who fought it from any place of honor.

You know, just like when Germany renamed all those places named for Hitler and Georring, they did 'revise" history. They just refused to celebrate truly evil people.

Not really. No one is denying the Civil War happened. We are just removing the people who fought it from any place of honor.

You know, just like when Germany renamed all those places named for Hitler and Georring, they did 'revise" history. They just refused to celebrate truly evil people.
Says one of our resident antisemitics. LOL

The fact you can keep a straight face when demonizing everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line, comparing the Civil War to WWII and the Confederacy to the Nazis is not only atrociously incorrect, but sadly typical of you.

Good!! they should move the statue to a museum where it belongs

In a town that once took considerable pride in its Confederate past, the Alexandria City Council voted unanimously Saturday to change the name of Jefferson Davis Highway and seek permission from the Virginia General Assembly to move a renowned statue of a Confederate soldier in historic Old Town.

The council’s actions went beyond the recommendations of a task force that studied what to do about the city’s controversial Confederate symbols, but not as far as some residents wanted.

After a lengthy public hearing, the council agreed to try to relocate the “Appomattox” statue from the busy intersection of Prince and Washington streets, where thousands of motorists pass it each day. The pensive and unarmed south-facing Confederate soldier would be moved to a local history museum on the same corner.

It was just a year ago that the city decided to end its practice of hanging three Confederate flags from traffic light poles at the “Appomattox” statue on Lee’s birthday and on Confederate Memorial Day.

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

About time they abandoned their traitor past

Says one of our resident antisemitics. LOL

The fact you can keep a straight face when demonizing everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line, comparing the Civil War to WWII and the Confederacy to the Nazis is not only atrociously incorrect, but sadly typical of you.

Uh, wait... I'm sorry, they were both equally bad. I'd say the Confederacy was even a little worse.

After the War, the Germans KNEW they did a bad thing. They've been trying to atone for it ever since.

If Germany acted like the Confederacy, they'd be naming streets after Hitler and putting up statues of him, denying the Holocaust ever happened or that it was a bad thing, and then continue to abuse the Jews until 2045, just not quite as bad.

Some of you people are getting so confused.

They arent getting rid of history. They do not have the power to do so. They are deciding that it is not right to celebrate a dark time in their history.

Why would you want to celebrate Americas shame ?

That seems to be a very adult approach to the subject and one we could learn from in the UK
The shame was the practice of slavery. Let's not forget even the Brits didn't abolish slavery until 1833. It's not like the US, of all the nations in the world as many anti-Southerners like to imply, was the only nation to allow slavery.

The Civil War itself was more about answering the question of State's autonomy vs. the "Union", as President Lincoln clearly stated in his famous letter to Horace Greeley.

Uh, wait... I'm sorry, they were both equally bad. I'd say the Confederacy was even a little worse.

After the War, the Germans KNEW they did a bad thing. They've been trying to atone for it ever since.

If Germany acted like the Confederacy, they'd be naming streets after Hitler and putting up statues of him, denying the Holocaust ever happened or that it was a bad thing, and then continue to abuse the Jews until 2045, just not quite as bad.
Which is why I don't trust anything you say. Comparing all Southerners to the Nazi genocide of 11 million human beings is beyond stupid.

Which is why I don't trust anything you say. Comparing all Southerners to the Nazi genocide of 11 million human beings is beyond stupid.

4 million enslaved humans is not comparable?

Why do they want to remove a statue and rename an highway?
Jefferson Davis and the CSA are part of Virginia history
You can't delete history
That's impossible :)

Why do they want to remove a statue and rename an highway?
Jefferson Davis and the CSA are part of Virginia history
You can't delete history
That's impossible :)

You can still put history in its proper perspective

Celebrating a nation created to keep four million people enslaved is not warranted

Ignorance from the lefties about the Civil War is no surprise.
Maybe some of you could explain how they were "traitors"?
Maybe you could elaborate on why you always ignore why the North shit all over the COTUS and still claim superiority?
I mean, the North won. No doubt. But that is not a reason to get all fucking retarded about it.

That's true rightwinger but I read something on the web and some people say the Confederacy wasn't so "racist" because blacks were not slaves by birth and there were some of them free.
There were even some blacks involved in slaves trafficking, they said. o_O

That's true rightwinger but I read something on the web and some people say the Confederacy wasn't so "racist" because blacks were not slaves by birth and there were some of them free.

You do not get more racist than the South of the 1860's

People were property from birth to death. That property had value (over $1000 a slave and 4 million slaves)
The south was unwilling to give up its property without a fight

Anybody knows something about this picture? Black confederate soldiers were real? :eusa_think:
confsoldier.jpg

Anybody knows something about this picture? Black confederate soldiers were real? :eusa_think:
confsoldier.jpg
Some people fought for the south simply because of the north trampling all over the law. The Civil War was about ALOT more than slavery. That's just a hack cliché

You do not get more racist than the South of the 1860's

People were property from birth to death. That property had value (over $1000 a slave and 4 million slaves)
The south was unwilling to give up its property without a fight
Oh really? Ouch... o_O
I didn't know!! I was searching for some Confederate laws but I couldn't even find their Constitution... :(

Forum List

Back