Why Is America Often Refered To As A She?

~~~~~~
It is not the use of feminine pronouns that is inherently problematic. Romance languages commonly designate a female gender to concepts of nation and country. Other nationalistic language, like “motherland,” evokes parentage and feelings of home. Traditionally, feminine pronouns are also commonly used for ships and people often refer to their property, like cars, as female.
Additionally, history and popular culture provide even more of a reason to refer to America as a "Motherland". From the late 18th Century to the early 1920s, Uncle Sam had a well-known feminine counterpart, known as Columbia. She looked like an armored Lady Liberty and the District of Columbia is her namesake.
I guess the term Fatherland fits with the gender confusion in vogue today, eh? LOL

For unless you're talking about a girl/woman then it doesn't have a gender. Then again neither does God, but He is often referenced as a He.
It’s just a thing I suppose. Soviet Union was always referred to as the motherland. Now the third right was referred to as the Fatherland. I don’t recall a lot of countries in history being referred to in a masculine way.

Forum List

Back