All German Universities Now Free

Lads,
I will explain the Irish System which is about $3000 a year with 40% waived that fee based on parents income.

First about 50% of students in Ireland goto public universities and colleges. There are private colleges as well but most employers believe it is for kids either too lazy or too stupid for public college.

Selection is simple, at 16 you pick 6-7 subjects for your Leaving Cert which you study for two years. You do state exams in and you results (top 6 subjects) are given points(i.e. A+ 100, A 90,....). You can repeat the following year.

During your final year you select which courses you like to do in order of preference (e.g 1. Dentistry in Dublin University, 2. Dentistry in Cork, 3. Engineering in Galway....). Changes are allowed right up until results day.

A few days after results the national papers release publicly your number(not name) and the course you are offered. Selection is done on supply and demand, best results first. Accept or reject on that. The accept numbers are published on that day too. Very transparent and it is your right to be accepted if get the grades, don't get the grades you are not accepted (no exceptions, you would be taking someone elses place).

So the smartest hard working kids get rewarded no matter what their parents wealth situation is. Parents with money pay for extra tuition but the exams themselves are geared more to creativeness & complex problem solving rather than rote learning.

So the system is supply and demand, hard work rewarded. No special rules for minorities or disadvantaged but schools of disadvantaged areas get more help and are encouraged to educate themselves out of poverty.

So how is this paid, simple. Ireland discovered like a lot of countries a long time ago that a college education on average pays back 9 times on its investment in taxes later when comparing to non college educated taxpayers. This is a no brainer for the government.

And just in case you wonder are corporations complaining, Yes, they complain anytime there is a single dime taken out of education. They are very vocal on the money invested and the type of education given. They have repeatedly stated that Universities are not job training but a method to develop rounded individuals who can enter the workplace with background knowledge in the field they are entering. They want people who think for a living and can work with others and are very critical of rote learning. That comes from both the indigenous companies as well as the Multinationals.

Any thoughts?

Yes.

Why does anyone learn Irish?.....I mean, The Irish speak English, so what is the point?

It is apart of our culture, what makes us Irish. It is like 4th of July and Baseball to Americans...

Lads,
I will explain the Irish System which is about $3000 a year with 40% waived that fee based on parents income.

First about 50% of students in Ireland goto public universities and colleges. There are private colleges as well but most employers believe it is for kids either too lazy or too stupid for public college.

Selection is simple, at 16 you pick 6-7 subjects for your Leaving Cert which you study for two years. You do state exams in and you results (top 6 subjects) are given points(i.e. A+ 100, A 90,....). You can repeat the following year.

During your final year you select which courses you like to do in order of preference (e.g 1. Dentistry in Dublin University, 2. Dentistry in Cork, 3. Engineering in Galway....). Changes are allowed right up until results day.

A few days after results the national papers release publicly your number(not name) and the course you are offered. Selection is done on supply and demand, best results first. Accept or reject on that. The accept numbers are published on that day too. Very transparent and it is your right to be accepted if get the grades, don't get the grades you are not accepted (no exceptions, you would be taking someone elses place).

So the smartest hard working kids get rewarded no matter what their parents wealth situation is. Parents with money pay for extra tuition but the exams themselves are geared more to creativeness & complex problem solving rather than rote learning.

So the system is supply and demand, hard work rewarded. No special rules for minorities or disadvantaged but schools of disadvantaged areas get more help and are encouraged to educate themselves out of poverty.

So how is this paid, simple. Ireland discovered like a lot of countries a long time ago that a college education on average pays back 9 times on its investment in taxes later when comparing to non college educated taxpayers. This is a no brainer for the government.

And just in case you wonder are corporations complaining, Yes, they complain anytime there is a single dime taken out of education. They are very vocal on the money invested and the type of education given. They have repeatedly stated that Universities are not job training but a method to develop rounded individuals who can enter the workplace with background knowledge in the field they are entering. They want people who think for a living and can work with others and are very critical of rote learning. That comes from both the indigenous companies as well as the Multinationals.

Any thoughts?

Sure. I got thoughts. I'm thinking, why is it the job government to provide corporations with a compliant workforce? Why should taxpayers be coerced into subsidizing a program that conditions their children to serve corporations?

Reality...
Companies hire employees who pay tax, spend money and add to economy/society. It is for the betterment of all society.
As for a 'compliant workforce', which workforce is more compliant, one that is so much debt coming out of college they have to rush find a job while a debt free to have a choice.
There is no serving here, the business community have an input into the process and why shouldn't they. So has the Arts, Culture, Health Services... The business community have an important voice...
The government is trying to create a workforce that will compete with other countries workforce. An educated workforce is essential for our society to trive.

This is what I hate about corporatism. It treats people as the property of the state. A resource to be developed and exploited.

Fuck.

That.

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Sure. I got thoughts. I'm thinking, why is it the job government to provide corporations with a compliant workforce? Why should taxpayers be coerced into subsidizing a program that conditions their children to serve corporations?

Corporations pay taxes.

Ahh.. so we're bought and paid for. Got it.

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Corporations pay taxes.

Ahh.. so we're bought and paid for. Got it.

That's nice.

I was afraid you were under some delusion that you were self employed.

Lads,

Any thoughts?

Reality...
Companies hire employees who pay tax, spend money and add to economy/society. It is for the betterment of all society.
As for a 'compliant workforce', which workforce is more compliant, one that is so much debt coming out of college they have to rush find a job while a debt free to have a choice.
There is no serving here, the business community have an input into the process and why shouldn't they. So has the Arts, Culture, Health Services... The business community have an important voice...
The government is trying to create a workforce that will compete with other countries workforce. An educated workforce is essential for our society to trive.

This is what I hate about corporatism. It treats people as the property of the state. A resource to be developed and exploited.

Fuck.

That.

dblack,
Placing young adult in debt is making a property of someone
Lads,

Any thoughts?

Reality...

Fuck.

That.

dblack,

Corporations are only a small voice in comparison
to small businesses
Lads,

Any thoughts?

Reality...

Fuck.

That.

There is no property thing here... All members of society deserve a say in the running of that society... I think the difference here is the companies are open about their needs... Ireland then competes to offer those to not only small companies but also multinationals...

There is no exploitation, the workforce does enter the jobs market heavily in debt thus getting exploited.

There is plenty of arts, english... courses...

Sure, just put us all in debt to feed the machine

Don't go Into debt then?

In US stay ignorant, in Europe the state invest in your education to accumulate back their investment in the uplift in taxes and economic spend later.

Also something not said here, education is doesn't export money from the economy and generally recycles money within the economy(unlike a war). The product is asset to society which gives incredible return on investment.

Don't go Into debt then?

In US stay ignorant, in Europe the state invest in your education to accumulate back their investment in the uplift in taxes and economic spend later.

Also something not said here, education is doesn't export money from the economy and generally recycles money within the economy(unlike a war). The product is asset to society which gives incredible return on investment.
The main thing is to control everyone with force. It's the only way.

Don't go Into debt then?

We do things differently here

We also don't depend on other countries to defend us.

Perhaps if we stopped doing that, they would have to spend on their own defense

Don't go Into debt then?

How about you reduce the Military and spend the money on Education....

For example a reduction of 7.5% in defense spending would give free tuition at all public colleges throughout the United States...

Thats a start...

Don't go Into debt then?

We do things differently here

We also don't depend on other countries to defend us.

Perhaps if we stopped doing that, they would have to spend on their own defense

Live in Ireland... No US troops defending me.... Who is attacking me anyway...

Is it the buggy man... Really scared of the buggy man...

Don't go Into debt then?

For example a reduction of 7.5% in defense spending would give free tuition at all public colleges throughout the United States...

Thats a start...

Then who's gonna defend your sorry ass when the rushkies want you

Oh, that's right

We will

Don't go Into debt then?

Thats a start...

Oh, that's right

We will

So in Ireland has to be scared of a Russia. They would have to go through Europe who spend twice as much combined as Russia on defense. They also have two nuclear powers.

So Russia is going to go through all that to get to Ireland, a country which the Brits couldn't hold on to when it was next door.

Russia would collapse in the morning if it started a war... It relies on EU gas and oil money to survive... it accounts for about 68% of there government revenue.

Lets put this in perspective: Russia total Government spend is $400 bn of that $275bn is oil and gas revenue. Actually this number is higher as about $366bn in revenue enters the country.
Of that $75bn goes on military spending. Russia can't print money like US.

If a complete embargo on Russian oil and gas happened in Europe tomorrow, Russia Government would have revenue of $125bn. Simple maths tells you that isn't that much to run a country without some very annoyed workers.

It s Time To Drive Russia Bankrupt -- Again - Forbes

Simply put Russia can be taken without a shot fired... We can just order from different source for 6 months. There isn't the infrastructure to deliver to China and China might just as interested to keep Russia down too.

So am I worried about Russia,... Sorry nope...

Don't go Into debt then?

Thats a start...

Oh, that's right

We will

So in Ireland has to be scared of a Russia. They would have to go through Europe who spend twice as much combined as Russia on defense. They also have two nuclear powers.

So Russia is going to go through all that to get to Ireland, a country which the Brits couldn't hold on to when it was next door.

Russia would collapse in the morning if it started a war... It relies on EU gas and oil money to survive... it accounts for about 68% of there government revenue.

Lets put this in perspective: Russia total Government spend is $400 bn of that $275bn is oil and gas revenue. Actually this number is higher as about $366bn in revenue enters the country.

If a complete embargo on Russian oil and gas happened in Europe tomorrow, Russia Government would have revenue of $125bn. Simple maths tells you that isn't that much to run a country without some very annoyed workers.

Simply put Russia can be taken without a shot fired... We can just order from different source for 6 months. There isn't the infrastructure to deliver to China and China might just as interested to keep Russia down too.

You gotta understand that some here are hot for Poootin. They consistently side with him and against their own country. None of them have the gumption to actually move there though. They want the benefits of living in the US without paying for it.

Welcome to the board.

Don't go Into debt then?

Thats a start...
Lame. Cut the defense budget by fifty percent, and cut taxes so that families can afford to educate their children the way they want

Don't go Into debt then?

Thats a start...

Oh, that's right

We will

So many words to just say what you really mean

"We don't have to worry, you guys will have our backs"

See how simple that was?

Thats a start...

Oh, that's right

We will

See how simple that was?

Read the post, I specifically explain that together we are bigger Russia, more wealthy than Russia and we pay there meal ticket... Russia's problem with EU is that all its old friends want to join us. And joining EU has rules like human rights, proper law enforcement, equal pay, massive reduction in corruption...
If all of Russia's Neighbours join EU and gain the prosperity that comes with that, then Russia internally ask 'Why not us?'.
Russia is not on offense, it is on defense and it is finding it increasingly difficult. Ukraine was about EU expansion.

Russia is very worried. There economy is totally dependent on Oil and Gas supply and prices which they sell to EU. Fracking and alternative sources of energy can affect that. The EU has enough storage capacity for 4 - 6 months and can buy Gas in America temporarily. We can bankrupt Russia without much impact to our economy buy reducing our buying by 25-33% for 2 years. Little or no impact on us and we would destroy the Russian Economy.
File:EC-EU-enlargement_animation.gif

Thats a start...

Oh, that's right

We will

See how simple that was?

Read the post, I specifically explain that together we are bigger Russia, more wealthy than Russia and we pay there meal ticket... Russia's problem with EU is that all its old friends want to join us. And joining EU has rules like human rights, proper law enforcement, equal pay, massive reduction in corruption...
If all of Russia's Neighbours join EU and gain the prosperity that comes with that, then Russia internally ask 'Why not us?'.
Russia is not on offense, it is on defense and it is finding it increasingly difficult. Ukraine was about EU expansion.

Russia is very worried. There economy is totally dependent on Oil and Gas supply and prices which they sell to EU. Fracking and alternative sources of energy can affect that. The EU has enough storage capacity for 4 - 6 months and can buy Gas in America temporarily. We can bankrupt Russia without much impact to our economy buy reducing our buying by 25-33% for 2 years. Little or no impact on us and we would destroy the Russian Economy.
File:EC-EU-enlargement_animation.gif

Over and over you write about how others will bail you out.

Nuff said

Don't go Into debt then?

Thats a start...
Lame. Cut the defense budget by fifty percent, and cut taxes so that families can afford to educate their children the way they want

dblack,

No one tells kids what courses they can or can't take as long as they got the entry points. Companies try and encourage students into areas they, IT is big ask at the moment. But the general view is to go to something you actually like doing. Medicine, Veterinary and Actuary usually are top points but if don't like it you are probably going to be bad at it.
Civil Engineering 10 years ago was very hot but now is dead. Property Bust!

Engineering is usually filled with guys and Nursing with girls(Mixed gender workplaces usually work best). No matter how many times organisations ask for them to be mixed. It is down to the simple choices of the individuals involved.

I have a friend back in school who the points to do anything (rare <1%). He did archaeology (low points) but today is a lecture in a top UK university. His choice, but his course cost the same amount as Medicine, which was free at the time.

Forum List

Back