American student punished for refusing to recite Mexican pledge

Simple, the teacher should be fired.

I think firing the teacher is a bit extreme.

I don't. Not when the student offered to say the American Pledge in Spanish instead of the Mexican Pledge and the teacher refused. It's not like the girl just refused to do the assignment, she tried everything she could to make it right and the teacher refused. Any teacher that inflexible and that stupid should not be teaching. Forcing American Students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance of another country? If she had forced the students to say a prayer the ACLU would be all over the place trying to get that teacher fired.

1st, lets be clear we are taking everything the teen says as 100% true. We don't have a statement from either the teacher or the school either agreeing for refuting what's she's saying.

However, going on face value, I don't see how a poor lesson plan deserves being fired over. Every teacher I know has to submit their lesson plans for review, so presumably someone higher up than the mere teacher knew during that week in her Spanish class she planned to teach about Mexico, which included teaching their pledge, and national anthem and requiring each student be able to recite both from memory in Spanish.

Losing your job over a bad decision that should never have become national news is overkill.

We've had a lot of teahers in the news recently because of their lesson plans. I think it's admirable that so many teachers are attempting to reach students by thinking outside of the box. Inevitably, sometimes when you try something new, what may sound like a good idea on paper, doesn't work irl.

We've had a lot of teahers in the news recently because of their lesson plans. I think it's admirable that so many teachers are attempting to reach students by thinking outside of the box. Inevitably, sometimes when you try something new, what may sound like a good idea on paper, doesn't work irl.

I question where teachers get their lesson plans. I doubt most think this up themselves... there is a lot of outside influence. Industry supplies schools with a wealth of lesson planning - take agriculture as an example.

Agriculture in the Classroom

It is the same with social interest groups.

I question where teachers get their lesson plans. I doubt most think this up themselves... there is a lot of outside influence. Industry supplies schools with a wealth of lesson planning - take agriculture as an example.

I believe the majority of the public schools in Texas are using Cscope, which is a new Texas created online curriculum guide.

I believe the majority of the public schools in Texas are using Cscope, which is a new Texas created online curriculum guide.

"Customizable"

CSCOPE

If I'm not mistaken, curriculum must meet state standards. If a teacher wants to adopt a lesson plan it must be approved. Heck, I've helped write curriculum for the oil and gas industry. Physically transferring it to the classroom is a challenge.

Ahh, America 2013, death throes not too far off.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge

MORE: American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

FAUX Noise??!!!!

529.gif
529.gif
529.gif
529.gif

I think firing the teacher is a bit extreme.

I don't. Not when the student offered to say the American Pledge in Spanish instead of the Mexican Pledge and the teacher refused. It's not like the girl just refused to do the assignment, she tried everything she could to make it right and the teacher refused. Any teacher that inflexible and that stupid should not be teaching. Forcing American Students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance of another country? If she had forced the students to say a prayer the ACLU would be all over the place trying to get that teacher fired.

1st, lets be clear we are taking everything the teen says as 100% true. We don't have a statement from either the teacher or the school either agreeing for refuting what's she's saying.

However, going on face value, I don't see how a poor lesson plan deserves being fired over. Every teacher I know has to submit their lesson plans for review, so presumably someone higher up than the mere teacher knew during that week in her Spanish class she planned to teach about Mexico, which included teaching their pledge, and national anthem and requiring each student be able to recite both from memory in Spanish.

Losing your job over a bad decision that should never have become national news is overkill.

Accepting your premiss that the plan was submitted and approved should not be a defense against being fired.

In fact both the teacher and administrator who approved the plan, again accepting your premiss, should be fired.
This isn't just a "bad decision", this is evidence of people with poor judgement. Education and experience aside, there is a major flaw in their decision making process.

Ahh, America 2013, death throes not too far off.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge

A Texas high school student has filed a federal lawsuit against her school and her teachers after she was punished for refusing to salute and recite the Mexican pledge of allegiance.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The Thomas More Law Center filed the suit on behalf of Brenda Brinsdon alleging the McAllen Independent School District violated the 15-year-old girl’s constitutional rights when she was forced to recite the Mexican pledge and sing the Mexican national anthem.

Click here to read the lawsuit.

Brinsdon, who is the daughter of a Mexican immigrant and an American father, refused. She believed it was un-American to pledge a loyalty oath to another country.

Ironically, the school district has a policy that prohibits a school from compelling students to recite the American Pledge of Allegiance.

The district also has a written policy that excuses students from reciting text from the Declaration of Independence if the student “as determined by the district, has a conscientious objection to the recitation.”

“There is a sad trend in public schools across our nation to undermine American patriotism,” said Richard Thompson president of the Thomas More Law Center. “But it’s encouraging to see students like Brenda stand up for America despite pressure from school officials.”

The TMLC told Fox News the district ignored its own rules when Brinsdon refused to recite the pledge of a foreign country.

What’s most troubling is the different treatment for someone wanting to opt out of reciting the American Pledge of Allegiance compared to someone as a matter of conscience wants to opt out of reciting the Mexican pledge,” spokesman Erin Mersino told Fox News.

A spokesman for the McAllen Independent School District told Fox News they had not seen a copy of the lawsuit.

The recitation of the Mexican pledge and the singing of the Mexican national anthem was part of a 2011 Spanish class assignment at Achieve Early College High School. The teacher, Reyna Santos, required all her students to participate in the lesson.

MORE: American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

If this is true, it IS nuts, of course.

Dueling pledges!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM]Casablanca La Marseillaise - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back