Debate Now An Unhappy Birthday for Obamacare?

Check all statements that you believe to be mostly true:

• 1. I support Obamacare in its entirety as it is.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 2. I mostly support Obamacare in its entirety.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 3. I want to see parts of Obamacare fixed.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 4. I want to see most of Obamacare repealed.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 5. I want Obamacare repealed and replaced.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 6. I want Obamacare repealed and a return to the free market.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 7. Other and I'll explain with my post.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Sorry but you're simply wrong.
Obamacare s Illegal Insurance Company Bailout - Conn Carroll

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:
Obamacare’s reinsurance program is paid for by a $63 tax on all health plans. The money then goes to any health insurance company who spends more than $60,000 on any Obamacare patient in any single year. Since the tax applies to all health care plans, but the benefits only go to Obamacare plans, the reinsurance program is really just a transfer of wealth from those who had insurance coverage before Obamacare to those who are now covered by Obamacare.

Risk Adjustment: The risk adjustment program is designed to stop insurance companies from marketing or pricing their plans in such a way that they only attract healthy, and therefore lower-cost, patients. The program accomplishes this by assessing the patient population of each insurer and then determining which insurers are covering healthier people and which are covering sicker people. The plans covering the healthy people are then forced to pay money to the plans covering sicker people. All transfers between insurance companies even out.

Risk Corridors: The risk corridor program is intended to encourage insurers to price their premiums low by protecting them from losses if their patients turn out to require more care than anticipated. The program uses a complex formula to take money from those insurers that do not spend a lot of money paying for patient health care, and then gives that money to other insurers that do spend a lot of money on patient care.

The big difference between the three programs is that the reinsurance and risk adjustment programs either have a dedicated stream of income (the $63 tax on all health care plans) or the payouts are limited to what the program takes in (all transfers equal out in the risk adjustment program).

But the risk corridor program has no guaranteed stream of funding. What if more health insurance plans underprice their Obamacare plans in an effort to gain market share? What if they all end up spending more on health care than they originally planned?

Then everyone would be demanding payment from the system but no one would be paying in. Who would make up the difference in such a situation?

When the CBO originally scored Obamacare, they assumed the Three Rs would end up costing taxpayers nothing. And then, when they rescored the bill again in February 2014, they optimistically estimated that the risk corridor program would actually save taxpayers $8 billion over the next 10 years.

But CBO’s computer models rarely, if ever, come close to matching reality. And Obamacare has been no different.

Obamacare Bailout to the Rescue

Health insurance CEOs immediately demanded a meeting with Obama, which happened in the White House the day after his Friday announcement. According to health insurance lobbyist emails obtained by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Obama agreed that day to increase payments for both the risk corridor and reinsurance programs.

But some savvy Republicans on Capitol Hill were watching this drama and began to push back. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) even introduced a bill just four days after Obama’s November 15th rule change that would have repealed the risk corridor program entirely. “Washington’s bailout culture must end, and eliminating ObamaCare’s blank check for a bailout of insurance companies is a common sense step to protect taxpayers when ObamaCare fails,” Rubio said in a statement.

Not wanting a fight with Republicans over insurance company bailouts, the first draft of HHS’s regulation governing the risk corridor program, published in March 2014, promised that the program would be implemented in “a budget neutral manner.” In other words, payments out of the program would not be greater than payments into the program. There would be no bailout.

The health insurance industry promptly freaked out. According to emails obtained by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Blue Cross/Blue Shield CEO Chet Burrell sent Obama Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett a memo threatening health insurance premium spikes of “as much as 20 percent” if the risk corridor program was run in a “budget neutral” manner.

Obama got the message. The final HHS regulation published in May 2014 said that, “In the unlikely event of a shortfall for the 2015 program year ... HHS will use other sources of funding for the risk corridor payments.”

In other words, the risk corridor bailout is on.

And according to a survey of Obamacare insurers conducted by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, the Obama administration is expected to make $725 million in net payments out of the risk corridor program in 2015 alone. Throw in the increased reinsurance payments and the bailout will top $1 billion."

The original Obamacare legislation did not contain any appropriations to build the federal health insurance exchange either. So Obama simply stole $454 million from the law’s “Prevention Fund” program and used it to build the exchanges instead.

========================

As I said... Everyone on Obamacare is receiving welfare. The checks are not going to them directly... instead the checks are going from the government (taxpayer funds) to insurance companies and to government employees who are managing Obama care. Hell just look at the people we added to the IRS to run this beast. All tax payer funded... all of it.

Much in the same way that whenever you drive on a road, someone else paid taxes for you to drive on it so, by you definition, all drivers are on welfare....right?

Not sure how that works. You pay for a portion of the road every time you gas up. The only people getting a free ride are those in solar powered vehicles, on bikes, or free public transportation.

So, I don't think this argument holds water.

What I find strange is that you made the statement that Obamacare is not a product. So what is RKMBrown making reference to ?

I noticed RKMBrown used the term "massive" when describing the amount of tax payer money in a particular premium. What is "massive" ?

Sure it holds water...in no way has anyone paid, in taxes, for the roads outside of their houses....not the original costs, not the upkeep, not the lights....nobody.

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:
Obamacare’s reinsurance program is paid for by a $63 tax on all health plans. The money then goes to any health insurance company who spends more than $60,000 on any Obamacare patient in any single year. Since the tax applies to all health care plans, but the benefits only go to Obamacare plans, the reinsurance program is really just a transfer of wealth from those who had insurance coverage before Obamacare to those who are now covered by Obamacare.

Risk Adjustment: The risk adjustment program is designed to stop insurance companies from marketing or pricing their plans in such a way that they only attract healthy, and therefore lower-cost, patients. The program accomplishes this by assessing the patient population of each insurer and then determining which insurers are covering healthier people and which are covering sicker people. The plans covering the healthy people are then forced to pay money to the plans covering sicker people. All transfers between insurance companies even out.

Risk Corridors: The risk corridor program is intended to encourage insurers to price their premiums low by protecting them from losses if their patients turn out to require more care than anticipated. The program uses a complex formula to take money from those insurers that do not spend a lot of money paying for patient health care, and then gives that money to other insurers that do spend a lot of money on patient care.

The big difference between the three programs is that the reinsurance and risk adjustment programs either have a dedicated stream of income (the $63 tax on all health care plans) or the payouts are limited to what the program takes in (all transfers equal out in the risk adjustment program).

But the risk corridor program has no guaranteed stream of funding. What if more health insurance plans underprice their Obamacare plans in an effort to gain market share? What if they all end up spending more on health care than they originally planned?

Then everyone would be demanding payment from the system but no one would be paying in. Who would make up the difference in such a situation?

When the CBO originally scored Obamacare, they assumed the Three Rs would end up costing taxpayers nothing. And then, when they rescored the bill again in February 2014, they optimistically estimated that the risk corridor program would actually save taxpayers $8 billion over the next 10 years.

But CBO’s computer models rarely, if ever, come close to matching reality. And Obamacare has been no different.

Health insurance CEOs immediately demanded a meeting with Obama, which happened in the White House the day after his Friday announcement. According to health insurance lobbyist emails obtained by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Obama agreed that day to increase payments for both the risk corridor and reinsurance programs.

But some savvy Republicans on Capitol Hill were watching this drama and began to push back. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) even introduced a bill just four days after Obama’s November 15th rule change that would have repealed the risk corridor program entirely. “Washington’s bailout culture must end, and eliminating ObamaCare’s blank check for a bailout of insurance companies is a common sense step to protect taxpayers when ObamaCare fails,” Rubio said in a statement.

Not wanting a fight with Republicans over insurance company bailouts, the first draft of HHS’s regulation governing the risk corridor program, published in March 2014, promised that the program would be implemented in “a budget neutral manner.” In other words, payments out of the program would not be greater than payments into the program. There would be no bailout.

The health insurance industry promptly freaked out. According to emails obtained by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Blue Cross/Blue Shield CEO Chet Burrell sent Obama Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett a memo threatening health insurance premium spikes of “as much as 20 percent” if the risk corridor program was run in a “budget neutral” manner.

Obama got the message. The final HHS regulation published in May 2014 said that, “In the unlikely event of a shortfall for the 2015 program year ... HHS will use other sources of funding for the risk corridor payments.”

And according to a survey of Obamacare insurers conducted by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, the Obama administration is expected to make $725 million in net payments out of the risk corridor program in 2015 alone. Throw in the increased reinsurance payments and the bailout will top $1 billion."

The original Obamacare legislation did not contain any appropriations to build the federal health insurance exchange either. So Obama simply stole $454 million from the law’s “Prevention Fund” program and used it to build the exchanges instead.

========================

As I said... Everyone on Obamacare is receiving welfare. The checks are not going to them directly... instead the checks are going from the government (taxpayer funds) to insurance companies and to government employees who are managing Obama care. Hell just look at the people we added to the IRS to run this beast. All tax payer funded... all of it.

Much in the same way that whenever you drive on a road, someone else paid taxes for you to drive on it so, by you definition, all drivers are on welfare....right?

Not sure how that works. You pay for a portion of the road every time you gas up. The only people getting a free ride are those in solar powered vehicles, on bikes, or free public transportation.

What I find strange is that you made the statement that Obamacare is not a product. So what is RKMBrown making reference to ?

I noticed RKMBrown used the term "massive" when describing the amount of tax payer money in a particular premium. What is "massive" ?

Sure it holds water...in no way has anyone paid, in taxes, for the roads outside of their houses....not the original costs, not the upkeep, not the lights....nobody.

I would contend that they have to pay for more than that.

But if you buy 1,800 in gas a year, you pay about $400 in taxes. That would be more than enough to cover the asphault and lighting outside your house over a number of years.

Except few (if any) work across the street; they use local streets, service roads, on-ramps, freeways which require maintenance, stoplights, stop signs which all require upkeep.

True.

What was explained was that insurance would have to be offered to persons with pre-existing conditions and that you could keep you child on your plan until they turn 26.

Imagine my surprise...nobody wants to talk about the overwhelming support for the good parts of the ACA...only that some fools didn't understand what it is. I would bet that if you asked conservative posters on this board, they would still--to this day--think there is a product called "obamacare".

All of this was to address an "issue" that was never truly defined.

And so you really can't know if you ever solved the issue.

While I don't know that I agree with the way pre-existing conditions were dealt with, what I never have liked (and it didn't need Obama to fix it) was that you could be cancelled if you got sick.

I wished state legislatures would have passed laws that said....if an insurance company decides to cancel you...they have to add up all your payments in over the entire time you were with them, multiply by four, then deduct your claim (no multiplier) and pay you back the difference. Then they could cancel you. How insurance companies (it was the government that allowed them to do it) could take someone who had paid in for 20 years and then cancel them was beyond me.

The 26 year old on your insurance is a response to the lousy job market for young people and little more.

But we are talking birthdays. The last poll I read showed the law still being more unfavorable than not. Much like a reflection of this poll.

The number of uninsured adults has dropped every year. Happy birthday to the people who USED to pay for their healthcare.

If they are now paying more for theirs (than what they were paying combined before)...maybe not.

I don't know what the truth is and, frankly, I am not sure anyone does.

All adults (pretty much) have seen insurance rate raise before the ACA. Now when rates rise, we're surprised and scream bloody murder? No.

We scream bloody murder because we gave up our rights to control our own health care spending. Some people, though I'm not one of them, expect to see something in exchange for that loss - like lower health insurance rates and lower health care costs. As it is we've given up essential liberty for false security.

Liberty? Oh...okay. Overstate much?

Incorrect. A MASSIVE PORTION OF EVERYONE'S INSURANCE ON OBAMACARE IS BEING FUNDED BY THE TAXPAYER. Yes, a portion of people on obamacare get EXTRA taxpayer funding in the form of subsidies on top of the subsidies that EVERYONE ON OBAMACARE IS GETTING.

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:

========================

No, not all drivers are on welfare.

Well, they are using a road they didn't 100% pay for. What do you call it when someone else pays for what you use? Oh yeah, welfare.
Incorrect. Using a road for which you overpaid your "fair" share of use is not welfare. Driving on a road for which you underpaid your "fair" share of use is welfare.

While I don't know that I agree with the way pre-existing conditions were dealt with, what I never have liked (and it didn't need Obama to fix it) was that you could be cancelled if you got sick.

I wished state legislatures would have passed laws that said....if an insurance company decides to cancel you...they have to add up all your payments in over the entire time you were with them, multiply by four, then deduct your claim (no multiplier) and pay you back the difference. Then they could cancel you. How insurance companies (it was the government that allowed them to do it) could take someone who had paid in for 20 years and then cancel them was beyond me.

The 26 year old on your insurance is a response to the lousy job market for young people and little more.

But we are talking birthdays. The last poll I read showed the law still being more unfavorable than not. Much like a reflection of this poll.

The number of uninsured adults has dropped every year. Happy birthday to the people who USED to pay for their healthcare.

If they are now paying more for theirs (than what they were paying combined before)...maybe not.

All adults (pretty much) have seen insurance rate raise before the ACA. Now when rates rise, we're surprised and scream bloody murder? No.

We scream bloody murder because we gave up our rights to control our own health care spending. Some people, though I'm not one of them, expect to see something in exchange for that loss - like lower health insurance rates and lower health care costs. As it is we've given up essential liberty for false security.

No. He's dead on. The right to spend your income how you wish is a fundamental part of liberty. Taking away that right is the opposite of liberty. I'm surprise an educated person such as yourself does not understand the very simple concept of liberty.

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:

========================

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:

========================

But if you buy 1,800 in gas a year, you pay about $400 in taxes. That would be more than enough to cover the asphault and lighting outside your house over a number of years.

Except few (if any) work across the street; they use local streets, service roads, on-ramps, freeways which require maintenance, stoplights, stop signs which all require upkeep.

I think I said they would have to pay for more than just their street.

And they do.

If they are not...who is ?

No. He's dead on. The right to spend your income how you wish is a fundamental part of liberty. Taking away that right is the opposite of liberty. I'm surprise an educated person such as yourself does not understand the very simple concept of liberty.

That's the debate.

John Jay stated that we give up some natural rights to secure the rest. That is the nature of government.

I'm not advocating for anything....just saying that is the trade off.

In this case, I tend to agree that we've given up far more than we supposedly gained.

But again...that is the fundamental trade off.

That's the debate.

John Jay stated that we give up some natural rights to secure the rest. That is the nature of government.

In this case, I tend to agree that we've given up far more than we supposedly gained.

Health care is not a government function. Health care providers provide the health care, you pay them with your income. See how that works? Unless of course you want to have a government in which your income is not yours. If that's the case I'll stop working for income now and instead start making weapons to burn this government to the ground. I'd rather die fighting for liberty than give up my liberty for a small measure of security. See how that works?

That's the debate.

Health care is not a government function. Health care providers provide the health care, you pay them with your income. See how that works? Unless of course you want to have a government in which your income is not yours. If that's the case I'll stop working for income now and instead start making weapons to burn this government to the ground. I'd rather die fighting for liberty than give up my liberty for a small measure of security. See how that works?

Yes, I understand how libertarians feel.

That's the debate.

Somewhere in the background American Trilogy is playing...

I think I said they would have to pay for more than just their street.

And they do.

If they are not...who is ?

I mis-read your words. I apologize.

That's true. In this country, you don't have to do a fucking thing for anyone else other than yourself and in nearly all cases, you don't even have to do anything for yourself.

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:

========================

Well, they are using a road they didn't 100% pay for. What do you call it when someone else pays for what you use? Oh yeah, welfare.
Incorrect. Using a road for which you overpaid your "fair" share of use is not welfare. Driving on a road for which you underpaid your "fair" share of use is welfare.

In this case, nobody has "overpaid" for a road outside of their house. Except maybe Bill Gates.

That's true. In this country, you don't have to do a fucking thing for anyone else other than yourself and in nearly all cases, you don't even have to do anything for yourself.
Stealing food off my children's table to give yourself a bonus check is not me DOING SOMETHING FOR YOU, YOU DUMB BITCH. ITS YOU FUCKING STEALING FROM ME TO GIVE YOURSELF A BONUS CHECK AT MY EXPENSE, AND AGAINST MY WILL.

If I want to DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE I'll do it willingly not BY FORCE YOU DUMB BITCH.

From the above web site:
========================
"Reinsurance:

========================

In this case, nobody has "overpaid" for a road outside of their house. Except maybe Bill Gates.
Nonsense. Some people don't pay a dime others pay millions.

Not at all, no. I think insurance is a ripoff and you fools are selling us out to the insurance industry as forced customers. It's even worse than a loss of basic liberty, but that in itself is the best reason to oppose ACA.

Hey folks,

This thread is about the article that claims the ACA is having an unhappy birthday.

While I agree it is unpopular (less popular than unpopular), I am not sure about the unhappy state of things for the ACA.

First and foremost, I don't see the establishment GOP still clamoring for it's repeal.

What happened ?

Have they caved....or have they always been so stupid ?

Stealing food off my children's table to give yourself a bonus check is not me DOING SOMETHING FOR YOU, YOU DUMB BITCH. ITS YOU FUCKING STEALING FROM ME TO GIVE YOURSELF A BONUS CHECK AT MY EXPENSE, AND AGAINST MY WILL.

If I want to DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE I'll do it willingly not BY FORCE YOU DUMB BITCH.

Gee..your view is that nobody should pay taxes for things they don't like. A lot of people don't like our military...should they be able to opt out?

Want some cheese with your whine?

Gee..your view is that nobody should pay taxes for things they don't like. A lot of people don't like our military...should they be able to opt out?

I think the view is that government should be more than a tool to get what you want from others.

ROFL yeah cause redistribution of my income to your pocket is the same as funding our military. ROFL What a pile of Bullshit.

ROFL yeah cause redistribution of my income to your pocket is the same as funding our military. ROFL What a pile of Bullshit.

Well, yes...what you posted is a pile of bull shit. Nothing is going into anyone's pocket (you, in fact, stated that).

Forum List

Back