Anchor Reports Pilot Names Including ‘Sum Ting Wong’ and ‘Wi Tu Lo’

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
O.M.G.

KTVUFlightCrew.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Epic KTVU Fail: Anchor Reports Pilot Names Including ?Sum Ting Wong? and ?Wi Tu Lo? - TVSpy

What a hoot. I read these to mr. boe and mentioned that Channel 2 (that's KTVU) has been apologizing all afternoon.

Unbelievably clueless.

One of my kids works for Siemens. His boss told him about the time he interviewed a guy named Dick Wang. Applying for a job a Siemens. Har.

Just read what ever is on the teleprompter and look pretty. Thinking is not part of the job description...LMAO

The job goes to Anchoress 'Mi So Dum'.

To save face, KTVU today said they were sorry and had misread the information.
'Sum Ting Wong,' 'Wi Tu Lo,' 'Ho Lee Fuk,' 'Bang Ding Ow'...
Were not the names of the pilots aboard the ill fated flight but rather it was what was heard on the last 20 seconds of the voice recorder.
KTVU Motto - When News Breaks, We Fix it!
:D

Kudos to whomever planted the story with them

A master piece of work

A master piece of work

Not really. Because it was kind of racist, which already wouldn't be very funny, but then you have to keep in mind two Asian girls died in this accident.

I think it's a sad commentary on what our news reporting has become today.

1) Getting information out first, without vetting it.

2) Have it collected by people who have no real experience getting news.

A master piece of work

Not really. Because it was kind of racist, which already wouldn't be very funny, but then you have to keep in mind two Asian girls died in this accident.

I think it's a sad commentary on what our news reporting has become today.

1) Getting information out first, without vetting it.

2) Have it collected by people who have no real experience getting news.

What were the girls name?

I'll notify the media

The two killed in the crash were

Ye Mengyuan and Wang Linjia,

A third girl, Liu Yipeng.

All were Chinese nationals.

Asiana: NTSB admits intern confirmed racist pilot names
So it was the NTBS who was responsible and not KTVU.
However, those names should have raise suspicion as soon as they were read.
Another Government Failure
Asiana: NTSB admits intern confirmed racist pilot names - latimes.com

Sorry, the fault, then is the person who talked to an intern to verify a news story.

Incidently, you also have this.

"It remains unclear how the station got the names in the first place."

The intern didn't give out the names. So a news station calls some intern who doesn't know how to handle the press (because the people who do have a hundred other things on their plate) and he confirms names while searching for something on his computer.

If this is the worst thing the NTSB does, then government is doing its job pretty well.

I'm thinking this got by more than just the hapless on air newsreader. A graphic arts person, and maybe the GA editor, whomever wrote the story copy and his editor, the aide or assistant who transfers the copy into the anchor's Teleprompter, etc., etc.

What I'd like to know is who thought up the names and what was their original intent? Was it just, say, a worker screwing around assuming a coworker would catch it right away, have a laugh, and then they'd substitute the real names, but something just went awry?

I'm thinking this got by more than just the hapless on air newsreader. A graphic arts person, and maybe the GA editor, whomever wrote the story copy and his editor, the aide or assistant who transfers the copy into the anchor's Teleprompter, etc., etc.

What I'd like to know is who thought up the names and what was their original intent? Was it just, say, a worker screwing around assuming a coworker would catch it right away, have a laugh, and then they'd substitute the real names, but something just went awry?

The joke was actually thought up by two men, Mike Hunt and Dick Hertz

They never thought it would make the air

Forum List

Back