Annual depressing ritual

burg_rheinstein3.jpg

Although I live in semi-snow belt (pittsburgh) I have never put my bike down for the Winter. There is always at least a day or two each month when I can go for a ride. That's all it takes to keep it running.

OP, that is depressing. Sincerely..
I agree with the other posters. I don't prep mine. "float chargers", as mentioned earlier, are the shit!
Granted, you live in New England lol

Prep is mostly a full tank of gas, some stabilizer, and the batteries on maintainers. I won't ride when there is salt on the roads.

I was hardcore , used to ride my bikes in all sorts of weather in the mid to late 60s to the early 80s . Not a big deal to be out and about in 20 degree weather with 6 foot snowbanks on the side of the road in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan town of Marquette and Harvey . I'd have 'trials universal' tires on my old 69 Triumph TR6C and on my old BSA Thunderbolt and Lightning . Even rode my 71 and 74 Triumph Tridents in the snow and cold . Nice thing was that even in the rare fall the bike would slide unscathed on roads that had 6 - 10 inches of hard packed snow on them . Nowadays , well I'm nowhere near as hardcore . ------------ riding with salt at spring thaw was a problem though !!

I read an article several years ago in Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly where the writer rode through the Winter IN MINNESOTA on a Ural 650 with a sidecar. If you know the bike, the stock tires are snow-ish, so he was able to do it. He said the only obstacle he couldn't deal with was snow too high to fit under the sidecar. Of course, the writer is 6' 8", and 250#, which might help with traction.

seem a Ural would be nice , sidecar for stability and low end power I assume . I think that you are correct on the tires . ------- on another note , I'd be riding my 68 - 69 Rupp snowmobile and my friend would be riding his Bultaco LOBO , think it was 175 cc scrambler . [maybe it was LOBITO] . Anyway , we'd ride the railroad tracks and back roads and we'd ride all over the place [no cops] . Course my Rupp was much better in deep snow . Thing is though is that informal trails were made all over the place and with them being packed down the Lobito went over them very well . -------------- Lots of fun , never to be done again as you'd probably end up in jail nowadays !!

I have a neighbor who is trying to sell a Ural with a sidecar right now. He bought it on a whim, and has taken it out three or four times and now he needs the space and the money. No takers. The thing is brand-stinkin'-new! But who the hell wants a 650 with a side car and an optimistic top speed of 100kph?

yeah , its a whole new experience but they are nice and I think the new ones are 750 cc . Plus they are being constantly improved . But you are correct about the speed and its a low speed Tour'er I guess . Best used around town and on dirt roads I guess plus Sunday slow rides . Even my old BSA's and Triumph twins would hit 100 mph or more and tour at 70 . Better off having a new Triumph T100 Bonneville with traditional English style side car I think .

What a weird (and nice) season we are having. I've continued riding my bike on weekends and even occasionally to work. The weather forecast for next week (Christmas) is temps in the low 60's - albeit with some precipitation. No need to put the bike down so far.

Given my Goldwing's good weather protection, the only downside of riding in these conditions is that the sun is on the horizon for much of the afternoon, resulting in having to look directly into the sun when riding in the wrong direction. Small price to pay for riding in De-fucking-cember.

I'd like to have an old first year 1000 cc Goldwing . It'd still make a fine tourer I think but I'd mostly be riding it locally . Nice bikes though .

I was hardcore , used to ride my bikes in all sorts of weather in the mid to late 60s to the early 80s . Not a big deal to be out and about in 20 degree weather with 6 foot snowbanks on the side of the road in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan town of Marquette and Harvey . I'd have 'trials universal' tires on my old 69 Triumph TR6C and on my old BSA Thunderbolt and Lightning . Even rode my 71 and 74 Triumph Tridents in the snow and cold . Nice thing was that even in the rare fall the bike would slide unscathed on roads that had 6 - 10 inches of hard packed snow on them . Nowadays , well I'm nowhere near as hardcore . ------------ riding with salt at spring thaw was a problem though !!
Crazy assed Yooper....... :D

really ehh . I'm sorry that I ever left Marquette , actually between Eben and Trenary and in a location called Rumley . I worked in Munising right before I left , man what a mistake . I've done fine and I live in the PNW but it ain't the UP !!

some nice knives coming out of Bark River and a few other U.P. makers !!

really ehh . I'm sorry that I ever left Marquette , actually between Eben and Trenary and in a location called Rumley . I worked in Munising right before I left , man what a mistake . I've done fine and I live in the PNW but it ain't the UP !!
Heck, I'm glad my parents left, started kindergarten in Guam, graduated HS in Taiwan. Spent a third of my childhood growing up in the Orient and the other 2/3s all over the US. Been through or have lived in every state but Maine and Montana. :thup:

sounds good but i love Marquette and The UP and its good enough for me . Course l took off and that was my mistake !!

Forum List

Back