ANOTHER Prop 8 Challenge: By A County Clerk This Time

Prop 8 remains the law in CA, just as immigration laws remain in the US. Just because you have an executive or AG that refuse to uphold their oath and enforce them does not alter the fact that they remain the law. SCOTUS said gay marriage should be decided in the states, CA has decided, in the form of prop 8.

That is incorrect. Prop 8 was ruled unconstitutional by a Federal court. Since the SCOTUS chose not to rule, it leaves the lower court's ruling as the final adjudication.

Link please, evidently this county clerk didn't get the memo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8

Well, they still are tho' doncha know. Part of the unconstitutional DOMA is still in place. Only part of it was a question before the SCOTUS. We gotta get us the other part now, that Section 2 that says my legal marriage license can be treated differently in Alabama than it is in New York...but yers cain't.

Yep, and its the state that should decide how to treat the civil union.

What? You said the Feds shouldn't be involved...but they are. It's the Feds that say you're married in AL & CA and I'm not.

I didn't say the Feds should be involved, they should be out of it. The voters in California voted and the law needs to be upheld. Each state should be able to have their laws.

What? You said the Feds shouldn't be involved...but they are. It's the Feds that say you're married in AL & CA and I'm not.

I didn't say the Feds should be involved, they should be out of it. The voters in California voted and the law needs to be upheld. Each state should be able to have their laws.

Not if those laws violate the Constitution. Prop 8 was ruled to have done that.

Prop 8, was ruled that those that brought the case to the Supreme Court, did not have a standing in the case. The legality was not rule on.

Right, by a district court that has been overturned more than any other, and may be again.

Yes. Crushing the California Intitiative System and the power of individual voters through it by the Rainbow Bootheel is a bit much.

Prop 8, was ruled that those that brought the case to the Supreme Court, did not have a standing in the case. The legality was not rule on.

Which leaves the lower court's ruling in place...unconstitutional.

Right, by a district court that has been overturned more than any other, and may be again.

May be...likely not. 5-4 in favor of marriage equality...maybe even 6-3 with Roberts pitching in. He's got a legacy to think about too...

Gay marriage will be legal in all 50 states soon enough. Get over it.

If that is what each state individually wants it, then so be it. The federal government shouldn't be a part of the process.

You know, when it comes to human rights, I agree with you.

Let's let Arizona throw all the Mexicans into concentration camps and execute them.

STATE'S RIGHTS, BABY!

Your emotional rant and being a drama queen is noted, I have come to expect no less from you.

If there is a violation to the Constitution, then the Feds can hash it over, so far I don't see how marriage is nothing but a state issue. Just like the stand your ground laws. Or the legalizing of marijuana laws. Each state should be allowed to make decisions on there own, otherwise, end all states.

Your subjective and partisan disdain for a given Federal appeals court doesn’t mitigate the fact that in the Ninth’s jurisdiction Proposition 8 and measures like it are un-Constitutional, and that includes the California Supreme Court, which will reject this inane petition accordingly.

Your subjective and partisan disdain for a given Federal appeals court doesn’t mitigate the fact that in the Ninth’s jurisdiction Proposition 8 and measures like it are un-Constitutional, and that includes the California Supreme Court, which will reject this inane petition accordingly.

And they will convict Zimmerman. Noted.

Crush the ability of voters to vot and put the state under gay dictatorship.

..................its amazing how retarded you people can be.
somedays i wish i could send people like you back to real dictatorships.

Crush the ability of voters to vot and put the state under gay dictatorship.

..................its amazing how retarded you people can be.
somedays i wish i could send people like you back to real dictatorships.

"You people"?, another using that term. I you referring to her sex, race, sexual preference. More bigotry and stereotyping. Interesting that I keep seeing this phrase.

The states are allowed their own laws, provided those law comport with the Federal Constitution – Proposition 8 did not, and it was consequently invalidated.

This is a fundamental Constitutional tenet, easily understood.

The people of California lack the authority to deny a class of persons their civil liberties, it violates the rule of law and the Constitution’s guarantee that each state be afforded a republican form of government. That means that the people are subject only to the rule of law, not the rule of the majority, as the majority are often incapable of being just – Proposition 8 is proof of that.

And if one wishes to see the Federal courts no longer involved with state issues, then the states need simply refrain from enacting measures clearly un-Constitutional. If the states were to merely follow and obey the Constitution and its case law, then there’d be no need for the Federal courts to ever be involved again.

"Getting rid of CA's state initiative process does not take away [the power of] anyone's vote"
????!!!
The whole reason California fought like wildcats to GET their initiative system in place was to combat corruption at the highest levels of "elected officials" who make campaign promises [read: lie to voters] and then take over the State to do "whatever"!

You're advocating one of the finest and direct forms of democracy that puts power straight in the hands of individual voters be demolished? All so the Rainbow Reicht can complete its overthrow of democracy state by state?

Yeah, no.

"Getting rid of CA's state initiative process does not take away [the power of] anyone's vote"
????!!!
The whole reason California fought like wildcats to GET their initiative system in place was to combat corruption at the highest levels of "elected officials" who make campaign promises [read: lie to voters] and then take over the State to do "whatever"!

You're advocating one of the finest and direct forms of democracy that puts power straight in the hands of individual voters be demolished? All so the Rainbow Reicht can complete its overthrow of democracy state by state?

Yeah, no.

Even good things go bad. CA's initiative system is at the root of CA's problems.

But Johnson's ideal of citizen empowerment to fight the moneyed interests has been turned on its head. More and more over the years, California's initiative system has become a tool of the special interests and a plaything of the mega-rich.

It's almost unfathomable that $372 million was spent to promote or attack the 11 measures on last week's state ballot. That figure comes from MapLight, a nonpartisan organization that crunches numbers from the secretary of state.

It's time to reform our initiative system

What??? The only reason you object to the initiative system is because it makes it VERY difficult for the gay lobby to buy politicans to ram gay marriage through behind the public's back; and without their permission.

Forum List

Back