Another reason to shop at Trader Joe's

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins -

We’ve watched as places like Walmart, Papa John’s, Target, Applebee’s and other businesses continue to pay sub-par wages while claiming their only option for profit, given the economy and their being “forced” to provide employees with insurance, is to either cut employees’ hours and/or their wages. This miserly strategy is justified and implemented despite the fact that research shows that raising wages would actually “benefit workers, the industry and the overall economy.”

Yet in the midst of Scroogian thinking, a handful of smarter businesses have stepped to the forefront to reject this “austerity” model for a different philosophy right in line with research: pay a good living wage, offer benefits and maximize one of your most important “assets”: your valued workforce. Top on that list of smart retailers is Costco; Tulsa-based convenience chain, QuikTrip, and consumer favorite, Trader Joe’s.

Anybody gonna boycott TJ's for this?

Maybe lefties don't quite understand the concept about where we work and where we shop. We shop at Walmart because the store offers quality merchandise at a good price. If Trader Joe offers the same thing we will shop there. Nobody looks for a career at either Walmart or T. Joe's and pretty soon, thanks to Obamacare, there won't be any full time entry level jobs anyway.

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins -

We’ve watched as places like Walmart, Papa John’s, Target, Applebee’s and other businesses continue to pay sub-par wages while claiming their only option for profit, given the economy and their being “forced” to provide employees with insurance, is to either cut employees’ hours and/or their wages. This miserly strategy is justified and implemented despite the fact that research shows that raising wages would actually “benefit workers, the industry and the overall economy.”

Yet in the midst of Scroogian thinking, a handful of smarter businesses have stepped to the forefront to reject this “austerity” model for a different philosophy right in line with research: pay a good living wage, offer benefits and maximize one of your most important “assets”: your valued workforce. Top on that list of smart retailers is Costco; Tulsa-based convenience chain, QuikTrip, and consumer favorite, Trader Joe’s.

TJ gets notoriously high marks from its employees. There's one opening in Asheville in September - competition for jobs will be hot. Costco is another business with this attitude.

The Trader Joe's Lesson: How to Pay a Living Wage and Still Make Money in Retail

I sometimes shop at Trader Joes, but comparing WalMart to Trader Joe's is clearly wrong. WalMart is a general merchandise store and Trader Joe's is a grocery store. Trader Joe's could be compared to Kroeger or Lion King.

The good thing about shopping at Trader Joes is they are a non union chain, like WalMart. The bad thing about shopping at Trader Joes is that just about everything they sell is under their own brand. Whatever they buy and wherever they buy it from is rebranded. They have more recalls than any other store and it isn't easy to find out where they got the recalled merchandise from. Shopping at Trader Joes it kitchy. They cater mostly to the gluten free, organic, white wine and cheese crowd.

So A kid graduates from high school and says,fuck college I'll just keep working at trader joes,I'm getting by just fine!!
Or they dont hire high school kids,because they can find an adult who doesnt have school to get in the way and doesnt mind chump wages.

So A kid graduates from high school and says,fuck college I'll just keep working at trader joes,I'm getting by just fine!!
Or they dont hire high school kids,because they can find an adult who doesnt have school to get in the way and doesnt mind chump wages.

The whole point is, they're not "chump wages".

Reading is a lost art.

The workers I see at TJs (I've been to at least twenty of them) seem to be middle-aged to older middle aged.

Last edited:
Another example of an American trying to do the right thing and succeeding -

Moo Cluck Moo: A Fast-Food Business Model that Works ? The Good Men Project

Moo Cluck Moo, an upscale fast food joint created by friends Brian Parker and Harry Moorhouse, is eschewing ubiquitous corporate practice by paying its “Culinarians” a starting rate of $12 per hour, a far cry from minimum wage. The Detroit eatery has found success with its living wage based business model and has attracted local buzz by doing so.

“I wasn’t tuned in to the whole living-wage movement,” Moorhouse said. “We just felt that, for a variety of reasons, it was the right thing to do.”

At a time when minimal wage employees of national fast food chains such as McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell are asking for what they call a “living wage” of $15 per hour and staging strikes and walkouts all across the nation in cities like Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis and Washington, D.C., it’s refreshing to see a small business prove thru action that it’s entirely possible to make a profit and run an ethical business practice.

Maybe lefties don't quite understand the concept about where we work and where we shop. We shop at Walmart because the store offers quality merchandise at a good price. If Trader Joe offers the same thing we will shop there. Nobody looks for a career at either Walmart or T. Joe's and pretty soon, thanks to Obamacare, there won't be any full time entry level jobs anyway.

You can say a lot of things about wallyword but "... the store offers quality merchandise at a good price ..." is definitely not one of them.

katzen is right that Trader Joe's caters to the more intelligent and higher educated among us. And, "the store offers quality merchandise at a good price".

If you're so attached to "entry level jobs" (shitty pay, no benefits), Texasss and other backward red states are the place for you.

Reading is a lost art.

The workers I see at TJs (I've been to at least twenty of them) seem to be middle-aged to older middle aged.

So your telling me a checker at trader joes can make eighty K a year?
I might come out of retirement ......

So they are cutting out high school kids. Thanks trader joe.......

Reading is a lost art.

So your telling me a checker at trader joes can make eighty K a year?
I might come out of retirement ......

So they are cutting out high school kids. Thanks trader joe.......

No one even brought up "high school kids". Doesn't exist in the OP or his link, doesn't exist in mine. ... :cuckoo:

Clearly you can't get a job at Logic Joe's.

You can say a lot of things about wallyword but "... the store offers quality merchandise at a good price ..." is definitely not one of them.

katzen is right that Trader Joe's caters to the more intelligent and higher educated among us. And, "the store offers quality merchandise at a good price".

If you're so attached to "entry level jobs" (shitty pay, no benefits), Texasss and other backward red states are the place for you.

Texas? Thats funny,I dont hear anyone crying about how bad things are here?

And to act snobbish about the grocery store you shop at is,well??? Snobbish..

I can buy the same organic,free range no hormone chicken at HEB for around thirteen bucks verses eighteen bucks at whole foods.
I will go to sprouts because it's four blocks away and they have some great produce.
But for steaks and seafood? I'll take HEB....

I can buy the same organic,free range no hormone chicken at HEB for around thirteen bucks verses eighteen bucks at whole foods.
I will go to sprouts because it's four blocks away and they have some great produce.

If you say so -- it's what you just did.

You'll never get a deal at Ho Foods. They're all about the profit. Slightly different model.

If you say so -- it's what you just did.

You'll never get a deal at Ho Foods. They're all about the profit. Slightly different model.

I will admit to being a food snob. But I get it where it's best,not for political points from your friends and neighbors. Thats snobbish.....

No reason to boycott TJ's. His prices alone will keep people from shopping there.

No reason to boycott TJ's. His prices alone will keep people from shopping there.

"His"? You know Joe's long gone, right? Maybe not.

Anyway -- TJ prices will only keep people from shopping if they're determined to pay more.

TJ is owned by a German investor family who also owns Aldi's (which stands for Albrecht Discount). And they know what they're doing:

>> It's little wonder that Trader Joe's is one of the hottest retailers in the U.S. It now boasts 344 stores in 25 states and Washington, D.C., and strip-mall operators and consumers alike aggressively lobby the chain, based in Monrovia, Calif., to come to their towns. A Trader Joe's brings with it good jobs, and its presence in your community is like an affirmation that you and your neighbors are worldly and smart.

The privately held company's sales last year were roughly $8 billion, the same size as Whole Foods' (WFMI, Fortune 500) and bigger than those of Bed Bath & Beyond, No. 314 on the Fortune 500 list. Unlike those massive shopping emporiums, Trader Joe's has a deliberately scaled-down strategy: It is opening just five more locations this year. The company selects relatively small stores with a carefully curated selection of items. (Typical grocery stores can carry 50,000 stock-keeping units, or SKUs; Trader Joe's sells about 4,000 SKUs, and about 80% of the stock bears the Trader Joe's brand.) The result: Its stores sell an estimated $1,750 in merchandise per square foot, more than double Whole Foods'. The company has no debt and funds all growth from its own coffers. (CNN Money)

i dont know about that....the one i go to is always pretty crowded....

Wow, katzen is right again.

Trader Joe's is successful because they have really high quality and low prices.

And now we have another reason to shop there - they treat their employees well.

Forum List

Back