Anyone feel that earthquake?

Carla_Danger

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2013
A Red Welfare State
I woke up this morning with my dresser mirror hitting the wall and the whole house shaking. Weird stuff.

5.6 magnitude earthquake rattles Oklahoma, surrounding states Saturday

An earthquake that may have tied the biggest one in state history to date has rattled across Oklahoma and several surrounding states Saturday morning.

Preliminary reports are that the quake was 5.6 magnitude, the U.S. Geological Survey reports. That would tie the state's biggest quake in history, a 5.6 magnitude quake near Prague in 2011.

The quake Saturday was at 7:02 a.m. and the epicenter was 8 miles northwest of Pawnee in Pawnee County in northern Oklahoma near the Arkansas River, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.

When I was living in upstate New York a mild earthquake was reported in our area and it was a couple of days before a farmer discovered what had actually happened--an old salt mine had collapsed from encroaching ground water. It took out a piece of road and a bridge, as well as drowning a huge farm field in salt water.
That's why I wondered if maybe something underground had collapsed.

I live in California you'd have to ask which quake.
aint that the truth.....remember the Landers quake last century?.....now that was a quake.....i can imagine what those people in other parts of the world feel like when they get those 7 pointers...

Earthquake rookies!

True, and I'm already not a fan.

Crbe09UVUAMoA1p.jpg

The Associated Press attributes a recent increase in Oklahoma quake magnitudes to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production. Environmentalists have long been concerned about the side effects of fracking in the area, which has already been blamed for tremors in the region.

Seismic activity is getting worse in Oklahoma. The state is recording an average of two and a half earthquakes daily of a magnitude 3 or higher, a seismicity rate 600 times greater than before 2008. The state is now also the epicenter of a debate over whether wastewater disposal from fracking triggers earthquakes.

5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Oklahoma

Earthquake rookies!

Crbe09UVUAMoA1p.jpg

The Associated Press attributes a recent increase in Oklahoma quake magnitudes to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production. Environmentalists have long been concerned about the side effects of fracking in the area, which has already been blamed for tremors in the region.

Seismic activity is getting worse in Oklahoma. The state is recording an average of two and a half earthquakes daily of a magnitude 3 or higher, a seismicity rate 600 times greater than before 2008. The state is now also the epicenter of a debate over whether wastewater disposal from fracking triggers earthquakes.
But fracking is safe!

I woke up this morning with my dresser mirror hitting the wall and the whole house shaking. Weird stuff.

An earthquake that may have tied the biggest one in state history to date has rattled across Oklahoma and several surrounding states Saturday morning.

Preliminary reports are that the quake was 5.6 magnitude, the U.S. Geological Survey reports. That would tie the state's biggest quake in history, a 5.6 magnitude quake near Prague in 2011.

The quake Saturday was at 7:02 a.m. and the epicenter was 8 miles northwest of Pawnee in Pawnee County in northern Oklahoma near the Arkansas River, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.

Sorry, I was visiting but also doing a colon cleanse, far too much gas buildup and I had to let loose. I've already contacted the USGS and apologized. :dunno:

Sorry, I was visiting but also doing a colon cleanse, far too much gas buildup and I had to let loose. I've already contacted the USGS and apologized. :dunno:

You woke me up! :mad:

I'm from the West Coast, PNW area. We have earthquakes on a regular basis, but not as bad as in California. Usually, in the PNW, they don't do much damage. There was a 7.0 earthquake near Olympia, Wa in 1949 that caused milllions of $ of damage and 8 deaths. In 1965 a 6.7 caused millions of $ of damage and 3 people were killed. In 1945 and 1946 there were 7.3 earthquakes in the PNW with 2 deaths in 1946. There was a 6.8 in 2001.

Seattle Tacoma Area, Washington has had: (M1.5 or greater)
  • 0 earthquakes today
  • 1 earthquake in the past 7 days
  • 6 earthquakes in the past month
  • 70 earthquakes in the past year
The largest earthquake in Seattle Tacoma Area, Washington:
I grew up with them and they are fairly common, but not usually very big.

You woke me up! :mad:
Hey, if I'm awake everyone needs to be awake!!!!!!

Earthquake rookies!

Crbe09UVUAMoA1p.jpg

But fracking is safe!
So is tectonic plate movement....... :dunno:

:D

I'm from the West Coast, PNW area. We have earthquakes on a regular basis, but not as bad as in California. Usually, in the PNW, they don't do much damage. There was a 7.0 earthquake near Olympia, Wa in 1949 that caused milllions of $ of damage and 8 deaths. In 1965 a 6.7 caused millions of $ of damage and 3 people were killed. In 1945 and 1946 there were 7.3 earthquakes in the PNW with 2 deaths in 1946. There was a 6.8 in 2001.

Seattle Tacoma Area, Washington has had: (M1.5 or greater)
  • 0 earthquakes today
  • 1 earthquake in the past 7 days
  • 6 earthquakes in the past month
  • 70 earthquakes in the past year
The largest earthquake in Seattle Tacoma Area, Washington:
I grew up with them and they are fairly common, but not usually very big.

A 7.3 would be scary!

Forum List

Back