AOC: "growing cauliflower is colonial, we should grow culturally significant plants like yucca"

I have no idea what it means but it damn sure has nothing to do with race, which wasn't even mentioned.

I don't know what's involved in yucca cultivation but cauliflower is not that easy. I wouldn't want the headache. Needs constant attention. But again, it would need the same attention regardless what my race was, so this headline is just bizzaro.
It's YUCA. Yucca with two c's is a cousin of yuca that we make supplements out of, but don't eat.
When I looked it up ('cuz I had no idea what it was) first thing I saw was "yuca (or cassava) ... do not confuse it with yucca. They are entirely different plants."
I know you like to get things right, Pogo.

I think you are being far too literal in your interpretation of what she said. She was definitely saying that a lot of folks of color aren't interested in community gardening because it's all these white cracker vegetables, not vegetables they're familiar with. Of course, if she had ever tried growing anything other than a philodendron, she would realize that none of these veggies she mentioned will grow in Zone 5 New York.

No idea. I know next to nothing about yucca and never even heard of yuca. I believe the text, whatever it means, says the former, but again it referred to disdain for growing it (whichever) instead of cauliflower. And for all I know yuc(c)a may be easier to grow in its climate -- cauliflower is pretty sensitive, but it certainly can be grown in New York. What she's saying, as far as can be verbally navigated at all in a stream-of-consciousness, is that it would be wrong to impose the idea of growing yucca and plantains instead of cauliflower --- not that New Yorkers should be growing them.

But again, exactly because it is such an inchoate stream of consciousness tweet, as opposed to a composed speech or op-ed that would be the normal medium of normal political discourse, it's all too easy for the sleazy to append a fake headline and go "look! white supremacy", knowing there are enough of the antisentient element who will read no further than the headline and swallow it whole, as the OP did. Because that way they make money from ad clicks.

I keep coming back to the maxim, "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".
I agree with you that the headline is misleading, per usual around here.
The rest is a valiant effort, but I'm interpreting her stream of consciousness differently.
BTW, yuca does not grow north of Zone 8. New York is in Zone 5.

-- which would make it all the more inappropriate.
I think that's supposed to be the point. It's drawing a comparison by absurd analogy, because it wouldn't make sense.

It says "yucca" anyway, but same difference.
There are people mixing up yucca plants with yuca (cassava), but I didn't think you would want to be one of those people spelling it wrong.
THIS IS YUCCA: Read the damned description
Yucca, Common (Yucca filamentosa), packet of 20 seeds
$2.95

Family: Agave (Agavaceae)

Hardy to Zones 4 to 10.

(Adam’s Needle, Spanish Bayonet) Evergreen, fibrous-leaved monocot native to the American SE. Trunkless, palm-like, drought and cold resistant, with large spires of cream-colored flowers. The leaves can be used to make rope, the roots used to make soap. Plant prefers full sun and dryish, fast-draining soils. Sow seed in sandy mix in flats or pots. Plant 1/4 inch deep, tamp firmly, and keep evenly moist and warm until germination, which takes about a week. Work plants up in successively larger pots until they are sufficiently sized to survive the rigors of landscape or garden. Keep weeds back by weeding and then mulching around the plant with sand.

Packet of 20 seeds, Open-pollinated, Untreated, No GMO’s
Yucca_Filamentosa_2018_2-300x269.jpg

This is YUCA (Cassava) and the chefs, including Martha Stewart, know how to spell it correctly.
View attachment 262573
recipes.doctoryum.org
Directions
  1. Place the yuca into a pan and fill with enough water to cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. ...
  2. Meanwhile, place the olive oil, onion, garlic, and lemon juice into a pan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.
Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe

Yuca with Mojo Sauce Recipe & Video | Martha Stewart

https://www.marthastewart.com/348635/yuca-mojo-sauce
Yuca with Mojo Sauce
View attachment 262574
Rating: 4.1 - ‎9 votes
Peel and halve the yuca roots. Place yuca in a large pot with 1 teaspoon salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until just tender.

Damn....now you've gone and got my taste buds humming!

Gonna have to try that!

Jo

According to AOC, if you plant cauliflowers, you’re probably a closet white supremacist...who knew.

Ocasio Cortez: Planting cauliflower is racist, y'all
a defensive response to right wing bigotry as usual.

this is the only true answer for true Patriots to our Republic:

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Defensive response to right wing bigotry, WTF? Are you really AOC?

My impression was that she feels many people of color are not familiar with Cauliflower and are simply more familiar with Yucca, therefore they have no interest in planting colonialist type foods. I think she underestimates people here.

I have no idea what it means but it damn sure has nothing to do with race, which wasn't even mentioned.

I don't know what's involved in yucca cultivation but cauliflower is not that easy. I wouldn't want the headache. Needs constant attention. But again, it would need the same attention regardless what my race was, so this headline is just bizzaro.
It's YUCA. Yucca with two c's is a cousin of yuca that we make supplements out of, but don't eat.
When I looked it up ('cuz I had no idea what it was) first thing I saw was "yuca (or cassava) ... do not confuse it with yucca. They are entirely different plants."

I think you are being far too literal in your interpretation of what she said. She was definitely saying that a lot of folks of color aren't interested in community gardening because it's all these white cracker vegetables, not vegetables they're familiar with. Of course, if she had ever tried growing anything other than a philodendron, she would realize that none of these veggies she mentioned will grow in Zone 5 New York.
Crackers are vegetables?

Just kidding. Definitely a funny thread award winner for the USMB Oscars.

They were going to be called the Rhetorical Darwin Awards but inasmuch as the nominations make up about 80% of the threads in this joint, the idea was canned as inoperable. Also it would be 'racist'. Like, you know, pruning blackberries.

do they grow blackberries in community gardens?

I dunno but I'm swimming in 'em. They're like weeds.

No idea. I know next to nothing about yucca and never even heard of yuca. I believe the text, whatever it means, says the former, but again it referred to disdain for growing it (whichever) instead of cauliflower. And for all I know yuc(c)a may be easier to grow in its climate -- cauliflower is pretty sensitive, but it certainly can be grown in New York. What she's saying, as far as can be verbally navigated at all in a stream-of-consciousness, is that it would be wrong to impose the idea of growing yucca and plantains instead of cauliflower --- not that New Yorkers should be growing them.

But again, exactly because it is such an inchoate stream of consciousness tweet, as opposed to a composed speech or op-ed that would be the normal medium of normal political discourse, it's all too easy for the sleazy to append a fake headline and go "look! white supremacy", knowing there are enough of the antisentient element who will read no further than the headline and swallow it whole, as the OP did. Because that way they make money from ad clicks.

I keep coming back to the maxim, "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".
The rest is a valiant effort, but I'm interpreting her stream of consciousness differently.

I think that's supposed to be the point. It's drawing a comparison by absurd analogy, because it wouldn't make sense.

There are people mixing up yucca plants with yuca (cassava), but I didn't think you would want to be one of those people spelling it wrong.
$2.95

Hardy to Zones 4 to 10.

(Adam’s Needle, Spanish Bayonet) Evergreen, fibrous-leaved monocot native to the American SE. Trunkless, palm-like, drought and cold resistant, with large spires of cream-colored flowers. The leaves can be used to make rope, the roots used to make soap. Plant prefers full sun and dryish, fast-draining soils. Sow seed in sandy mix in flats or pots. Plant 1/4 inch deep, tamp firmly, and keep evenly moist and warm until germination, which takes about a week. Work plants up in successively larger pots until they are sufficiently sized to survive the rigors of landscape or garden. Keep weeds back by weeding and then mulching around the plant with sand.

This is YUCA (Cassava) and the chefs, including Martha Stewart, know how to spell it correctly.
View attachment 262573
recipes.doctoryum.org
Directions
  1. Place the yuca into a pan and fill with enough water to cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. ...
  2. Meanwhile, place the olive oil, onion, garlic, and lemon juice into a pan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.

Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe

https://www.marthastewart.com/348635/yuca-mojo-sauce
Yuca with Mojo Sauce
View attachment 262574
Peel and halve the yuca roots. Place yuca in a large pot with 1 teaspoon salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until just tender.

I get that, and agree the single-C looks far more scrumptious.
But the original text did say "yucca" ---- whichever was intended. You may be correct about the intention as a misspelling but I don't think I'm qualified to make that assumption. Bigger fish to fry, to mix a metaphor.

$2.95

Hardy to Zones 4 to 10.

View attachment 262573
recipes.doctoryum.org
Directions

Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe

Yuca with Mojo Sauce
View attachment 262574

But the original text did say "yucca" ---- whichever was intended. You may be correct about the intention as a misspelling but I don't think I'm qualified to make that assumption. Bigger fish to fry, to mix a metaphor.
Well that's better. Why I had to argue with you about it, I don't know, but anyway, my work here is done.

$2.95

Hardy to Zones 4 to 10.

View attachment 262573
recipes.doctoryum.org
Directions

Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe

Yuca with Mojo Sauce
View attachment 262574

Well that's better. Why I had to argue with you about it, I don't know, but anyway, my work here is done.

:dunno: Today I learned what yuca is.

I :11_2_1043::11_2_1043:agree with you that the headline is misleading, per usual around here.

$2.95

Hardy to Zones 4 to 10.

View attachment 262573
recipes.doctoryum.org
Directions

Cuban-Style Yuca Recipe

Yuca with Mojo Sauce
View attachment 262574

:dunno: Today I learned what yuca is.
:11_2_1043:

>> Yucca Flat is a closed desert drainage basin, one of four major nuclear test regions within the Nevada Test Site (NTS), and is divided into nine test sections: Areas 1 through 4 and 6 through 10. Yucca Flat is located at the eastern edge of NTS, about ten miles (16 km) north of Frenchman Flat, and 65 miles (105 km) from Las Vegas, Nevada.[2] Yucca Flat was the site for 739 nuclear tests – nearly four of every five tests carried out at the NTS.[3]

Yucca Flat has been called "the most irradiated, nuclear-blasted spot on the face of the earth".[2] In March 2009, TIME identified the 1970 Yucca Flat Baneberry Test, where 86 workers were exposed to radiation, as one of the world's worst nuclear disasters.[4] << --- Wicci

<< During the 1950s, the mushroom clouds, from the 100 atmospheric tests, could be seen from almost 100 mi (160 km) away. The city of Las Vegas experienced noticeable seismic effects, and the mushroom clouds, which could be seen from the downtown hotels, became tourist attractions. St. George, Utah, received the brunt of the fallout of above-ground nuclear testing in the Yucca Flats/Nevada Test Site. Westerly winds routinely carried the fallout of these tests directly through St. George and southern Utah. Marked increases in cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, bone cancer, brain tumors, and gastrointestinal tract cancers, were reported from the mid-1950s through 1980.[3][4]A further 921 nuclear tests were carried out underground.

From 1986 through 1994, two years after the United States put a hold on full-scale nuclear weapons testing, 536 anti-nuclearprotests were held at the Nevada Test Site involving 37,488 participants and 15,740 arrests, according to government records.[5] Those arrested included the astronomer Carl Sagan, musician Kris Kristofferson, and the actors Martin Sheen and Robert Blake. << --- Wicci again

a defensive response to right wing bigotry as usual.

this is the only true answer for true Patriots to our Republic:

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.
[/QUOTE]

And likewise, danielpalos, the true answer
for true liberals who support true inclusion of all people regardless of CREED:

A. (Amendment V)
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

(Amendment XIV)
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

IE NOT "AGREEING" WITH YOUR LIBERAL OR SOCIALIST BELIEFS
does not justify abusing Govt and majority rule to DEPRIVE others of
LIBERTY
without due process to LEGALLY PROVE such people are committing some abuse meriting loss of liberty.

2. SEE ALSO:
TITLE VI OF THE 1964 CIVIL RIGHTS ACT

No person in the United States shall on the basis of sex, race, national origin, creed,
age, marital status, or disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of,
or be subjected to discrimination
under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

Again danielpalos whether abusing Govt, majority rule, or judicial rule to do so,
it remains UNLAWFUL to DISCRIMINATE against people who BELIEVE by their CREED
that SOCIALIST BELIEFS dictated or mandated through Govt WITHOUT CONSENT
and AGAINST THE BELIEFS of citizens are UNCONSTITUTIONAL and/or UNLAWFUL by the
* First Amendment on religious freedom from establishment of such biased beliefs
* Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment on equal protection of the laws including due process of laws BEFORE denying liberty
* Civil Rights Act barring Discrimination by CREED

You remain free to mandate your beliefs for your own followers and adherents.
But have NO RIGHT to abuse Govt to force your beliefs on others, including political beliefs, unless people CONSENT.
And clearly people DO NOT.

www.ethics-commission.net

She is without a doubt the most ignorant female politician of my lifetime, easily beating Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee and even the legendary Cynthia McKinney for the title.

She IS good for a laugh, though.

Hey, her teeth are white too and thus they are racist. Why won't she start fighting with them to begin with and leave the world alone, at least for a while.

P.S. People like AOC obviously belong to local mental hospitals.

I am intrigued-----I have questions and hope for answers. Who in
the racist government of the USA is responsible to determining just
what is planted in the community gardens?. I need to know the
ENTIRE LINE OF COMMAND----if there is a community garden in
Bronx NY-----what branch of the USA government deals with-----
thou shalt plant white asparagus?. Why must the asparagus be white
and most important ---RECIPES

are cucumbers ok? the brits make cucumber sandwiches on WHITE
bread. Is white bread ok? The combination seems utterly
WASP y to me

I have another question------just how popular is YUCA in the USA amongst
PEOPLE OF COLOR?

are cucumbers ok? the brits make cucumber sandwiches on WHITE
bread. Is white bread ok? The combination seems utterly
WASP y to me
Hispanics never could figure out how to make leavened bread...

why do you single out "HISPANICS" ? , white ass.? btw----I am
a kinda naïve person------just where were tortillas invented? -----it is
actually a difficult question------I mean actual things called tortillas---
of corn flour. The Spanish people (I mean in spain) did not have corn
until they stole it from the Aztecs along with Montezumas gold. There is lots
of flat bread in the world------a jewish invention called "MATZOH". ------since
jews and hindus got along in the ancient world-----hindus renamed it
"chappattis"

Forum List

Back