Are Americans Fools to be Afraid of Ebola and ISIS?

Are Americans Fools to be afraid of Ebola and ISIS?

• Don't know/Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

Those words were spoken in the 1986 remake of the movie, "The Fly." Both politicians and the media seems to have figured out that if stirring up fear is good for the people who sell home alarm systems and the monthly subscriptions that go with them, then maybe it's just good for them too.

Two things have recently hit the airwaves along with the halls of power in Washington, DC. One is about the Ebola virus. The other is about ISIS. And both the media AND people in gov't seem to be playing the fear card.

Ebola

Should you be afraid of Ebola? I can't imagine why you would be. Do you know what the total numbers of deaths are from the Ebola virus in the 3 East African countries where it has broken out? It's fewer than 4,000. Keep in mind that those countries have a third world health care system.

If you want something to compare the outbreak of Ebola to something TRULY frightening in terms of an illness, the Spanish flue outbreak right after WWI would be the one to pick. It killed an estimated 50-100 million people worldwide with approximately 500,000 to 675,000 Americans dying at a time when the American population was only a little over 100 million people. In fact, you and your family STILL have more to worry about when it comes to a breakout of the flu than you have to worry about Ebola despite the pictures of men in hazmat suit.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

ISIS

Boy, the whole al Qaeda thing worked so well over a decade ago, that I guess some politicians just can't resist the urge to spread fear about ISIS coming across our borders to strike at the heart of America. What nonsense!

While I would never say it couldn't happen, you've got more to be afraid about when it comes to drunk drivers, idiot drivers on cell phones trying to text someone about some unimportant nonsense like the new app they just downloaded, and home grown criminals or mentally ill gun nuts showing up at the mall with a grudge and two banana clips taped together.

Come on, America, SUCK IT UP. If you want to be afraid of something, be afraid of something REAL! Otherwise you sound like a bunch of young kids on a camping trip after hearing an hoot owl for the first time.

The desire to help people will be what spreads the disease. In the past, ebola outbreaks were largely contained because they did not have so many people going in and out of ground zero. I heard a story where back in the day, some aid workers directed others not to come assist because it was spreading. Now everybody is crying that they need more people in the hot zone.

I wouldn't call them fools. Government/Corporate Media Propaganda is very powerful. They're just being herded in a particular direction. And it's incredibly difficult choosing not to run with the herd. If you don't join the herd, you risk becoming a marginalized outcast. You'll quickly be labeled an 'America-Hater', 'Terrorist', 'Conspiracy Theorist', and so on. Running with the herd is so much easier.

I wouldn't call them fools. Government/Corporate Media Propaganda is very powerful. They're just being herded in a particular direction. And it's incredibly difficult choosing not to run with the herd. If you don't join the herd, you risk becoming a marginalized outcast. You'll quickly be labeled an 'America-Hater', 'Terrorist', 'Conspiracy Theorist', and so on. Running with the herd is so much easier.

How many people in America have died as a result of terrorist attacks since 9-11-01? Even counting the Fort Hood shooting by Nidal Hasan, the number is in the low two digits. Meanwhile, how many Americans are killed by guns and drunk drivers every year? It's tens of thousands, isn't it? If a person is going to be afraid of something, he or she needs to be aware of the REAL risks, not the fear generated from risks that are not likely to happen at all.

Except that's exactly what you do with your idiotic "they have run out of things to ban" silliness.

Get a grip.

Except that's exactly what you do with your idiotic "they have run out of things to ban" silliness.

Get a grip.

Nah, wanting to ban anything or anyone you disagree with, is running with the herd. Opposing that mentality, is what gets you in trouble.

I actually stopped watching TV a few years ago. But on those times when I stop to get coffee or breakfast someplace, and the news is on, I'll watch it for a while if for no other reason than to get a sense of what the outrage du jour is. A few days ago, I listened to one host prattle on about Ebola like a rabbit running from a couple of foxes. It would have been hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that I knew she was doing more to fan the flames of fear than to calm the waters of irrationality. Today wasn't much better when I heard some newsreader say that Ebola was HIGHLY contagious. No it isn't. Small pox and the measles are highly contagious. Ebola is merely contagious since it can be transmitted, but not highly contagious because it can't be transmitted through the air. But I guess the ratings are better if people are afraid. Some of our Representatives in Congress are not much better when I hear stories about how ISIS fighters are supposedly coming across the border. Do you suppose they're bringing weapons with them, or are they going to buy them from someone here who can legally sell guns on the Internet without a gun license or without doing a background check. THINK, people. For cryin' out loud, don't tell me you're afraid of terrorists if you want to keep it legal (and easy) for anyone who wants a gun to be able to buy one with little or no accountability or even without any kind of a paper trail.

I actually stopped watching TV a few years ago. But on those times when I stop to get coffee or breakfast someplace, and the news is on, I'll watch it for a while if for no other reason than to get a sense of what the outrage du jour is. A few days ago, I listened to one host prattle on about Ebola like a rabbit running from a couple of foxes. It would have been hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that I knew she was doing more to fan the flames of fear than to calm the waters of irrationality. Today wasn't much better when I heard some newsreader say that Ebola was HIGHLY contagious. No it isn't. Small pox and the measles are highly contagious. Ebola is merely contagious since it can be transmitted, but not highly contagious because it can't be transmitted through the air. But I guess the ratings are better if people are afraid. Some of our Representatives in Congress are not much better when I hear stories about how ISIS fighters are supposedly coming across the border. Do you suppose they're bringing weapons with them, or are they going to buy them from someone here who can legally sell guns on the Internet without a gun license or without doing a background check. THINK, people. For cryin' out loud, don't tell me you're afraid of terrorists if you want to keep it legal (and easy) for anyone who wants a gun to be able to buy one with little or no accountability or even without any kind of a paper trail.

. "Ebola is merely contagious since it can be transmitted, but not highly contagious because it can't be transmitted through the air. "
The fact that the people that are interacting with the patients and the patient's things are wearing hazmat suits and BREATHING MASKS is just coincidental, huh?

. "Ebola is merely contagious since it can be transmitted, but not highly contagious because it can't be transmitted through the air. "
The fact that the people that are interacting with the patients and the patient's things are wearing hazmat suits and BREATHING MASKS is just coincidental, huh?

Just SOP is my guess. They put those hazmat suits on as a matter of course even when gloves and a face mask would be more than enough protection under most circumstances. But I suppose it's always possible that some worker with a small scratch on his arm could get infected if his or her arm was touched by someone with the virus. But it mostly serves to freak people out.

As far as the American soldiers being sent into the afflicted countries in Africa is concerned, my guess is that they'll all be quarantined at some military base for a period to exceed the length of the incubation of Ebola prior to being released from restricted duty and allowed to mix with other soldiers and the general population. But you would never even know about any precautions being taken if you listen to the alarmist nature of the reports that is endemic in the media these days.

Both can and will kill you and neither discriminate in who they kill so I would say there is reason for concern with both.
Both can and will kill you and neither discriminate in who they kill so I would say there is reason for concern with both.

So? You're going to die of SOMETHING. But the chances of dying of Ebola (of even contracting it) is infinitesimal. So are the chances of being killed in a terrorist attack. Cancer or heart disease is more likely something you should be concerned about. So, my contention is if you want to be afraid of something, pick something that has a realistic probability of being a real threat to you.

So? You're going to die of SOMETHING. But the chances of dying of Ebola (of even contracting it) is infinitesimal. So are the chances of being killed in a terrorist attack. Cancer or heart disease is more likely something you should be concerned about. So, my contention is if you want to be afraid of something, pick something that has a realistic probability of being a real threat to you.
I didn't say anything about being afraid I said there is reason for concern just as there is reason for concern over the things you listed along with people who drink and drive or text and drive and a million other things. Having concern about something does not mean living in terror over it.

I didn't say anything about being afraid I said there is reason for concern just as there is reason for concern over the things you listed along with people who drink and drive or text and drive and a million other things. Having concern about something does not mean living in terror over it.

Concern?

When our gov't officials and the media together spend a great deal of the public's time and attention on supposedly drawing attention to extremely unlikely threats to the public while avoiding spending much of any time on addressing public threats which result in tens of thousands of deaths every year, I think we're being hoodwinked. Could it be that the powerful alcohol industry, the restaurant and bar lobby, cell phone makers and plan providers, and gun manufactures and sellers view the fatalities that result from the use of their products as being little more than an annoyance if and when it's brought to their attention? After all, as the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Put another way, if the public's attention is not focused on those problems, instead of addressing them with possible solutions to try to lessen all those fatalities, it's merely accepted even as the media focuses on threats that aren't even statistically relevant to the lives of average people. That's not to say that gov't and the media should ignore the POTENTIAL of those threats. But nobody can convince me that cell phones couldn't be made in such a way as to limit their use above a certain speed, or that cars couldn't be made with devices that wouldn't allow them to start unless the driver passed a sobriety test. Some of this is technology that has been around for years. After all, there are over 10,000 alcohol-related fatalities in America every year, and the number of deaths in America from terrorism last year was what? Zero? Or was someone in America killed by a terrorist, and it didn't get reported?

So, as for me, I'm not concerned about ISIS or al Qaeda on the streets of America. However, I DO drive the streets of America, and I damn well know there are drunk drivers on the streets morning, noon, and night. But that's not a sexy way to spend taxpayer money, is it? Instead, politicians end up shoveling it into the Dept of Homeland Security making sober citizens take off their shoes instead of setting up checkpoints in the parking lots of night spots where you can tell people are drunk just by how loud they're talking.

It's just more nonsense which is meant to distract people from real life concerns and get them focused on nonsense instead.

Last edited:
Listen to Obama. It's safe to be on a bus with someone infected with Ebola

The virus isn't transmitted by magic any more than any other virus is. You could stand right next to a person with the virus and not contract the illness as long as you were careful with what you touched. If it was otherwise, half of all Africans would be dead or dying by now.

Forum List

Back