Ariens Co. fires seven Muslim employees over unscheduled prayer breaks

Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks, and 14 others have resigned over the issue.

Ariens Co. fires seven Muslim employees

Just one word: assimilation If you are changing your home country expect there to be cultural differences.
If a western woman was going to live in a Muslim country, she would have to assimilate to their culture and never drive a car, wear a head scarf and change your way of dressing. If she couldn't handle that, don't go to a Muslim country. Vice Versa likewise.

if a company did that to a Christian you'd be singing a different tune.
Be VERY specific, quote and link to a case or cases where ANY Christians were granted special prayer times at work, special accommodations for prayer rooms or given special consideration on when they take their vacations.

Which denominations of the Christian faith require that?
Once again dumbass having been briefed many times in the Military by Muslim clerics and leaders, I know for a fact that there is NO requirement to meet all 5 prayer schedules IF your work or your school conflict. In those cases the prayer schedule is alleviated by the religion and that is true of both Sunni and Shia.

When did I say there should be? Quote me on that or shut the fuck up poser.
The claim by you and your buddies in this thread is that the employer MUST make time for his employees to pray at their convenience, that is not true, there is NO RELIGIOUS requirement in Islam to pray 5 times a day IF your work or school schedule conflicts with the prayer schedule.
Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks, and 14 others have resigned over the issue.

More than 50 Somali immigrant Muslims at the Brillion manufacturer recently protested the company's enforcement of a policy of two 10-minute breaks per work shift — without accommodations forunscheduled prayer time.

The Muslim employees wanted the manufacturer of snowblowers and lawn mowers to continue a previous, more lenient practice of allowing them to leave their work stations at different times — such as at dawn and sunset — to pray as their faith requires of them.

Ariens said it was sticking with a policy that does not accommodate special prayer breaks, despite having bent the rules earlier.

Wednesday, Ariens said 32 of the Muslim employees have chosen to stay with the company and work within the break policy, 14 had resigned and seven were fired for taking unscheduled prayer time.

"We handled this with the same straightforward approach we use every day at Ariens Company. Recognizing there are language barriers and cultural differences, we allowed for extra time. We would have liked for more of the employees to stay, however, we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done for Ariens Company, and we respect their decisions," the company said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington, D.C.-based group that has been an advocate for the Muslims at Ariens, says it may file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which enforces federal employment discrimination laws.

Just one word: assimilation If you are changing your home country expect there to be cultural differences.
If a western woman was going to live in a Muslim country, she would have to assimilate to their culture and never drive a car, wear a head scarf and change your way of dressing. If she couldn't handle that, don't go to a Muslim country. Vice Versa likewise.

Again BE VERY specific and provide us an example of a Christian requirement to take special breaks have special rooms or meet special break days off.

Interesting how RW'ers tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims.
Which company gives accommodations for Christians to stop working multiple times during the work day to pray?

My last employer allowed a Christian employee to rearrange his whole worknight so he could have 2 hours off on a midweek evening to go to a prayer meeting.

So your employer okay'ed the prayer meeting. He was under no obligation to do so.

The employee could have quit if your employer disagreed. That would be his only recourse.

As far as prayers, maybe they should have prayed to keep their jobs.

More than 50 Somali immigrant Muslims at the Brillion manufacturer recently protested the company's enforcement of a policy of two 10-minute breaks per work shift — without accommodations forunscheduled prayer time.

The Muslim employees wanted the manufacturer of snowblowers and lawn mowers to continue a previous, more lenient practice of allowing them to leave their work stations at different times — such as at dawn and sunset — to pray as their faith requires of them.

Ariens said it was sticking with a policy that does not accommodate special prayer breaks, despite having bent the rules earlier.

Wednesday, Ariens said 32 of the Muslim employees have chosen to stay with the company and work within the break policy, 14 had resigned and seven were fired for taking unscheduled prayer time.

"We handled this with the same straightforward approach we use every day at Ariens Company. Recognizing there are language barriers and cultural differences, we allowed for extra time. We would have liked for more of the employees to stay, however, we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done for Ariens Company, and we respect their decisions," the company said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington, D.C.-based group that has been an advocate for the Muslims at Ariens, says it may file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which enforces federal employment discrimination laws.

Yeah, you're right. I just hate it when a company supplies me a prayer room and allows me time to pray several times a day, but they claim I screw up the works on my 5th break to pray again. They claim they have a business to run! Who in the hell do they think they are! It's just a job!

Yeah, you're right. I just hate it when a company supplies me a prayer room and allows me time to pray several times a day, but they claim I screw up the works on my 5th break to pray again. They claim they have a business to run! Who in the hell do they think they are! It's just a job!

I understand.

and yet, you don't want people punished for their peaceful religious observance.

I think reasonable accomidations are, well, reasonable. But accomidations that genuinely damage your employers ability to do business? That's not reasonable.

I wouldn't have given Steve Young a pass on Sunday NFL games just because he was Mormon either.

I understand.

and yet, you don't want people punished for their peaceful religious observance.
Not when you have multiple people running around for prayers all day long! Retired Sargeant has already addressed that they don't have to do that so often at work. Tell you what, YOU start a company, expecting people to work in an orderly manner and get 40 or so employees taking 5 breaks a day, running off to a safe room. You would fire all their asses, not just seven!

Interesting how RW'ers tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims.
Which company gives accommodations for Christians to stop working multiple times during the work day to pray?

My last employer allowed a Christian employee to rearrange his whole worknight so he could have 2 hours off on a midweek evening to go to a prayer meeting.

So your employer okay'ed the prayer meeting. He was under no obligation to do so.

The employee could have quit if your employer disagreed. That would be his only recourse.

Pay attention. Someone asked me for an example. I gave them one.

All the attacks on me in this thread are based on me saying that we should treat everyone the same under the law.

You figure that out.

All the attacks on me in this thread are based on me saying that we should treat everyone the same under the law.

You figure that out.
You know, ah , what's the use? You can't relate to a brick wall unless their was a mirror facing you.

You figure that out.
You know, ah , what's the use? You can't relate to a brick wall unless their was a mirror facing you.

Why are you attacking me for saying the law should apply to all?

Why post this in the first place since the Somalis were fired and others quit?

What was your political point? In 'Politics'?

You figure that out.

Where is it that anyone is reacting differently? You attack

You figure that out.

Why did you attack " RW'ers" for saying they tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims?

There was nothing in the thread that indicated they did. Yours was the third post. No one stated a different reaction.

Love how libs can spew stupidity and hate getting called on it

Again for the truly slow stupid and moronic, THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT in ISLAM to meet all 5 prayers IF YOUR JOB OR SCHOOL ARE IN SESSION DURING THAT TIME.

For the truly stupid and moronic RetiredGySgt: The five daily prayers are one of the five pillars of Islam. They are considered a mandatory practice. Now nothing requires a Muslim to partake in all five prayers every single day, much in the same way that nothing requires a Jew to keep kosher. But your asinine and poorly informed babbling is irrelevant. The fact is that it is a religious practice. So stop with your bullshit. :slap:

That's the beauty of owning your own business. You make the rules, not the hired help. They have the right to not have production interrupted and obviously preferred to stay on schedule instead of being a quasi-mosque. If you religion prevents you from a job, find another job, another religion or adjust to the circumstances.

The law requires that employers not discriminate against anyone because of religion. To this end, all employees must be afforded reasonable accommodations to allow for religious obligations. If an unemployment action or lawsuit occurs, the employer will have a burden to prove that the requested accommodation was unreasonable.

Just because you hate Muslims does not make the accommodation unreasonable. That the accommodation had previously been granted weights in the favor of finding that the accommodation was reasonable and did not great undue burden on the employer.

That is the law. I know you don't like it, but it's the law all the same.

Why would a company risk the inevitable lawsuits and legal costs if there wasn't issues with how the breaks were impacting production?

1 - Lawsuits aren't inevitable. Complacency can lead some people to take undo risks.

2 - Ignorance. Some managers don't know any better.

3 - Incompetence. Some managers don't know how to implement change effectively.

4 - Hasty decision making. Some managers don't think think it through to envision the possible consequences.

5 - Pride. Some managers don't want anyone, even the law, telling them what to do.

6 - Bona fide prejudice/hatred. If you hate Muslims you might not care what the consequences are.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. You'll see it in spades when you grow up and enter the real world.

You figure that out.

You figure that out.

Why did you attack " RW'ers" for saying they tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims?

There was nothing in the thread that indicated they did. Yours was the third post. No one stated a different reaction.

So no one around here ever defended Kim Davis and wanted her anti-gay bias 'accommodated'?

You figure that out.

You figure that out.

So no one around here ever defended Kim Davis and wanted her anti-gay bias 'accommodated'?

I never supported Davis, if she had a job to do that infringed on her religious beliefs, then she needed to either quit or transfer to an area that did not go against her beliefs. Same with any job. I didn't follow her story to closely, it was pretty cut and dry for me.

I think the workers have the higher burden to meet, as they are the ones with the requirement that adversely impacts work production. This isn't s a sikh wanting to wear a turban with the MTA logo, or a woman wanting to cover her hair when most workers do not. This is time away from production that the employees expect to be allowed while being compensated for working.

If a lawsuit were to happen, it would be very easy for the former employees to make a prima facia case of discrimination. They have a sincere belief in the Muslim religion. The practice of the five daily prayers is part of that belief. The accommodation they were requesting was previously granted. Their separation from employment was directly tied to not being given the requested accommodation. That is sufficient to make their prima facie case. The burden will then shift to the employer.

The reason why the burden will be so difficult for the employer is precisely because the employer had previously granted the requested accommodation to many individuals. Everything that you've been arguing all boils down to hypothetical abstractions about what might happen. But that is not going to cut it in a court of law. No employer has the right to discriminate on the basis of religion simply on hypothetical or abstract problems that might arise from accommodating the employee.

For example, it would be unlawful to discriminate against a Catholic employee on the basis that his being Catholic was suddenly making all the other employees angry, thus causing productivity problems when the other employees refused to work with the Catholic employee. Such an argument is an abstraction; the cause of any problems is due to disciplinary matters and does not warrant impinging on the Catholic man's beliefs. Alternately, a Pagan who does not eat meat for religious reasons might need a reasonable accommodation at their job in a hotel to store a sack lunch in the kitchen's food cooler if the employer normally provides daily meals for employees lunch break and prohibits them from leaving the premises during their lunch. If that accommodation has always been granted, but one day the rule is changed on the hypothetical basis that other people might want to also store food in the cooler and that could or might cause productivity issues, then the employer's reasoning would be discriminatory.

Good for that company.
I have no problem with immigration to this country. I have a problem with immigrants wanting US to assimilate. Fuck that. If you don't like western culture, don't fuckin come!

Suppose these people were born in America they are just as American as you...

Personally I have worked with many Devout Muslims and I never minded prayers... It is just part of the routine in the day... It is like a toilet break...

Actually can offer structure to the day....

Just for curiosity, do the times designated for prayers change with the change of the clock in the Spring and Fall?

The times aren't marked on a clock. They are identified by phases of the day, essentially based on the sun. IIRC it goes something like this:

1 - After dawn, before sunrise.
2 - Mid day (identified by when the sun is overhead)
3 - Afternoon (identified by an object's shadow being longer than the object itself)
4 - After sunset, before dusk
5 - Night (any time between dusk and dawn)

Again for the truly slow stupid and moronic, THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT in ISLAM to meet all 5 prayers IF YOUR JOB OR SCHOOL ARE IN SESSION DURING THAT TIME.

For the truly stupid and moronic RetiredGySgt: The five daily prayers are one of the five pillars of Islam. They are considered a mandatory practice. Now nothing requires a Muslim to partake in all five prayers every single day, much in the same way that nothing requires a Jew to keep kosher. But your asinine and poorly informed babbling is irrelevant. The fact is that it is a religious practice. So stop with your bullshit. :slap:
Wrong you moron I was briefed by Islamic scholars and religious leaders and they stated for the record that Islam does NOT require prayer that conflicts with work or school. Those are exceptions to any such requirement. It is a fact of LAW that a Muslim does not have a legal standing to claim his religion requires him to pray 5 times a day when it conflicts with either work or school.

Wrong you moron I was briefed by Islamic scholars and religious leaders and they stated for the record that Islam does NOT require prayer that conflicts with work or school. Those are exceptions to any such requirement. It is a fact of LAW that a Muslim does not have a legal standing to claim his religion requires him to pray 5 times a day when it conflicts with either work or school.

:lmao:

:slap:

You don't know what you're talking about. Idiot.

Forum List

Back