Army renames Georgia's Fort Benning after decorated Vietnam vet Hal Moore

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021

• The Army has renamed Georgia's Fort Benning to Fort Moore, commemorating late Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, a Vietnam War commander.
  • The base was previously named after Confederate Brigadier Gen. Henry L. Benning, who was also an outspoken anti-Lincoln secessionist when he sat on the state Supreme Court.

I'm fine with this....By all accounts Hal Moore was a hell of a man.

That said Hal Moore was a white Catholic heterosexual cis-male who perpetuated the patriarchy by keeping his wife home with the children....That doesn't sound like a very diverse, equitable or inclusive person to name a base after. ;)

• The Army has renamed Georgia's Fort Benning to Fort Moore, commemorating late Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, a Vietnam War commander.
  • The base was previously named after Confederate Brigadier Gen. Henry L. Benning, who was also an outspoken anti-Lincoln secessionist when he sat on the state Supreme Court.

That said Hal Moore was a white Catholic heterosexual cis-male who perpetuated the patriarchy by keeping his wife home with the children....That doesn't sound like a very diverse, equitable or inclusive person to name a base after. ;)
That is a diverse social position also.

the name changes are going to cost a fortune...estimates of over a million to change ft bragg to ft liberty
Given Braxton Bragg was hated by pretty much everyone but Jefferson Davis I always thought naming the Fort after him was a insult to the South.

Was a name change really necessary? Democrats are always changing names and words. :talk2hand:

Judging by the movie it seems that Col Moore showed exceptional leadership against overwhelming odds in a conflict where there was little leadership in almost ten years. He gets my vote by attrition.

1984.jpg

I happened to be with Moore at the battle of LZ X-Ray and I can say from what I know of his actions that he is the very last person on earth to have an Army fort named after him.
'Nuff said.

P.S: The movie was a typical Hollywood schtick.

Unlike Hossfly I never knew Col Moore. However, I have read quite a bit about him over the years and I strongly suspect he would not want to part of a despicable woke campaign by the Potatohead administration.

Unlike Hossfly I never knew Col Moore. However, I have read quite a bit about him over the years and I strongly suspect he would not want to part of a despicable woke campaign by the Potatohead administration.

I think his family are very pleased to have a major Army Fort named after him

Probably he wouldn't approve of the Biden Criminal Mafia but he was a die hard Democrat as was Joe "Hangover" Galloway. Joe and I had a falling out one time at the VN Wall over his fanatical liberal position. I lived near Joe in Charlotte and luckily we made up just before the devil took them both.

They are renaming 9 Bases:

Bases slated for renaming:

• Fort Benning, Georgia — Fort Moore, after Army Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and his wife, Julia Compton Moore. Hal Moore received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War. Julia Moore was an advocate for military families.
  • Fort Bragg, North Carolina — Fort Liberty.
  • Fort Gordon, Georgia — Fort Eisenhower, after President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was also a five-star Army general and served as the Supreme Allied Commander of forces in Europe during World War II.
  • Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia — Fort Walker after Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, the first female surgeon in the Civil War, and the only woman awarded the Medal of Honor.
  • Fort Hood, Texas — Fort Cavazos, after Army Gen. Richard E. Cavazos, who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War.
  • Fort Lee, Virginia — Fort Gregg-Adams, after Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams. Gregg was a key figure in the integration of black soldiers into the Army. Adams was one of the highest-ranking female soldiers in World War II.
  • Fort Pickett, Virginia — Fort Barfoot, after Army Tech Sgt. Van T. Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his actions with the 45th Infantry Division during World War II in Italy in 1944.
  • Fort Polk, Louisiana — Fort Johnson, after Army Sgt. William Henry Johnson, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for action in the Argonne Forest of France during World War I.
  • Fort Rucker, Alabama — Fort Novosel, after Army Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael J. Novosel, an aviator who received the Medal of Honor for a medevac mission under fire in Vietnam where he saved 29 soldiers.

They are renaming 9 Bases:

Bases slated for renaming:

• Fort Benning, Georgia — Fort Moore, after Army Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and his wife, Julia Compton Moore. Hal Moore received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War. Julia Moore was an advocate for military families.
  • Fort Bragg, North Carolina — Fort Liberty.
  • Fort Gordon, Georgia — Fort Eisenhower, after President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was also a five-star Army general and served as the Supreme Allied Commander of forces in Europe during World War II.
  • Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia — Fort Walker after Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, the first female surgeon in the Civil War, and the only woman awarded the Medal of Honor.
  • Fort Hood, Texas — Fort Cavazos, after Army Gen. Richard E. Cavazos, who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War.
  • Fort Lee, Virginia — Fort Gregg-Adams, after Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams. Gregg was a key figure in the integration of black soldiers into the Army. Adams was one of the highest-ranking female soldiers in World War II.
  • Fort Pickett, Virginia — Fort Barfoot, after Army Tech Sgt. Van T. Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his actions with the 45th Infantry Division during World War II in Italy in 1944.
  • Fort Polk, Louisiana — Fort Johnson, after Army Sgt. William Henry Johnson, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for action in the Argonne Forest of France during World War I.
  • Fort Rucker, Alabama — Fort Novosel, after Army Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael J. Novosel, an aviator who received the Medal of Honor for a medevac mission under fire in Vietnam where he saved 29 soldiers.
All of them except Fort Liberty sound just fine. Should have renamed it Fort Thomas, after one of the several Union generals that stomped Bragg like a bad habit.

No disrespect intended for DSC awards but there were 235 Medal of Honor recipients during Vietnam alone. Don't they get a shot at being named for a military base? Picket, Polk and Rucker get MOH changes but WTF about Ft. Lee and A.P. Hill?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back