Army renames Georgia's Fort Benning after decorated Vietnam vet Hal Moore

They are renaming 9 Bases:

Bases slated for renaming:

• Fort Benning, Georgia — Fort Moore, after Army Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and his wife, Julia Compton Moore. Hal Moore received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War. Julia Moore was an advocate for military families.
  • Fort Bragg, North Carolina — Fort Liberty.
  • Fort Gordon, Georgia — Fort Eisenhower, after President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was also a five-star Army general and served as the Supreme Allied Commander of forces in Europe during World War II.
  • Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia — Fort Walker after Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, the first female surgeon in the Civil War, and the only woman awarded the Medal of Honor.
  • Fort Hood, Texas — Fort Cavazos, after Army Gen. Richard E. Cavazos, who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War.
  • Fort Lee, Virginia — Fort Gregg-Adams, after Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams. Gregg was a key figure in the integration of black soldiers into the Army. Adams was one of the highest-ranking female soldiers in World War II.
  • Fort Pickett, Virginia — Fort Barfoot, after Army Tech Sgt. Van T. Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his actions with the 45th Infantry Division during World War II in Italy in 1944.
  • Fort Polk, Louisiana — Fort Johnson, after Army Sgt. William Henry Johnson, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for action in the Argonne Forest of France during World War I.
  • Fort Rucker, Alabama — Fort Novosel, after Army Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael J. Novosel, an aviator who received the Medal of Honor for a medevac mission under fire in Vietnam where he saved 29 soldiers.
I see, only the Southern bases, huh?

They are renaming 9 Bases:

Bases slated for renaming:

• Fort Benning, Georgia — Fort Moore, after Army Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and his wife, Julia Compton Moore. Hal Moore received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War. Julia Moore was an advocate for military families.
  • Fort Bragg, North Carolina — Fort Liberty.
  • Fort Gordon, Georgia — Fort Eisenhower, after President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was also a five-star Army general and served as the Supreme Allied Commander of forces in Europe during World War II.
  • Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia — Fort Walker after Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, the first female surgeon in the Civil War, and the only woman awarded the Medal of Honor.
  • Fort Hood, Texas — Fort Cavazos, after Army Gen. Richard E. Cavazos, who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War.
  • Fort Lee, Virginia — Fort Gregg-Adams, after Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams. Gregg was a key figure in the integration of black soldiers into the Army. Adams was one of the highest-ranking female soldiers in World War II.
  • Fort Pickett, Virginia — Fort Barfoot, after Army Tech Sgt. Van T. Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his actions with the 45th Infantry Division during World War II in Italy in 1944.
  • Fort Polk, Louisiana — Fort Johnson, after Army Sgt. William Henry Johnson, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for action in the Argonne Forest of France during World War I.
  • Fort Rucker, Alabama — Fort Novosel, after Army Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael J. Novosel, an aviator who received the Medal of Honor for a medevac mission under fire in Vietnam where he saved 29 soldiers.
I see, only the Southern bases, huh?

I always thought naming the Fort after him was a insult to the South.

Like all these others, it started life as a North Carolina National Guard training base for WWI. And after WWI ended it was closed and the area primarily used by the NC National Guard for training. But after several years of being closed it was reactivated and changed from Camp Bragg to Fort Bragg.

But it followed all of the rules of the time of naming National Guard camps after a soldier who was famous in the state it is located in. It was only years later that it became a fort and retained the name.

In that it is not unlike the triad in California of Fort Hunter Liggett, Camp Roberts, and Camp Parks. All are now bases for the Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard. Camp Parks was originally a Navy Base, then an Air Force Base before it is turned over to the Army. Which is why an Army Reserve post is named after a Navy Admiral. Camp Roberts is a California National Guard post, and named after a National Guardsman from California who died in WWI. Hunter Liggett was an Army Camp named after a General who served from the Indian Wars to WWI where he was a Corps Commander.

But all of the names still hold their original name, even though the Navy left Camp Parks at the end of WWII. It still retained the name as Parks Air Force Base from 1951 to 1959 until it was transferred to the Army.

But the naming was primarily done by the state of North Carolina itself, like that of all National Guard bases.

Yup. I guess it was an olive branch to the southern states to name bases after their generals.

Not at all.

Those were originally built as National Guard bases. And at that time the naming of such was at the discretion of the State itself. It was only years or decades later that they were taken over by the Army.

And there are others in that state. Camp Butner was named after General Henry Butner, a General who served in WWI and died in 1937.

However, if for some reason the Army had decided to activate Camp Butner as a new permanent fort instead of Camp Bragg, there would be no argument over Fort Butner.

Last edited:
After the civil war was ended. All of the Confederate generals.swore an oath of loyalty to the United States and their citizenship was reinstated.
So in reality, the Forts named after former confederates are actually honoring American citizens.

The Army relied on Hollywood. No surprises here. Lucky the fat asses in the Pentagon didn't name the institution after Mel Gibson.

After the civil war was ended. All of the Confederate generals.swore an oath of loyalty to the United States and their citizenship was reinstated.
So in reality, the Forts named after former confederates are actually honoring American citizens.

In 1917-1918 the military, especially the Army, had problems in recruiting men from Southern states. This was 52 years after the Civil War and there was still tension between the North and the South. In order to placate the south, the Army notified the Southern states they would name Southern forts after Southern Generals. The Army considered southern men to be the best marksmen and used to a tough outdoor life.

Southern men then started enlisting in great numbers and the Army considered the addition of Southerners to have a major affect in winning WWl and WWll. I am providing to a link that modern Generals and historians give their opinions and they are only partly right. My opinion is that after winning two World Wars, the U.S. has reneged on their initial promises and besmirched their honor. Fuck Milley and George Floyd.

This is Hossfly's opinion.

In 1917-1918 the military, especially the Army, had problems in recruiting men from Southern states. This was 52 years after the Civil War and there was still tension between the North and the South. In order to placate the south, the Army notified the Southern states they would name Southern forts after Southern Generals. The Army considered southern men to be the best marksmen and used to a tough outdoor life.

Southern men then started enlisting in great numbers and the Army considered the addition of Southerners to have a major affect in winning WWl and WWll. I am providing to a link that modern Generals and historians give their opinions and they are only partly right. My opinion is that after winning two World Wars, the U.S. has reneged on their initial promises and besmirched their honor. Fuck Milley and George Floyd.

This is Hossfly's opinion.

The normalization of relations between the N&S actually started in the Spanish-American war with volunteer units from N&S training together abet on a much smaller scale than in WW-1. Back then there was still state militias.

Gen. Joe Wheeler, by his example, convinced a lot of Southern States to send volunteer units made-up of state militia, the national guard of the era.

In my AO there was camp Harries/Alger

Camp Alger, Dunn Loring, VA (See Camp Harries)

•​
Named after Russell A. Alger, Secretary of War
•​
Camp Alger was the initial camp of the Second Corps. The camp was established May 18, 1898 and abandoned by late September, 1898 as the troops moved to Camp Meade. The camp was formally named on May 23, 1898.
•​
This camp was located west of Falls Church, VA and southeast and southwest of Dunn Loring, VA. There is a historical marker on the south side of Highway 50, just east of where 50 intersects U.S. 495, between Fairmount and Fenwick Streets. The marker is just south of the site of Camp Harries, the predecessor to Camp Alger.

Most camps in Virginia were around Richmond and Newport News.....Most were very short-lived.

They've renamed Ft Polk as well, now called Ft Johnson

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Is there an effort by the radicals to erase history by renaming historical markers? It wouldn't surprise me.

Forum List

Back