Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Thanks, Sunshine.

Finally got around to doing a butterfly with similar colors to the package.

The first scan is the work I did today, and its package is the second scan. I just ordered another package yesterday or the day before to do on the machine. For that reason, the back of #5 is scan 3:

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 5.1.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 5.1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 13
  • $! Butterfly quilt package.jpg
    $! Butterfly quilt package.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 17
  • $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 5.1 back.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 5.1 back.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Backs of blocks 1, 2, and 3:

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 1 back.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 1 back.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 12
  • $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 2 back.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 2 back.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 17
  • $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3 back.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3 back.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 13
Back of block 4, the Sunshine yellow butterfly. And a couple of inspirational butterflies that would make good projects.

Scan 2 is a Green-banded butterfly

Scan 3 is a Comet Moth

Attachments

• $Green-Banded Swallowtail, Papilio palinurus.jpg
    $Green-Banded Swallowtail, Papilio palinurus.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 13
  • $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.3.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
  • $Argema mittrei, Comet Moth3.jpg
    $Argema mittrei, Comet Moth3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
Backs of blocks 1, 2, and 3:

Beautiful Becki! [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION] My wife is knitting ruffled scarves. Takes her about 4 hours to knit one. She knitted some last year and wore them to work and church. Of course all the ladies demanded she make them one. They gladly pay $35 a piece. They are beautiful. The one she is knitting now is black and silver with silver sequins. I will post a picture when she is finished. Have you ever knitted any of them?

Thanks, Sunshine.

The first scan is the work I did today, and its package is the second scan. I just ordered another package yesterday or the day before to do on the machine. For that reason, the back of #5 is scan 3:

Great colors. Really lovely blocks.

Thanks, Sunshine.

Great colors. Really lovely blocks.
Thanks, Sunshine. The second package of butterflies arrived today, so I ordered some appropriate stabilizer to do them with machine embroidery. I found 50 years of 10" stabilizer, which should do all the quilt for children stamped cloths I bought about a month ago. Some will take longer since I will have to adjust my machine to do an identically sized cross stitch, which means I'll have to fish out one of my old Pfaff sewing machines and go for the gold! :lol: I'm still recuperating from yesterday's finger-jab-fest. I did find an armful of red and light 1.5" strips out in a bin in the garage that were cut prior to leaving Wyoming. We had 300 bolts of reds in our store's color wheel, and maybe more, not counting fabrics with red touches here and there.

Oh, and I got the nicest note from the Charity Bees chairwoman today. She said the every one of the tops got oohs and ahs from everyone at the Tall Pines meeting, where they take them to show what Charity Bees are doing. I sure hope they get some volunteers to quilt them. I put my heart and soul into them, but not for praise, they were for the Lord who has enough troubles with the way humans treat each other, me being no exception. I really chewed out the repairman who borrowed my husband's chain saw, then when I reported him to the Sheriff, he said there was a long rap sheet, and they verified that my chain saw had been put in a pawn shop by the same fella. It went something like "Get away from my family and get out of my sight!" :redface: I'll never see the chain saw again. I told him never to set foot on our place again. :cool:

*sigh* When he was not afflicted with dementia, he had a way of making people want to do the right thing around him, and he never said a harsh word to anybody. He'd make requests and people would do anything for him. OK He's handsome as God. That's in his corner. But now, he has trouble talking, and I have to check his underwear before he leaves the house to make sure he hasn't had an accident. I'd die if someone asked him to leave their establishment on account of his dementia and associated problems.

I miss my husband, and he's right here. Oh, well, we'll cross tomorrow's bridges tomorrow, not today. :)

I'd love to do a couple of flowers on the purple butterfly, but I'm 2 days away from having skin regrow over the jabbed areas on a couple of fingers. Oh, I can't wait till the machine embroidery backing gets here and I can do 3 or 4 blocks in a day instead of one in 3 days. Guess I better double up on the vitamin D. I had foot cramps today. That usually tells me the Vitamin D3 should be taken and not avoided. I also forgot extra B6 and B12. Those are supposed to be helpful to some of my plethora of fibromyalgia's friends welcomed into my body without my permission. :evil:

I'm hitting the sack. I did a ton of bedding today. My poor sweetie keeps having accidents doing the same thing all the time, namely forgetting his changing schedules. I have to spend more time with him, but this morning, I had to give the cat a bath. He's pure white, but he wasn't before he went into the tub. His room got an airing too. He decided he was a barn cat when we moved here. So he has to stay outside in the sun room. My husband was taking care of him, but now, I have to do it. One good thing my husband did today though, was finish up the front lawn. The new mower got busted tires because the repairman who demolished the old fence and didn't clean it up left boards with nails in them sticking up everywhere. We spent a week trying to pick them up, but were unsuccessful in moving piles. I got tired of chasing my husband back who'd migrate toward the house the minute I got busy doing something. He just doesn't want to do much. It's really appreciated when he does, though. Him finishing the front lawn today by putting air in the tractor tire and finishing up was wonderful. And he did it in the time it took me to walk out to the mailbox and find the second butterfly stamped set in there. :woohoo:

Vitamin D, here I come!

Y'all have a great evening. <hugs>

Do you ladies Pinterest? I think I'm going to start a board for beautiful embroidery, and beautiful quilts.

I typed "beautiful embroidery" in the search, and this is the first one I liked. Of course, green is my favorite color.

Attachments

• $greenemb.jpg
    $greenemb.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
Yep. That's beautiful all right, BDB. Thanks for sharing! :)

And for my penance of clumsily jabbing my little fingers, those strips I found yesterday cut prior to 4 years ago? I'm going to make a little red quilt from them since it's at least 2 days till I will pick up the butterflies again. Here's the start: (I painted in the red around the outsides to reduce the glare of white background in big areas) I'm a couple of centers short of a 20-block quilt and 5 or 6 short of a 24-block quilt, so will also try and sew 5 or 6 more centers before going too much further. This one will be an eye full of red:

Attachments

• $red log prism top.jpg
    $red log prism top.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13
My BIL is now in a nursing home. I'm thinking I may make him a cathedral windows lap rug. What size should I make it? I'm not sure what size they generally are. I remember my grandmother at age 95 crocheting lap rugs for the people in the nursing home where she lived. LOL. But I don't recall what size they were.

I have dug out my embroidery basket...I am hopeful that I will get something done today. I'm getting closer to christmas and need to generate some stuff.

I hope everybody is doing well. I've been battling some sort of bug for roughly a month now...I'll feel better, then I'll have a bad day..it floats between my head and my lungs primarily. Get your flu shots asap.

My BIL is now in a nursing home. I'm thinking I may make him a cathedral windows lap rug. What size should I make it? I'm not sure what size they generally are. I remember my grandmother at age 95 crocheting lap rugs for the people in the nursing home where she lived. LOL. But I don't recall what size they were.

Bout 4x3 sounds right.

Unless he's a man mountain, 48x72", and if in a wheelchair, 44x64". Give or take a couple of inches. It helps to take a soft tape measure. If his hands and feet are perpetually cold, 6" bigger both ways. When people get into nursing care, the lack of exercise wreaks havoc on the body's thermometer. If he is a chilblain, put an extra single layer of white flannel beneath the colored small squares that give the quilt its jeweled effect. Also, contact a nursing assistant who gives him care most often and ask if he has cold hands or not when he is helped up and down. Men just don't tell you what's going on sometimes. But their caregivers will know. You're an angel, Sunshine.

I have dug out my embroidery basket...I am hopeful that I will get something done today. I'm getting closer to christmas and need to generate some stuff.

I hope everybody is doing well. I've been battling some sort of bug for roughly a month now...I'll feel better, then I'll have a bad day..it floats between my head and my lungs primarily. Get your flu shots asap.
Prayers up, koshergrl. Hope you're drinking plenty of citrus beverages if you can tolerate them. :huddle:

Unless he's a man mountain, 48x72", and if in a wheelchair, 44x64". Give or take a couple of inches. It helps to take a soft tape measure. If his hands and feet are perpetually cold, 6" bigger both ways. When people get into nursing care, the lack of exercise wreaks havoc on the body's thermometer. If he is a chilblain, put an extra single layer of white flannel beneath the colored small squares that give the quilt its jeweled effect. Also, contact a nursing assistant who gives him care most often and ask if he has cold hands or not when he is helped up and down. Men just don't tell you what's going on sometimes. But their caregivers will know. You're an angel, Sunshine.

Thanks.

Oh, yep. Almost forgot why I came here--to show evidence that I am doing penance for jabbing fingers by filling in healing days for sore fingers with simple but hopefully cheerful projects--like finishing row 1 on the little squares I started the other day (I finally got 20 started blocks going & finished the four below):

The other 16 squares now measure 5.5" each. The pictured ones may be close to measuring 9.5".

Well, back to my sewing digs.

Everybody have a happy day & hug somebody who needs one. :)

:huddle:

Attachments

• $red log prism top row1.1.jpg
    $red log prism top row1.1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 16
  • $red log prism top row1.2.jpg
    $red log prism top row1.2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 15
  • $red log prism top row1.3.jpg
    $red log prism top row1.3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 15

Forum List