Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

The back of the quilt square I quilted this morning is thumbnail, beneath the front. At USMB, you can click the thumbnail and it appears in another window which just opens on my computer:

EbayPurchEmbSquare32quilted_zpsd8db4b87.jpg

Attachments

• $Ebay Purch Emb Square 3.2 quilting.jpg
    $Ebay Purch Emb Square 3.2 quilting.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
Goodness, I got bumped off here right in the middle of a post, and scanning the page, saw some Chinese lettering everywhere. I'll try again, although starting over a long post sucks! LOL! :)

Will explain later, got a set of 18 embroidered blocks on ebay auction, 3 to the inch stitches :eek: etc., but great to practice on for when the butterfly quilt is done. Here's a fraction of what arrived and my attempt to quilt a block with children on it, including the back, if it will only show up now. I don't know what went wrong, but had to clean scan my computer just now. I guess I'll show thumbnails. The picture from photobucket may have been just too much.

Note one of the unfinished blocks has a YELLOW BUTTERFLY!!!
icon10.gif

Finally! Managed attachments is working again.

I get that Chinese lettering on the ads, but I haven't been kicked off. (Except officially, that is.) I have reported it to staff. But no response. I'm thinking there may be a virus on here. You should report it.

Thanks, Sunshine. I just ran my shredder, turned the computer off, embroidered awhile, ran a cleaning scan, off, on, back.

Didn't get much embroider done, but got a little bit done on one lower wing of the pink...

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3.2.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3.2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 15
Today, I was marking the bluebirds and yellow butterfly ebay quilt square with a circle around the picture, and trying to organize the new "used" threads found on ebay. Then my sweetie got a yen to go for a drive to Brennan, Texas, late in the morning, so out the window went my plans, but I packed the pink butterfly square to embroider in the car. The parts of the road that weren't under construction were so bumpy, I couldn't even crochet, much less embroider! I had to put it all away. On the way to Brennan, we stopped and ate at a mom n pop combo saddle shop/eatery for ranchers in Shilo. It was late for lunch, but they had the cutest little 8-week old dog. I'd never heard of the breed, but she said he was a "hanging tree dog," He had a great little personality and was teething and full of play. He especially liked me pulling a piece of turkey meat and provolone off the sandwich and giving him a little taste, and relished the little puddle of milk I poured onto my Styrofoam plate after clearing it with a redneck napkin. (on a roll) Baby dogs are so cute.

Then we turned at Roan's Prairie and drove all the way to Navasota where I said "There's an antique store let's see what I can get there instead of on ebay." Wow. I found a real silver thimble for $5 and two books chocked full of crocheted bazaar gifts to make for people's kitchens and homes. So maybe the next cold spell, I can whip up some goodies for the girls to sell at their fall bazaar. This year, my contribution was nothing but quilt tops, and very little was finished.

So there was another day, no progress on the pink butterfly. I had to drive home, although I have to say, my sweetie may not know exactly who he used to be, but he's a better driver than me!

Well, I'm tired and need a little nap. I'd like to attack the pink butterfly square and finish it and the other quilt square, too. We drove back from the little gift store in Navasota, no longer interested in continuing on another long stretch to Brennan and took Highway 6 up to Bryan instead, where I found more embroidery needles at a quilt store. I saw some John James embroidery needles and they interested me because the needles are finer, shorter, and had gold eyes. They were all priced the same--$3.99 a package, plus I found another bluebonnet print in darker blue that will be perfect for the backs of the sashing I will do between the children blocks. I won the ABC Children blocks on ebay today, my gosh, I'm getting to be like a gambler over there! I need to quilt buying stuff. The bad deal about the ABC blocks is that all 26 blocks will have to go into the same quilt, so I can't get 3 quilts out of the deal at all. The other bad deal is I spent too much money, which will be about $3 per square when postage is added, which beats sewing all day and all day tomorrow doing 1 square the way I work. The good deal, is the blocks were well-pictured, and a reasonable job was done on the embroidery. I hope they are as beautiful as they looked in their pictures as far as workmanship is concerned. The animal/child's quilt I got was 3 to the inch, not a really secure stitch for a quilt, but if well-quilted, I am hoping the integrity of the quilt will be high. Time will surely tell.

Pardon my yakkety yak post, I tend to do that when tired. Love to all, have a great evening if I just crater till the morning, but that's the first long trip we've taken in months, and my first time out of the house in at least a week. I am feeling better and am grateful to everyone for their prayers for my fibromyalgia's remission. They're working.

:huddle:

Let's hope a hanging tree dog isn't the north american equivalent of a *pariah* dog..you know, the dogs that eat the corpses out of the river in India....ewwwwwww...

Just kidding, all dogs are awesomeness. My klauster has really been a love bug lately...

Hanging tree cowdogs are what we just used to call *dingos* or *heelers*...kind of a generic cow dog...tough and with strong instinct to herd and the ability to bite if they need to. They now have all these custom breeds and names, but they're all cow dogs. You get different *types* in different areas, then they become popular and everybody has them...

Cowdogs are just great working dogs. I had a couple of nice cowdogs growing up..well one ended up actually being a real working sheep dog, the last time my mom saw him he was running along the backs of a herd of sheep, going down the road, happy as a clam doing his thing. We also had a heeler/coyote mix that was a really nice dog. And an Australian shepherd/sheltie who was so beautiful...

Last edited:
Hanging tree cowdogs are what we just used to call *dingos* or *heelers*...kind of a generic cow dog...tough and with strong instinct to herd and the ability to bite if they need to. They now have all these custom breeds and names, but they're all cow dogs. You get different *types* in different areas, then they become popular and everybody has them...

Cowdogs are just great working dogs. I had a couple of nice cowdogs growing up..well one ended up actually being a real working sheep dog, the last time my mom saw him he was running along the backs of a herd of sheep, going down the road, happy as a clam doing his thing. We also had a heeler/coyote mix that was a really nice dog. And an Australian shepherd/sheltie who was so beautiful...
This one had to be a "hanging tree cowdog," because the shop in which he was taming humans by melting hearts with his cute little antics was also a tack/saddle/outfitters shop with a couple of tables in the back for the sandwich shop part. The entertainment was just as good as the food, and there was no fee for petting and fussing over the cute puppy. :D

Beckums, what is this pattern called? I had a purple pillow for my purple room that my grandmother made when I was a teenager. I never knew what this was called, nor how to do it.

Beckums, what is this pattern called? I had a purple pillow for my purple room that my grandmother made when I was a teenager. I never knew what this was called, nor how to do it.

It's a summer throw known to quilters as "Cathedral Windows," and it is never quilted due to uneven depths; Cathedral Windows takes forever to work by hand, but it is prized nonetheless for its beauty and affinity for showing off one's skill if using the tailor's blind stitch.

Quilting is an amalgam of hundreds of crafts, each of which can be varied to make yet more interesting articles for the bedrooms, walls, and tables of our American heritage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pink and yellow butterfly is done. At last!

Scan 1 Dryocampa Rosy Maple moth example

Scan 2 The finished block

Scan 3 A Yellow butterfly of comfort--the Cloudless sulphur Phoebis sennae

And another cloudless sulphur, Phoebis sennae:

th

Attachments

• $$ Dryocampa Rosy Maple Moth.jpg
    $$ Dryocampa Rosy Maple Moth.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 16
  • $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3.5.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 3.5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
  • $Sulphur aka Cloudless sulfur butterfly.jpg
    $Sulphur aka Cloudless sulfur butterfly.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

It's a summer throw known to quilters as "Cathedral Windows," and it is never quilted due to uneven depths; Cathedral Windows takes forever to work by hand, but it is prized nonetheless for its beauty and affinity for showing off one's skill if using the tailor's blind stitch.

Quilting is an amalgam of hundreds of crafts, each of which can be varied to make yet more interesting articles for the bedrooms, walls, and tables of our American heritage.

[ame=http://youtu.be/R7XnwJyaBlw]Cathedral Quilt - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks. I just never knew what it was called. It gets quilted as you go along. That's kinda neat.

Last edited:
Did a lot of details... The last one, I did all the flowers first. This one, they'll have to just be last. *sigh*

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.1.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 20
Burned a little midnight oil in hopes Sunshine will see her spiritual contribution to this quilt. Thanks for the inspiration, Sunshine. I'll have to do the flowers later, but I just could hardly wait to get the pink one done so I could do a yellow butterfly. It felt so comforting to do it, too. Tomorrow: flowers that will be right for this butterfly (I hope)!

Sweet dreams, everyone. :)'

"Cloudless Sulphur"

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.2.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 22

That is so beautiful, and definitely one of my favorites.

Well, the four flowers are done. Then, I noticed the package with a certain yellow tone was missing--the tone I'm half way around on the yellow butterfly, so I decided since I was getting nowhere, to wait until tomorrow and see if I can't do a better job of finding things when I'm fresh and the sun is shining. I love the yellow butterfly to honor Sunshine and her sister and her sharing of that special snippet about it symbolizing peace in heaven of a loved one who passed. :)

And I'm truly beginning to appreciate the speed and beauty of @koshergrl's beautiful embroidered items that she and the young women in the family worked on this past summer. And the swans were beautiful. I hope they are left white if removal hasn't already occurred. If an obvious distinction is desired, an echo row of palest blue or palest grey might serve that purpose, and no removal of stitches would be required. Just sayin'. Actually, they're a master work just as they are. Why experiment on something that already looks perfect?

The butterflies are eating up days, and the 4th is near completion. That little envelope with the certain sunshine yellow has to be somewhere around here. I hope Miss Music didn't do as Sunshine's cat does, smelled a hint of my fingerjabbing droplets on the package, and took it somewhere. I set out a clean quilt and folded in fours for softness for her bed, and what does she do? She grabs dirty clothes out of the bin and nests in them and gives the folded quilt the heave ho. .....Lil twit.

A portion of a little poem I wrote in or around the years between 1987 - 1995:

May peace walk before you
May heaven adore you
May all kindness warm you
May no evil harm you

May good health be given you
May justice live in you
So sat.an shall fear you
When you keep God near you. :eusa_angel:

Love,

becki

Last edited:
thanks Becki, I'm thinking the same thing on the swans...I think i probably will satin stitch them, just for fun....

j.u.s.t.....f.o.r.....f.u.n.....

While clumsy becki sits here and stabs her fingers to death, hoping she can find her sewing machine software that does wonderful things.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last couple of weeks have been a wakeup call for this machine embroiderer... but I'm determined to finish it to set in my wee little mind how blessed I am to have good sewing and embroidery machines and know how to use them.

I kid you not, the finger jabber stuff seems to be accompanying a feel-good time for fibromyalgia garbage that charge pain chemicals in the muscle-to-nerve connections as a body pandemic.

Acupuncture? :D

Last edited:

That is so beautiful, and definitely one of my favorites.

It doesn't look difficult and since it doesn't require setting up a quilting frame, I may do one if I live long enough!

It was finished by hook or by crook--I went ahead and just used the closest color to the 926 yellow, which was color #743 or something. You may be able to see the near-half of the yellow border if you are extremely sensitive to coloration, and if my little copier didn't blend the two shades (it often does).

Cloudless Sulphur butterfly coloration on Jack Dempsy butterfly stamped design:

Attachments

• $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.3.jpg
    $Butterfly Embroidery quilt Block 4.3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 24
It was finished by hook or by crook--I went ahead and just used the closest color to the 926 yellow, which was color #743 or something. You may be able to see the near-half of the yellow border if you are extremely sensitive to coloration, and if my little copier didn't blend the two shades (it often does).

Cloudless Sulphur butterfly coloration on Jack Dempsy butterfly stamped design:

That's really lovely.

Forum List

Back