Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I ended up weaving a couple of strands of yarn all around the hat, and gathered it a big and tied a bow in the back (inside). The flower is made, just have to attach it with a button...it resembles nothing so much as a 17th century mob cap, lol. I took some pics but haven't uploaded them yet. I'm working on a scarf to go with it now.

Today's work included talking to a nursing home recommended by a sister and a nursing care provider, making a doctor's appointment for tomorrow at the crack of dawn to talk about dementia issues that could cause serious sanitation and car accident issues, and how to approach it, to call attorneys who specialize in being able to pay for private care, etc., until I can get more advice on my dear sweetie's care, which I can likely no longer give, much to my sorrow. I don't look forward to the empty house, but I hope to take an active role in his future by giving him 2 or 3 outings a week, once his regular routine is established, if that is the decision the doctor and her fellows come up with. I will be there to remind her that how we came to look into his neurological problems started with him falling asleep at the wheel in 5 lanes of traffic each way from Hobby International Airport to Conroe, but me being quick to grab the wheel, wake him up and order him to the side of the road, carefully, without an accident, 2 years ago. We've battled the disease and each other, but the disease seems to be winning for now. If the doctor has an alternative plan, I'm going to be all ears. I really don't like the idea of being on 14 acres by myself. Tuesday, my sweetie shelled out $5800 to road gravellers for the second time this year, and they did the worst job of the 3 people he's paid to do the same job of ending our muddy road headache. I've decided it's a scam, because no matter what they do, the grass is more healthy in the road center than it was before the last scammer was about. *sigh* Since these people did it two hours before a drenching rain, the holes are back on steroids in the same places they were before. I've haddit with long driveway repairs, completed in 2 hours for thousands. I have to stop him from controlling the checkbook, because he can't say no to crooks. I can.

Oh yes, and the embroidery on the other side got flowers placed :) Plus, I researched hand embroidered ideas for the border, didn't like any of them, so may do my on free embroidered leaf border. I have enough color to knock the eyes out on the two sides, and some plain greenery may work wonders! :)

Hope everyone has a great evening and dynamite day tomorrow. Prayers up for those who need them.

Love,

becki

Last edited:
God bless you both, Becki. New and uncharted territory I'm sure, but it sounds like you're getting some support!

Today I was at the doc's (yay me, my Christmas this year is comprised of various and assorted medications lolol...) but then I had an hour so I used it to zip over to the store and pick up the kids' presents....a kindle fire and a Nintendo DDS, and a couple of accessories.

Now I just get the granddaughter's gifties and I'm pretty much good to go!

Today's work included talking to a nursing home recommended by a sister and a nursing care provider, making a doctor's appointment for tomorrow at the crack of dawn to talk about dementia issues that could cause serious sanitation and car accident issues, and how to approach it, to call attorneys who specialize in being able to pay for private care, etc., until I can get more advice on my dear sweetie's care, which I can likely no longer give, much to my sorrow. I don't look forward to the empty house, but I hope to take an active role in his future by giving him 2 or 3 outings a week, once his regular routine is established, if that is the decision the doctor and her fellows come up with. I will be there to remind her that how we came to look into his neurological problems started with him falling asleep at the wheel in 5 lanes of traffic each way from Hobby International Airport to Conroe, but me being quick to grab the wheel, wake him up and order him to the side of the road, carefully, without an accident, 2 years ago. We've battled the disease and each other, but the disease seems to be winning for now. If the doctor has an alternative plan, I'm going to be all ears. I really don't like the idea of being on 14 acres by myself. Tuesday, my sweetie shelled out $5800 to road gravellers for the second time this year, and they did the worst job of the 3 people he's paid to do the same job of ending our muddy road headache. I've decided it's a scam, because no matter what they do, the grass is more healthy in the road center than it was before the last scammer was about. *sigh* Since these people did it two hours before a drenching rain, the holes are back on steroids in the same places they were before. I've haddit with long driveway repairs, completed in 2 hours for thousands. I have to stop him from controlling the checkbook, because he can't say no to crooks. I can.

Oh yes, and the embroidery on the other side got flowers placed :) Plus, I researched hand embroidered ideas for the border, didn't like any of them, so may do my on free embroidered leaf border. I have enough color to knock the eyes out on the two sides, and some plain greenery may work wonders! :)

Hope everyone has a great evening and dynamite day tomorrow. Prayers up for those who need them.

Love,

becki

Glad you aren't waiting until something tragic occurs.

Not very much eventful going on today, except I finished the last flowers and leaves on the upper right had corner of the bluebird square. That was a happy thing after catching up on the laundry for the last week. There was a lot of bedding and had to do quilts on the master bed twice in addition to bedding. <huff, puff, huff puff> On a good note, my sweetie is trying really hard to finish things he starts, he just has trouble remembering the things he's supposed to do while he's doing them. But he really was trying, I could tell. Most of us take initiating what needs to be done for granted. A person with dementia can't do that any more. I love that little flicker of him trying that I see when I see it, though. It's not seen very often, but is appreciated when it comes through, though.

Here's Mr. Bluebird with the upper right hand corner done. A tree branch seems it would be nice, and was wondering if maybe they might like acorns on an oak tree? Guess it's time to pull out the website that discusses bird diet. Now which one was that? Each website seems to contribute a little something you didn't know before about each of our winged friends per specie, and their diets aren't all that competitive except for what's in the bird feeder. The bird feeder! Oh, my goodness. Here it is almost Christmas, and I saw that they were empty while I was doing something else. Better put my shoes on and go fill them up for breakfast for the little ones tomorrow! How could I be so forgetful! I was gonna be Ms. Faithful this week and remember our winged friends who eat bugs and slugs and those awful cutworms that are killing the St. Augustine grass, which you can tell by the large brown splotches around. I know they turn into a moth, but why couldn't they like weeds instead of St Augustine grass! :crybaby:

They say if you keep the feeder full the birds will go after the cutworms destroying your lawn. *sigh*

Well, the pattern I drew on was symmetric on a 90 degree upper right corner on the light pencil marks that were made. All that experimenting around with different stitches and colorations and a flaw or two, and not so sure it looks so symmetric due to sundry anomalies, but some of the prettiest cottage gardens are fun because from year to year, different annuals colors are rotated if the designer takes into consideration the beneficence of rotation as augmenting the soil between nitrogen setters and plants that benefit from that the following year.

Pardon my yada yada yadas. :blahblah:

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday. I'm just gonna pray on Christmas day for my beloved husband and his attempt to hang on to reality to please me. And world peace. And health for America's birds, people, and so on.

Love to you and your families, for healing miracles for our wounded soldiers, maybe someone will perfect growing replacement arms and legs for them from their bone marrow or special cells that could replace knee tissue for those with bad knees, a kidney, eardrums, or other parts and organs that got shot up by an IED or whatever. Wouldn't it be lovely if medicine could make them whole again so they could feel strong and able again? Oh, I have a long request list for our dear soldiers, whatever happened to them while they were fighting for America to be safe again.

Yes, It would be good to pray for the troops. I remember my mother once was talking about her friends who came back from WWII and their troubles, and she was fluffing the pillows saying something like "war takes our best men away from us," and I mean to tell you, those pillows took a licking and were never fluffier than they were that day after she took out her anger on her work.

Anger isn't always a bad thing. She knew where to put it, too.

becki

Attachments

• $Upper right corner of bluebird quilt square.jpg
    $Upper right corner of bluebird quilt square.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 74
This is one I just found and thought it lovely for Christmas Eve. :)

attachment.php

It looks kind of like Assissi work, except instead of background in cross stitches, the embroiderer chose a blackwork motif to grace her poinsettia. *sigh*

:)

Attachments

• $! A Poinsettia.jpg
    $! A Poinsettia.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 70
Not very much eventful going on today, except I finished the last flowers and leaves on the upper right had corner of the bluebird square. That was a happy thing after catching up on the laundry for the last week. There was a lot of bedding and had to do quilts on the master bed twice in addition to bedding. <huff, puff, huff puff> On a good note, my sweetie is trying really hard to finish things he starts, he just has trouble remembering the things he's supposed to do while he's doing them. But he really was trying, I could tell. Most of us take initiating what needs to be done for granted. A person with dementia can't do that any more. I love that little flicker of him trying that I see when I see it, though. It's not seen very often, but is appreciated when it comes through, though.

Here's Mr. Bluebird with the upper right hand corner done. A tree branch seems it would be nice, and was wondering if maybe they might like acorns on an oak tree? Guess it's time to pull out the website that discusses bird diet. Now which one was that? Each website seems to contribute a little something you didn't know before about each of our winged friends per specie, and their diets aren't all that competitive except for what's in the bird feeder. The bird feeder! Oh, my goodness. Here it is almost Christmas, and I saw that they were empty while I was doing something else. Better put my shoes on and go fill them up for breakfast for the little ones tomorrow! How could I be so forgetful! I was gonna be Ms. Faithful this week and remember our winged friends who eat bugs and slugs and those awful cutworms that are killing the St. Augustine grass, which you can tell by the large brown splotches around. I know they turn into a moth, but why couldn't they like weeds instead of St Augustine grass! :crybaby:

They say if you keep the feeder full the birds will go after the cutworms destroying your lawn. *sigh*

Well, the pattern I drew on was symmetric on a 90 degree upper right corner on the light pencil marks that were made. All that experimenting around with different stitches and colorations and a flaw or two, and not so sure it looks so symmetric due to sundry anomalies, but some of the prettiest cottage gardens are fun because from year to year, different annuals colors are rotated if the designer takes into consideration the beneficence of rotation as augmenting the soil between nitrogen setters and plants that benefit from that the following year.

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday. I'm just gonna pray on Christmas day for my beloved husband and his attempt to hang on to reality to please me. And world peace. And health for America's birds, people, and so on.

Love to you and your families, for healing miracles for our wounded soldiers, maybe someone will perfect growing replacement arms and legs for them from their bone marrow or special cells that could replace knee tissue for those with bad knees, a kidney, eardrums, or other parts and organs that got shot up by an IED or whatever. Wouldn't it be lovely if medicine could make them whole again so they could feel strong and able again? Oh, I have a long request list for our dear soldiers, whatever happened to them while they were fighting for America to be safe again.

Yes, It would be good to pray for the troops. I remember my mother once was talking about her friends who came back from WWII and their troubles, and she was fluffing the pillows saying something like "war takes our best men away from us," and I mean to tell you, those pillows took a licking and were never fluffier than they were that day after she took out her anger on her work.

becki

I spent the first year on this med pump saying, 'I hate this pump, I hate this pump.' Then I thought of my patients with their mechanical limbs. The pump is just my mechanical lungs. So now, I say 'I love this pump, I love this pump.' If they can do it, I can do it.

becki

I spent the first year on this med pump saying, 'I hate this pump, I hate this pump.' Then I thought of my patients with their mechanical limbs. The pump is just my mechanical lungs. So now, I say 'I love this pump, I love this pump.' If they can do it, I can do it.
Thanks for telling us this story about how troops have inspired you to do what you have to do to keep on keeping on. It's so special to me to hear that our troops keep giving back to us their best and their all. Thanks, Sunshine! You just gave meaning to the lives of thousands of American soldiers who suffered the worst and most punitive war to keep America safe from terrorists. :smiliehug:

I'm picking it up again this weekend; had to put it aside to finish a hat/scarf combo that was initially planned for my sister, but ended up going to my dil's sister, who was at our house on Christmas. I was glad to have a gift for her, lol. My sis and I laughed about how we've bought gifts for one person, then ended up gifting them to someone else, we're both terrible lol.

In fact, I talked her into buying a brass horse that I initially planned to give to my mother....but in the end, I gave it to my granddaughter who is (also) horse crazy...BECAUSE I had PLANNED to pick up something at Freddy's after work on Christmas Eve...legos....but when I got there, the store was closed! The only place open was Rite Aid so I got her like 3 super cheap gifts (though they were half off!)...so I gave her the brass horse...which is very cute (just a decoration, not a toy HA tell that to a 6 year old).

She calls it...."My Weapon" HAHAHAHA

And actually, "Weapon" is an awesome name for a horse!

So funny, the brass horse thing came about because my MOTHER had a few brass horses from HER childhood...and I broke them all, playing with them. So the Weapon was going to be a much cheaper replacement of sorts.

Hers looked something like this, only much finer, nicer, and probably older. I remember red *jewels* imbedded here and there:

il_570xN.503270180_beoj.jpg

This one is very similar to...The Weapon:

il_570xN.526693640_e15w.jpg

The Weapons is actually much larger than that...that doesn't look very big, I don't know what sort of book that is, but our horse is as large as most of the hard covers I have in the house...

Not much going on, except I've worked for a couple of days on neutrals, which I'd put off indefinitely before. I didn't have all the colors, but I got enough to start collecting patterns for horses and stuff.

3936-Horses-Embroidery-Designs.JPG
I also found a collection of somebody's roses in an unfinished set that are so different, I'm not sure what to think, except this group may have been handed down.. The pinks are pretty similar, though, but some things about the work is inconsistent--maybe done at different times, but never finished. There were under 20 squares, but only 10 are finished, 2 are in process of being almost finished, and the rest are grossly faded shades of red and blue into the muslin, which isn't all that great a quality, but beggars can't be choosers, and I got it for the price of a couple of yards of muslin, which is less probably the same amount of ruined squares. I'm not sure I want to put all that much work into the leftovers, because the color of the pencils ran, so the worker may have used an office pencil red instead of an embroidery washout pencil, which likely wasn't to be had at the time this quilt top was started. I will say this, though; someone put a lot of work in what is here, so hopefully I can get a couple of charity quilts from their effort, for some little girl who likes pink. :)
One of the finished Ebay rose quilt block "finds" is below. It doesn't show the white areas in the 10- or 11-inch block (didn't measure) but here it is:​

Attachments

• $Roses from Ebay 1.jpg
    $Roses from Ebay 1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
Not much going on, except I've worked for a couple of days on neutrals, which I'd put off indefinitely before. I didn't have all the colors, but I got enough to start collecting patterns for horses and stuff.

I also found a collection of somebody's roses in an unfinished set that are so different, I'm not sure what to think, except this group may have been handed down.. The pinks are pretty similar, though, but some things about the work is inconsistent--maybe done at different times, but never finished. There were under 20 squares, but only 10 are finished, 2 are in process of being almost finished, and the rest are grossly faded shades of red and blue into the muslin, which isn't all that great a quality, but beggars can't be choosers, and I got it for the price of a couple of yards of muslin, which is less probably the same amount of ruined squares. I'm not sure I want to put all that much work into the leftovers, because the color of the pencils ran, so the worker may have used an office pencil red instead of an embroidery washout pencil, which likely wasn't to be had at the time this quilt top was started. I will say this, though; someone put a lot of work in what is here, so hopefully I can get a couple of charity quilts from their effort, for some little girl who likes pink. :)
One of the finished Ebay rose quilt block "finds" is below. It doesn't show the white areas in the 10- or 11-inch block (didn't measure) but here it is:​

My mom made me a pillowcase with those roses and it was wavy at the end and had different shades of green embroidery at the end. I got it for my 8th birthday. My sister thought I was stupid because I thought it was the best present ever.

Last edited:
Two days working on neutrals, they have so many, I found about half of them among the gleanings from my ebay bargain stashes, winding and storing them. I also purchased a few of my favorite browns, but not all. Here goes the so-far of it. I have to wait till next week to make a list and go back to the store to complete this, so I will just go ahead and show it. Some of the threads here are just threads left on nearly-empty spools from some of the collected leftovers left in the boxes, so it will be the neutrals and leftovers box, maybe:

Attachments

• $Neutral1 progress DMC Threads.jpg
    $Neutral1 progress DMC Threads.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 49
[MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION]

I can't send you a thank you - so thank you.

I kept it forever, it was in tatters but I kept it. Unfortunately, when I left my marriage so suddenly, it got left behind. :(

My mom made me a pillowcase with those roses and it was wavy at the end and had different shades of green embroidery at the end. I got it for my 8th birthday. My sister thought I was stupid because I thought it was the best present ever.

Oh, my BDBoop. I have about 6 other sets I found on ebay at low bids. People must not be buying like usual lately to not be paying a hundred dollars per set. I'm getting some of them for the starting bid price, which I only bid on because of working for charity. Someone may have spent the better part of 10 years working an hour here, a half hour there, ten minutes at another time getting them all ready to put in a quilt, then somehow it got away from them by giving it a friend who lacked the enthusiasm to finish. If I can get my brother-in-law to take pictures of the roses when one of the tops is complete, I'll try to bring it here so you can see it. Our mothers bought the same patterns in national magazines, but these were worked in two colors only, which was popular with a lot of cross stitchers in years past, and still is. Some of us are a little nutty, and will actually bring a rose home from the flower shop, and actually turn all the lights off, turn a single lamp on to see what one-source light shading would require, or do two or even more light sources to get a more dispersive or do-able color agreement with what shades of pink we have or shades of rose-leaf green if we see something we like under lights with different sources of number, kind, and intensity. That's a lot of work, but we do it to get things right if we feel challenged to do it. At this point, the one pink and the one green idea, and heck, throw in another pink if ya run out of thread. :lol:

Forum List

Back