Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

It looks like a caterpillar! And I figured out why mine look like seeds! Doh! I sewed the circles upside-down, putting the covered threads beneath the little circlets that appear like miniature brown sunflower seeds. :lol:

casalguidi-stitch-25.jpg

But instead of a fail, I got a sunflower I truly loved, even though it is so miniature. It's serendipity I guess! :)

Oh, and I put the last stitch on the sunflower-centered color wheel lazy dazy corner on the corner of my bird-quilt-to-someday-be-when-I-have-time! The corner took well over 8 hours, though.

Here's Sunflower Color Wheel: (pattern first scan, first trial, second scan)

Did you design that?

It's beautiful!

The flowers on the rest of the sunflower/colorwheel/cornered square were very large, much larger than mine, which were larger than ones I'd done previously, since they were the diameter of a nickel plus the width of a fat pencil mark all the way around. The square actually has a bird as the center of attention, and I truly have no idea what bird exactly it is, thrush? bluebird? sparrow? With no instructions, there's no telling! I looked at mountain bluebirds, though, but the eye will have to be made rounder since that's the decision I made. Unless a true ornithologist comes by here in the next hour or two (or before tomorrow) and recognizes it, it's a bluebird in the meantime. I really would like to know, because there are 12 squares like this one, and I wouldn't mind knowing for sure what it is.

Oh, I saw strawflowers that would have plenty of color layers, so at least the first flower resembles one as it might a chrysanthemum or even a daisy. I have no idea what kind of plant has that little tiny round leaf, but a strawflower leaf is huge and has more separations that a beautiful maple or oak leaf has. That said, well, we're definitely taking some artistic license on this first square. Here's the day's work. I had to do constant supervision to get my husband to vacuum the staircase to remind him to NOT overfeed the dog, who threw up at least 3 meals on it before I went downstairs on that particular staircase, so he needed a certain experience to remind him to NOT feed the dog table scraps.

After looking at thousands of asters, daisies, and strawflowers, I picked one and just happened to have the right colors, well ok, almost the right colors! :)

Also included the corner, which I cleaned up a little in Paint.

Attachments

• $birdy square 1,6 Strawflower.jpg
    $birdy square 1,6 Strawflower.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 22
  • $birdy square 1,4 lazy daisies color wheel.jpg
    $birdy square 1,4 lazy daisies color wheel.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 23
Found a lot of them online. This quilt will have a lot of strawflowers, after really enjoying the one above so much.

st6_zpsa0adf37a.jpg

Attachments

• $strawflowers2.jpg
    $strawflowers2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 20
  • $Strawflowers7.jpg
    $Strawflowers7.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 47
  • $strawflowers1.jpg
    $strawflowers1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 22
Becki, you are amazing.

I have really inspiring teachers, like the one who gave me hints on how to do a simple French knot, which I just couldn't do in under 20 aggravating minutes after 40 years of doing absolutely nothing in hand embroidery. And what inspiring, pretty work you've shared here. Oh, was that good teacher you and Sunshine by sharing good stuff you did? ~~~ Yep!!! :D

One day's progress going slowly... This one shows the birdy too. I noticed online, all the bluebirds and not one of the hundred DMC blues was quite like it, so I went to the store. Put some Bernat Crochet yarn and Sullivan's thread in my little checkout basket, but when I got home, The Bernat perfect match was acrylic. :evil: I thought "yep, one trip under a hot iron, and it's toasty soup, not to mention toxic chemical air in the house from the resin at cotton temperature. :eek:

Thanks, all the same for kind words, koshergrl.

28626d1386366819-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-birdy-quilt1.15.jpg

Attachments

• $birdy quilt1.15.jpg
    $birdy quilt1.15.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Today was my once-a-week day to sleep. That's unfortunately, all that got done, and now, I'm going to bed early. It seems to help me deal with pain from fibro and the odd behaviors of my dear husband who has dementia. Time to say a prayer for peace and this great country of ours. Thanks to koshergrl and Sunshine for dropping by with words of encouragement for me and Mrs. Bloodrock. I'm especially concerned for those worldwide who have trucks like the one in Mexico that got hijacked and had a lethal amount of nuclear product as 8 people were hospitalized and aren't expected to last very long. Nuclear products shouldn't be in transit in war zones, and the drug trafficking business must be one. So, my prayers up for places where there is no peace, places where there is no food for little children and families, and where stealing is the only way to put bread on the table. If our country fails, all those who depend on us will also fail, so I pray for prosperity and plenty for those who are born in this world but end up with no one to care for them due to drug use, mental failings, job losses, and malice toward others for their successes or failures. With God's help, everyone can have a place at the table, and none should be turned away.

Love,

becki

I've got the flu and it is nasty. I went to the doc and she gave me some cough syrup, because I thought I was on the mend...but in the days that have passed since, I have been coughing steady and I'm having difficulty getting my breath. I don't have the energy to do anything at all, it's awful. I'm going to call the doc Monday and tell her I'm getting worse again and see what she says....my ribs are killing me and I gurgle and wheeze!

Hope all is going well with all here...I'm taking some days of rest too...

So proud of Mrs. Blood. They had the Christmas fair at her school today and she sold all 40 scarves she knitted and has orders for 10 more.
Wow, 18 days to Christmas, and it's going to be busy at the Bloodrock home!!! That's wonderful! :)

No problem. She can knit one in 4 hours. She can do it in her sleep.

I've got the flu and it is nasty. I went to the doc and she gave me some cough syrup, because I thought I was on the mend...but in the days that have passed since, I have been coughing steady and I'm having difficulty getting my breath. I don't have the energy to do anything at all, it's awful. I'm going to call the doc Monday and tell her I'm getting worse again and see what she says....my ribs are killing me and I gurgle and wheeze!

Ribs? That almost sounds like pleurisy. You better not skip the doctor's appointment. Get well, please. :huddle:

My embroidery hit the wall today, and it's already bedtime. To make a bad day worse, my sweetie locked the dog inside the car with the keys 13 miles from home in the dark. He called home. I told him to get a cab. Instead, he got someone to let him in the car for a lot less than a round-trip cab fare, too. I told him no more taking the dog when I wasn't there with my set of keys. It's hard sometimes.

Last edited:

No posts today for Ms. koshergrl, I sure hope you got to see your physician
that you are on the best regimen for recuperation and getting lots of rest and plenty of fluids. Wishing koshergrl some chicken soup and wellness:

chicken-soup-bowl.jpg
:huddle:

Well, put lower chin area on and finished wing yesterday... Scan 2 is the lower left corner. This is a 17- or 18-inch square to be made into something for a child or senior in the way of a lap or youth-bed quilt. I have 12 squares. A couple of years back, a series of 12 quilts was done from 12 log cabin star medallion in very small logs for a dozen "hugs" quilts that were most like baby quilts. All my pictures are either on earlier posts here or on my computer that crashed, I am thinking.

Attachments

• $birdy quilt1.16.jpg
    $birdy quilt1.16.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 35
  • $birdy square 1,3 corner plan.jpg
    $birdy square 1,3 corner plan.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
  • $birdy square 1,4 lazy daisies color wheel.jpg
    $birdy square 1,4 lazy daisies color wheel.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 37
I'm still kicking!

My house is a health hazard because I have no energy to do anything, and have spent the majority of the last week or more rolling around in bed.

I did go to the doc, got antibiotics, but still as they say, it's the flu and you just have to wait it out and hope you survive. People think that flu is such a minor deal...but the truth of the matter is, it's freaking deadly and debilitating. I got my flu shot this year, but here I am anyway, with some other strain, and this strain is bad because it compromises the lungs.

They nebulized me and sent me home with an inhaler, which helps a little, not much. I have good days, and bad days, and the cough is eternal. My poor kids have been so good! Here it is the Christmas season and mom can't even clear the table, let alone put up decorations or (*gasp*) cook dinner!!! They've been hanging at the library, and have been very sweet to me.

But the house is scary.

And I haven't accomplished anything.

But I am pretty sure I'm going to survive. Happy Hols, all. I miss Sunshine!

Get well, koshergrl! I love our sunny friend, too, but she told me ahead of time she isn't coming back, then came back, got herself pinked, etc. My concern is she's near death, didn't want to leave anyone mourning her, and left in a way we'd just think she was ...

Band Forever​
[ame=http://youtu.be/a-7XWhyvIpE]John Philip Sousa's March, "The Stars and Stripes Forever" - YouTube[/ame]​
Love to one of the best patriots I have ever known, wherever she may be. She is loved by us. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back