Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

My dil saw that red hat on fb and now I'm making her one...

Except the one I'm making is purple, with a bit of a band, and a decrease at the crown to allow a little more feminine shape....it's still double yarn though, so it is going to be quite imposing and very warm.

I'm using a pattern based on this, but instead of using single-crochet for the crown decrease, I'm just using hdc (half double crochet) the same as the band...so it will more resemble the boys' hats, won't be so properly a "slouchy" like the one in the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylbXCRLUeqo&hd=1]Easy Ribbed Hat Crochet Tutorial - Can be made into a slouch - YouTube[/ame]

Well, the trip to LaGrange TX quilt museum was postponed.

We have some bad people around lately who've been casing the neighborhood, and damage to our roof has suffered from this attention, and rocks disappeared from our road, placed there at a terrible expense. I took the dog out before we were to have left when our detractor was parked in his usual place.

Sometimes, you just have to stay home and mind the store when you live out in the country, and there have been a rash of slimebuckets preying on households with a member who have dementia.

I pray they will leave us alone, but I know where they park when watching our comings and goings. I'm done being their victim. He also takes one area of the fence and bashes it when he comes around. I'm very sick of his doings.

Last edited:
Good lord, file a small claims suit against him, if you know who it is, and you can't get a criminal charge filed.

File a claim against a worker as a small business owner?

Ain't gonna do it. The Sheriff told me what to say when the occasion arises. My detractor fights with words. He will not beat me now that I am informed in specific language what to say and do. The past is over and gone. I learned from my mistakes, and I made a lot of them. Why I'm almost perfect now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love those owls.

I realize now that i will have to start purchasing pillowcases that don't have the deep hem, as I'm looking at the swan cases....my next big pillowcase project will be the antebellum ladies! I believe I have some transfers!!!

il_340x270.277276486.jpg
Only mine will have a crocheted ruffle!

I love those owls.

I realize now that i will have to start purchasing pillowcases that don't have the deep hem, as I'm looking at the swan cases....my next big pillowcase project will be the antebellum ladies! I believe I have some transfers!!!
If you knew how easy it was to make a pillowcase with French seams, you'd never buy another. That's how you can govern the content of the fiber you prefer.

I love cotton. It is the worst nightmare of microorganisms on the planet due to it disintegrates their membranes by removing moisture from their cellular makeup, turning them into dust. It is also boilable, which can rid you of a resistant virus. Very few of them can make it through 170F for a few seconds much less 212F for 5 minutes. :muahaha:

It's also the kindest care for skin due to its removal of microbes from skin areas as well.

And the soap and water you use in the washing machine on hot is quite effective on eliminating residue that would otherwise give rise to molds and mildew to which many people develop allergies.

Oh, my, it's past my bedtime.

May God bring us all to peace and understanding of the principles that made our nation great--love for God's principles, love for people, stewardship over God's gift of this beautiful world, strong families, and happy hearts.

And may God bless America and be ever-present among us.

Thanks, koshergrl. I slept well. My brother came today and set posts for the new gate that he will put in when the posts are set. What a wonderful brother I have. He also fixed the riding mower that got high-centered and would go neither forward nor backward. He located the dislocated band that makes the back wheels function, taking out and replacing the battery to do so. *sigh*

In lieu of winding another two dozen embroidery threads, today, the lure of viewing other people's use of embroideries to do horses was just too strong. HA!!! Well, plenty of horses people had embroidered were found, but a veritable treasure of an idea was also found on etsy, where two young women "up-cycled" old pillowcases to be something truly both lovely and nostalgic for the home, by recycling them into beautiful and colorful tea towels and aprons. Here are just three for starters, and I sorta forgot about the horses, because I was so fascinated by the beautiful crochet that adorned many of them in variegated or white colors in crochet edges I'd never seen before, so please bear with me, and I'll post thumbnails that can and should be perused by double-clicking them and seeing something old and something new turned into something just as gorgeous as they can be!

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 1 tea towel from recycled pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 1 tea towel from recycled pillowcase.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 47
  • $Up-cycle 2 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 2 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 59
  • $Up-cycle 3 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 3 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Group 2 of upcycled items:

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 4 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 4 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 53
  • $Up-cycle 5 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 5 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 62
  • $Up-cycle 6 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 6 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
7, 8, and 9:

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 9 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 9 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 47
  • $Up-cycle 8 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 8 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 50
  • $Up-cycle 7 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 7 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 46
10, 11, and 12:

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 10 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 10 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • $Up-cycle 11 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 11 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 55
  • $Up-cycle 12 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 12 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 46
13, 14, and 15:

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 13 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 13 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
  • $Up-cycle 14 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 14 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56
  • $Up-cycle 15 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 15 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 48
16, 17, and 18:

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 18 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 18 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 51
  • $Up-cycle 17 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 17 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 55
  • $Up-cycle 16 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 16 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 48
The middle one is an apron "upcycled" from an old pillowcase that was hand-embroidered. :)

attachment.php

19, 20, and 21

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 19 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 19 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 53
  • $Up-cycle 20 An apron from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 20 An apron from old pillowcase.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 93
  • $Up-cycle 21 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 21 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
22, 23, and 24

Each of their works was so well done, I just couldn't believe it. Their background fabric choices for the tea towels was totally out of this world. I think I would say their craft borders on the aesthetic. ;)

Attachments

• $Up-cycle 24 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 24 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 43
  • $Up-cycle 23 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 23 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 48
  • $Up-cycle 22 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    $Up-cycle 22 tea towel from old pillowcase.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 53
25, 26, and 27:

Attachments