Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

My folks used to tell us that! And they meant it, lol.

I'm working on an old stamped accent pillow I started a couple of years ago now. I think I'll get it done by the end of the week!
Awwwwl-right!!! :D

I'm procrastinating today. It's raining water that just barely isn't ice. I'm counting down the minutes to warm weather and heading for the closet to get a sweater. All I did was put two more straight-line borders around the outside of the quilt. Sometimes you just hit the wall. I had the cutest little frog fabric that matches the greens in this 48 hours ago. Now, I can't figure out where it was put. It'd be easier than a sawtooth or pyramid border. Well, out of here for the moment. Maybe it will turn up. *sigh*

Last edited:
Orange Blossom and Butterfly Round Robin Quilt-- Finished! :)Scans of a corner and borders at top and side:

Attachments

• $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt Corner Complete.jpg
    $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt Corner Complete.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 48
  • $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt Top Borders.jpg
    $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt Top Borders.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 36
  • $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt X Side.jpg
    $Orange Butterfly and Blossom Quilt X Side.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 44
Flower towel that my 10 year old daughter is working on; she did the last few stitches with too many threads so that will probably come out and be re-done, but she has done a remarkable job. I love towels and pillowcases because they are often quite simple, with only one or two stitches and a couple of colors. I started my first piece at the age of 7; a simple cross-stitch dresser scarf that had a heart pattern; red and black. I don't think I ever finished it! But I learned cross stitch, lazy dazy and outline stitching.

016.jpg

This is the one I worked on a day or so ago; then my nephew's girlfriend picked it up and it's almost finished. She's a needle-pointer:

014.jpg

Haha I did the "saturday" stitching...at Mom's, in dim light, as is apparent.

The Nashville flea market is a good place to run into vintage linens. Occasonally you wil find something that you know was done by a little girl just learning. Those are great. I wish I could do just regular embroidery, but I learned a long time ago that I will just end up frustrated and aggravated at myself!

I started when I was seven...I love embroidery. It's very soothing for me. It is getting harder to see where to stitch, though; I imagine i will use the tools becki put up sooner, rather than later.

Soothng, yes. That's why I do it. It's better t han a valium, and it doesn't make you stupid like valium does. LOL Bifocals are the order of the day for me! LOL

I know that's a dish cloth, but when I look at it I expect to see little sequins in the roses. They are in everything these days. I wonder if anyone is adding them to their embroidery. ??

Last edited:
OK, here's the cross stitch tablecloth I want to do. I'm likely going to order it today. Once done with the quilt I should have this done by Christmass.

5310640000.jpg

OK, here's the cross stitch tablecloth I want to do. I'm likely going to order it today. Once done with the quilt I should have this done by Christmass.

5310640000.jpg
After the quilt that will be cake, Sunshine! :)

I think I found what I'm going to do next with all those brown, gold, and orange strips I've been accumulating from recent quilts that I doublecut strips so as to save time later... A string quilt, "Autumn Equinox," available from a newer book called "String Quilts Today." I found a picture someone had done of the quilt in the book, which I also found online.

The Nashville flea market is a good place to run into vintage linens. Occasonally you wil find something that you know was done by a little girl just learning. Those are great. I wish I could do just regular embroidery, but I learned a long time ago that I will just end up frustrated and aggravated at myself!

I started when I was seven...I love embroidery. It's very soothing for me. It is getting harder to see where to stitch, though; I imagine i will use the tools becki put up sooner, rather than later.

Soothng, yes. That's why I do it. It's better t han a valium, and it doesn't make you stupid like valium does. LOL Bifocals are the order of the day for me! LOL

I know that's a dish cloth, but when I look at it I expect to see little sequins in the roses. They are in everything these days. I wonder if anyone is adding them to their embroidery. ??

There's a lot of beading these days but I haven't run across any information about embroidering with sequins.

But you're right, they are everywhere...most of my daughter's clothes have at least one, and sometimes many, sequins on it.

5310640000.jpg

I think I found what I'm going to do next with all those brown, gold, and orange strips I've been accumulating from recent quilts that I doublecut strips so as to save time later... A string quilt, "Autumn Equinox," available from a newer book called "String Quilts Today." I found a picture someone had done of the quilt in the book, which I also found online.

Wow, that will be sensational!

5310640000.jpg

Wow, that will be sensational!
I worked up a sample for a quilt today, but as a charity quilt, a completion date of sooner than 2 weeks is best--like a couple of days, maybe or even 3 days. lol The sample is only 8" square and uses flannel, which is fine for summer picnic mats, but this could be a child's only blanket, so it should exemplify every warmth for which a January-March cold spell could put out a need.

Such as it is, though it's all that was accomplished today.

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox.jpg
    $Autumn equinox.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 50
OTOH, if you make enough 8" squares, 8"x4 +10 = 40" and 8"x6 +14 = 62," so if you have 4 diagonal blocks across and 6 down with 2" sashes, you will get a quilt of 40x62" before outer border is added, if you decide on one. That's a hugs wrap. :)

So if I make 23 more, that's 24, all that has to be done then is the sashes of a beige or light autumnal print. to get a similar result. I may choose to avoid black and substitute a dark brown in its place to give it more a feeling of autumn. But one or two similar prints in 3 or 4 places in the quilt will add a little diversity and give it its own character, not like any other. Ok. Talked myself into it. Time to go to my little quilt haven and get busy. Hope everyone else has an absolutely stellar day. :)

Well, 4 squares are completed now. Here are the other three:

(and what a slow project this quilt already is.) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 3.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
  • $Autumn equinox 2.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 54
  • $Autumn equinox 1.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 53
These are taking over a half hour apiece. This quilt will take about 24 hours when all is said and done, not to mention the put away time. The sets and sashing are a quilt unto themselves.

scans 5, 6, and 7...

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 6.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 62
  • $Autumn equinox 7.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 7.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 68
  • $Autumn equinox 5.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 5.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
These are taking over a half hour apiece. This quilt will take about 24 hours when all is said and done, not to mention the put away time. The sets and sashing are a quilt unto themselves.

scans 5, 6, and 7...

But they are gorgeous!

I remember my mother hand piecing that 'drunkard's path' quilt I loved so much. It took her weeks and weeks. She didn't hand piece everything, but I guess it was best with the curves involved in that one. I still have it and it is worn to shreds I used it for so many years!

This is off the web. One day if I ever do spring cleaning again, I'll run across and post it for you.

13076-2.jpg

Last edited:

scans 5, 6, and 7...

But they are gorgeous!

I remember my mother hand piecing that 'drunkard's path' quilt I loved so much. It took her weeks and weeks. She didn't hand piece everything, but I guess it was best with the curves involved in that one. I still have it and it is worn to shreds I used it for so many years!

This is off the web. One day if I ever do spring cleaning again, I'll run across and post it for you.

13076-2.jpg
Thanks for posting a picture of a drunkard's path. I did a scrap one for my sister once. It's a little small, though, so she uses it in the convertible-couch library/guest bedroom in her farmstead home.

Those curved-pieced quilts are a huge lot of work, and I look forward to seeing yours, Sunshine, when and if you find time to take a snap. :huddle:

I've had an earache, so only did a couple of squares in the last 2 days. I need to get back to the strip quilt. It's gotten to be so boring I could cry. As much as I love fall colors, I can't stick with them like the color green for some reason. Well, my butt's dragging, I better get a move on to the sewing room and try, try again. Thanks again for showing a curved pieced quilt. I'll have to do another again sometime. I bought a huge curved template that will mean less work and improved accuracy (it's easier to sew a large curve than a small one). It has to do with more threads in the bias edge or something and results in fewer "pinches" in sewing the seam.

Last edited:

scans 5, 6, and 7...

But they are gorgeous!

13076-2.jpg
Thanks for posting a picture of a drunkard's path. I did a scrap one for my sister once. It's a little small, though, so she uses it in the convertible-couch library/guest bedroom in her farmstead home.

Those curved-pieced quilts are a huge lot of work, and I look forward to seeing yours, Sunshine, when and if you find time to take a snap. :huddle:

I've had an earache, so only did a couple of squares in the last 2 days. I need to get back to the strip quilt. It's gotten to be so boring I could cry. As much as I love fall colors, I can't stick with them like the color green for some reason. Well, my butt's dragging, I better get a move on to the sewing room and try, try again. Thanks again for showing a curved pieced quilt. I'll have to do another again sometime. I bought a huge curved template that will mean less work and improved accuracy (it's easier to sew a large curve than a small one). It has to do with more threads in the bias edge or something and results in fewer "pinches" in sewing the seam.

Get feeling better!

There is so much to know about textiles. I wonder when we become antiquity and they dig us if if they will be impressed!

I should qualify that the only time my mother pieced on a quilt was at the end of the day when everything else was done and the TV was going. Usually what she did was crochet and I have several afghans she did. Funny story, before I moved here I had downsized and lived in a house where I knew I wasn't going to stay. I had my quilt and afghan box in the garage. A mouse got into it and cut up one of the afghans. It was a green and orange one she had made back in the 60s. I can't say I blame him, though, it was excruciatingly ugly and saved me from having to decide on my own discard it. It was a piece of Americana that should never have been! My mother could be the travel agent for guilt trips, so I was glad to have an excuse. :D

Your mom was just trying to get through the most intelligent time of your life, Sunshine. At least you're not spoiled rotten like me. Count your blessings! I thought when my mom said "you better have a maid when you grow up" it was a compliment! Hahahaha! It was her sense of humor trying to get through a cement block! And it didn't happen! :lmao:

That darn fibromyalgia makes a liar outta me every time. Just when I think I couldn't feel worse and say something, it goes into hiding. I felt good enough to finish the third strip block, and I wasn't a bit bored. Maybe bored has more to do with feeling crummy than with actual ho-hum stuff. Anyway, I could tame tigers right now! Three are done, and hopefully, I'll cut the other 14 backing squares and their corresponding 8.5" pieces of single-face flannel (the thinnest kind). How THAT got started, no telling. Oh, yes. Lighter weight quilts. In fall? Well, it really didn't get cold here till the week before Christmas and usually holds out to the first of the year at least before the really cool weather sets in.

Hoped-for look, except mine will not be as brunette with all the orange:

th

Here the long-suffering blocks are:

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 10.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 10.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 56
  • $Autumn equinox 9.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 9.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 52
  • $Autumn equinox 8.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 8.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 55
Your mom was just trying to get through the most intelligent time of your life, Sunshine. At least you're not spoiled rotten like me. Count your blessings! I thought when my mom said "you better have a maid when you grow up" it was a compliment! Hahahaha! It was her sense of humor trying to get through a cement block! And it didn't happen! :lmao:

That darn fibromyalgia makes a liar outta me every time. Just when I think I couldn't feel worse and say something, it goes into hiding. I felt good enough to finish the third strip block, and I wasn't a bit bored. Maybe bored has more to do with feeling crummy than with actual ho-hum stuff. Anyway, I could tame tigers right now! Three are done, and hopefully, I'll cut the other 14 backing squares and their corresponding 8.5" pieces of single-face flannel (the thinnest kind). How THAT got started, no telling. Oh, yes. Lighter weight quilts. In fall? Well, it really didn't get cold here till the week before Christmas and usually holds out to the first of the year at least before the really cool weather sets in.

Hoped-for look, except mine will not be as brunette with all the orange:

th

Here the long-suffering blocks are:

Pain is worse when you are bored and stressed.

Yeah, stress and boredom are the pits. It's almost like running out of rep and being too tired to wait several hour till you get some more. :tongue:

Scans 1, 2, and 3 are strip blocks 11, 12, and 13. Finished 2 but didn't trim them late yesterday, got up and pinned 12 blocks and finished one of the new group of 12. It's a great way to start Monday off. Since the remainder are pinned, It'd be a gift to get them all done by five o'clock this afternoon.

When the blocks are done, 30 similar sashes need to be done. Getting finished will be so fun!

Here's to progress on quilts for shelter kids: :woohoo:

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 11.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 11.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 49
  • $Autumn equinox 12.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 12.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 58
  • $Autumn equinox 13.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 13.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 57
Seems the blocks are getting brighter and brighter. It will take all my focus to intersperse the less bright blocks between the hotter than hot ones when the 24 needed blocks are complete.

Blocks 14, 15, and 16:

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 16.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 16.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
  • $Autumn equinox 15.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 15.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 60
  • $Autumn equinox 14.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 14.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 62
It took just under 4 hours to do 6 blocks. Seems they went faster than on days I had the earache. My medicine worked okay. :) Now, it's back to the sewing room after this post. :)
Wouldn't it be lovely to get all the blocks finished, sashing cut and sewn, and this puppy finished by nightfall! :woohoo:

Blocks 17, 18, and 19:

Attachments

• $Autumn equinox 17.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 17.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 53
  • $Autumn equinox 18.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 18.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
  • $Autumn equinox 19.jpg
    $Autumn equinox 19.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54

Forum List