Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Yeah, stress and boredom are the pits. It's almost like running out of rep and being too tired to wait several hour till you get some more. :tongue:

Scans 1, 2, and 3 are strip blocks 11, 12, and 13. Finished 2 but didn't trim them late yesterday, got up and pinned 12 blocks and finished one of the new group of 12. It's a great way to start Monday off. Since the remainder are pinned, It'd be a gift to get them all done by five o'clock this afternoon.

When the blocks are done, 30 similar sashes need to be done. Getting finished will be so fun!

Here's to progress on quilts for shelter kids: :woohoo:

Such beautiful workmanship!

All the yellow blocks were finished last night. It's too early to turn the light on and waken house sleepers, will show later. Hope everyone has a beautiful day today! We had rain for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for a couple of dry days so I can start the tractor to keep its moving parts working. It helps to ride around the fence areas, but the area behind the lake is some kind of seasonal wash area, and last year we got the tractor stuck there not once, butt twice. All my sister's men friends came and helped. She makes them dinner several times a year, and there's nothing they wouldn't do for her, me included. Have to go make coffee n donuts at the USMB Coffee Shop. Y'all come. :D

This quilt is plenty wide for its purpose, and will have a small border when done, likely in brown that is the same fabric as the centers. :) So the width will be less one and the length may or may not be two longer than planned. All is moot at this point. It's eating time, so January may not see 10 quilts, unless I do a couple prestarts in haste closer to the end of this month, unless this project keeps on going that far, and it could. Lime proved too hard to find all at once, which would require a complete overhaul of the sewing room. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, Here's the new layout 8 squares wide and 10 or 12 squares long, likely 12. That way, it can be completed in blocks, come what may. I only sewed 4 of the greens and will likely spend the duration of today completing the other green squares. You have to cut 4 different fabrics per block. 13x4 being 52 different pieces. And that's why this quilt is a time gobbler. It was supposed to be faster, but then I got picky about color choices. Brought it on myself. :D

Row 1 is actually 2 rows of squares, but a block has 4 squares, so it's row one of blocks. Here are the last 3 squares in row 2:

Attachments

• $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 2.jpg
    $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 38
  • $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 3.jpg
    $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 37
  • $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 4.jpg
    $Tootsie pops Row 2, Block 4.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 44
Went to Murray Sewing Center today. They do machine quilting. But the First Methodist Church does hand quilting. Not sure which way to go. I'm picky about the hand quilting and if it's not up to snuff would rather have machine. (OTOH: I wouldn't want really great hand quilting to upstage all my fine cross stitch now would i? :lol: ) But I have a few weeks to think it over.

The Tootsie Roll story began in 1896, when Austrian-born Leo Hirshfield opened a tiny candy shop in New York City. Taking full advantage of his confectioner’s background, Hirshfield hand-crafted a variety of products, including an individually wrapped, oblong, chewy, chocolate candy that quickly became a customer favorite. Sold at a penny apiece and affectionately named after Hirshfield’s five-year old daughter, Clara, whose nickname was “Tootsie,” Tootsie Rolls propelled Hirshfield’s modest corner store into burgeoning candy enterprise that has evolved in little more than a century into the multinational corporation, Tootsie Roll Industries.

Strongly adhering to Hirshfield’s original recipe, Tootsie Roll Industries today produces more than 62 million Tootsie Roll candies each day, the majority from its Chicago headquarters. Building on the success of Tootsie Roll and its early offspring (the company launched Tootsie Pops, the world’s number one-selling lollipop, in 1931), the company has expanded over the years and now includes 22 of the world’s favorite candy brands within its confectionery lineup.

Tootsie dot com History

Here's some pictures of their Tootsie Roll Pops to show the bright candy outsides and the inner chocolate centers as well as one of the squares that hasn't been sewn into a 4-square block yet in the Tootsie Pop charity quilt I'm making:

Attachments

• $Tootsie pop bright colors.jpg
    $Tootsie pop bright colors.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 38
  • $Tootsie pop centers.jpg
    $Tootsie pop centers.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 38
  • $Tootsie pop log cabin square with chocolate center.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin square with chocolate center.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
Went to Murray Sewing Center today. They do machine quilting. But the First Methodist Church does hand quilting. Not sure which way to go. I'm picky about the hand quilting and if it's not up to snuff would rather have machine. (OTOH: I wouldn't want really great hand quilting to upstage all my fine cross stitch now would i? :lol: ) But I have a few weeks to think it over.
Sunshine, on the quilt you're making, the hand quilting would be the nicest compliment, especially if the ladies use the same color quilting thread as the background--white or off-white. Usually, quilters will show you a sample of their work if you request it. that will give you an idea. I did a few hand embroidered quilts by machine. One lady liked it so well, she came back again and again every 6 months when she finished a top. She had 4 children. I kept the needle away from her precious stitches and did all my work free motion serpentine quilting. It stood down so people could admire her work.

Last edited:
The Tootsie Roll story began in 1896, when Austrian-born Leo Hirshfield opened a tiny candy shop in New York City. Taking full advantage of his confectioner’s background, Hirshfield hand-crafted a variety of products, including an individually wrapped, oblong, chewy, chocolate candy that quickly became a customer favorite. Sold at a penny apiece and affectionately named after Hirshfield’s five-year old daughter, Clara, whose nickname was “Tootsie,” Tootsie Rolls propelled Hirshfield’s modest corner store into burgeoning candy enterprise that has evolved in little more than a century into the multinational corporation, Tootsie Roll Industries.

Strongly adhering to Hirshfield’s original recipe, Tootsie Roll Industries today produces more than 62 million Tootsie Roll candies each day, the majority from its Chicago headquarters. Building on the success of Tootsie Roll and its early offspring (the company launched Tootsie Pops, the world’s number one-selling lollipop, in 1931), the company has expanded over the years and now includes 22 of the world’s favorite candy brands within its confectionery lineup.

Tootsie dot com History

Here's some pictures of their Tootsie Roll Pops to show the bright candy outsides and the inner chocolate centers as well as one of the squares that hasn't been sewn into a 4-square block yet in the Tootsie Pop charity quilt I'm making:

Interesting Becky!!!!
Btw, I am starting to crochet another afghan...I thought I was finished...I made one for each child and each grandchild....but I saw this beautiful bright colorful yarn, it's called Bikini...*haha*...and I thought to myself...man I really want to see what that would look like all finished!
So I am going to make another, and hopefully by the time it gets done, I will have decided who will get it :)

Tootsie dot com History

Interesting Becky!!!!
Btw, I am starting to crochet another afghan...I thought I was finished...I made one for each child and each grandchild....but I saw this beautiful bright colorful yarn, it's called Bikini...*haha*...and I thought to myself...man I really want to see what that would look like all finished!
So I am going to make another, and hopefully by the time it gets done, I will have decided who will get it :)
Wow, Dabs, it's out of this world. I looked it up & that has to be one of the most beautiful yarn combos I've ever seen! It's hawt! :D

Attachments

• $3344373057_cf161cb9e7_z.jpg
    $3344373057_cf161cb9e7_z.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Tootsie dot com History

Interesting Becky!!!!
Wow, Dabs, it's out of this world. I looked it up & that has to be one of the most beautiful yarn combos I've ever seen! It's hawt! :D

Ouuuuu...wow Becky, that does look pretty!!!!
I took a picture too, of my skeins I just got.....cause the ones I saw online, didn't look as bright as the ones I got.
But I never saw the photo you posted....it's gonna be a happy one for sure :)

Attachments

• $yarn.jpg
    $yarn.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 39
I looked and found a skein of "bikini" yarn in Wally World today. Have no idea what I'll do with it, but maybe a pair of crocheted slippers like my mom used to make. I made a bazillion pairs of them for family after she passed on, then got too busy with raising a family. I think I can remember how to do it, though. Who needs a pattern when you've made a bazillion pairs! Good times! <trying hard not to panic> :D

Speaking of colors, I was searching the net and found the new colors of Tootsie pops, and also found a package at Wally World, since I had to go there anyway, though why I bought them I don't know. I'm not much of a candy-eating person.

The New Colors of Tootsie Pops:
(credits: Tootsie Product Information Page):

Attachments

• $Tootsie Pop colors banner.jpg
    $Tootsie Pop colors banner.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Today was a really good day with the tootsie pop quilt. It's 7 across and 8 down at this point. There are only 8 squares left to sew, and it will done!

Here are parts of horizontal squares that haven't been added to the larger (and growing) main body:

Scan 1, turquoise and a royal blue square

Scan 2, some lime and yellows

Scan 3, the lone purple square that represents grape Tootsie pops

Attachments

• $Tootsie pop log cabin squares, turquoise and blue.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin squares, turquoise and blue.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
  • $Tootsie pop log cabin squares, limes and yellows.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin squares, limes and yellows.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 53
  • $Tootsie pop log cabin purple square.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin purple square.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 55
Here are some of the squares done over the last 4 or 5 days. Progress has been disappointing, but there is a lot to do in making a quilt that repeats none of the fabrics (except all the lights are the same piece of white I nearly ran out of).

Wow that is absolutely stunning!

I'm working on my little projects...mom loved her little fabric birds. I made my granddaughter a sock monkey last Friday...I'd never made one before, and she LOVES it!! I have dug out an old "project" which is a needlework ornament kit that I picked up at Goodwill months and months ago and haven't started on yet. Everything is there, I'm going to work on them during my daughter's play practices this winter/spring, I think. I should be able to get them done and have them for next Christmas.

I'm making a concerted effort to plug away on my projects, none of which are as detailed or vast as Becki's quilts. My objective is to have a stash of hand-made gifts on hand at all times, so I can always pull something out when the kids have a birthday or I want to give a hostess gift, and so I have some things I can give out at Christmastime. I am absolutely committed to working on something a little each day and keeping it going through the year.

I was going to make some more sock monkeys on Monday, but as it turns out the socks I had on hand for the job were just a little TOO worn, they wouldn't work. But it's a great project and the kids can help; we're going to make some for the bassinet at church, I think (we always have a bassinet that we fill with baby stuff...when it's full it goes to the local pregnancy crisis center and we start a new one...and then they give that stuff out to families they counsel).

I'll get a picture of my sock monkey! He didn't have the red heel, but he looks cute anyway. And I haven't finished his little hat...the dog keeps stealing it and I haven't run across my red yarn for the pom pom it needs before I affix it to the little guy....

Love you guys.

Sock monkey time!

First, socks..yes, for those sock monkey makers who are rolling in dough, you MAY opt to use the cool, brand new, red-heeled, red-toed work socks...but for the rest of us peons, any old socks will do...

sockmonkey1.jpg

And here's the precious darling granddaughter doing her bit to stuff that fella:

sockmonkey3.jpg

Halfway there:

sockmonkey4.jpg

Sheesh this was the hardest part:

sockmonkey5.jpg

Poor blind, deaf, and featureless little guy:

sockmonkey6.jpg

With the princess:

sockmonkey8.jpg

Hanging on his own between shifts:

sockmonkey.jpg

Someone asked me..."why blue eyes".

My witty response:

"Because I had blue buttons."

Koshergrl, that's just a riot. What a beautiful granddaughter, too! :)

Call this subjective, but I see red white and blue all over that cute sock monkey! :D

You deserve two reps today, but I'm not a mod. :thanks:

I was so lazy today. I walked back and forth from front to back along the fence of our farm, for the first time since my antibiotic therapy started a few days ago, which induced a sleep-all-afternoon nap. So the quilt got set aside for another day (again.) :evil:

Oh, well, it's great to see the sock monkey. My grandmother made me one, but our family moved once a year every year, so he must've gotten lost or left behind somewhere. :dunno:

Last edited:

Call this subjective, but I see red white and blue all over that cute sock monkey! :D

Haha I think he's a patriotic fellow...

I actually have some over the top patriotic print material that I'll have to use to make him some dungarees and a vest, lol...

Haha I think he's a patriotic fellow...

I actually have some over the top patriotic print material that I'll have to use to make him some dungarees and a vest, lol...
Way too cute 'twill be...

.... Stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni...
Yankee Doodle keep it up, Yankee Doodle dandy
Mind your music and your step, and will the girls be handy!

I looked and found a skein of "bikini" yarn in Wally World today. Have no idea what I'll do with it, but maybe a pair of crocheted slippers like my mom used to make. I made a bazillion pairs of them for family after she passed on, then got too busy with raising a family. I think I can remember how to do it, though. Who needs a pattern when you've made a bazillion pairs! Good times! <trying hard not to panic> :D

Speaking of colors, I was searching the net and found the new colors of Tootsie pops, and also found a package at Wally World, since I had to go there anyway, though why I bought them I don't know. I'm not much of a candy-eating person.

Awesome......looking forward to pictures!!!!!

Awesome......looking forward to pictures!!!!!
Well, I have to find where I put the size G crochet hook first. That could take some time...and I've already looked in all the old familiar places.

Forum List

Back