Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

She's done! :woohoo:

There are 70 squares, a white border and a blue Forget-me-nots border.
the small quilt measures 43x57". there are 630 logs. The 280 logs of color are each a different fabric. That's what ate time, when you're picky, picky, picky, picky, picky. :)

Some shots of the border:

Attachments

• $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
  • $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border2.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 52
  • $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border3.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt forget-me-nots border3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Couldn't find one even remotely like this one. Guess I MUST learn to use a camera. I'm afraid to open the box, though. :eusa_hand:

Here's a masterpiece quilt a lady named Lolo made that rocks with optical illusions:

23221754298107907_qboCS0R5_c.jpg

And below, a copy of a corner with the tag on it to give to charity bees so they will know what size backing to use. It's 43x57".

Attachments

• $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt top tagged at 43x57 inches.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt top tagged at 43x57 inches.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 54
This quilt went together exactly as below (some of the squares above are turned sideways, etc. to get the best scan), except as you can see from the above, the actual colors are much brighter. I love this quilt. It took a lot of time to cut a strip for each colored piece, then lay the entire strip aside. There are probably enough cuttings for 4 or 5 more quilts like this one if I could get a couple of yards of white here and there for the same look. The next one is not going to take weeks! (famous last words...)

The schema, completed today, sans border:

Attachments

• $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt completed plan.jpg
    $Tootsie pop log cabin quilt completed plan.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 55
Couldn't find one even remotely like this one. Guess I MUST learn to use a camera. I'm afraid to open the box, though. :eusa_hand:

Here's a masterpiece quilt a lady named Lolo made that rocks with optical illusions:

And below, a copy of a corner with the tag on it to give to charity bees so they will know what size backing to use. It's 43x57".

That is so very beautiful. I would want to hang it on the wall of a log home.

That is so very beautiful. I would want to hang it on the wall of a log home.
Isn't she amazing, Delia! :)

couldn't find one even remotely like this one. Guess i must learn to use a camera. I'm afraid to open the box, though. :eusa_hand:

Here's a masterpiece quilt a lady named lolo made that rocks with optical illusions:

23221754298107907_qbocs0r5_c.jpg

and below, a copy of a corner with the tag on it to give to charity bees so they will know what size backing to use. It's 43x57".

wow

couldn't find one even remotely like this one. Guess i must learn to use a camera. I'm afraid to open the box, though. :eusa_hand:

Here's a masterpiece quilt a lady named lolo made that rocks with optical illusions:

and below, a copy of a corner with the tag on it to give to charity bees so they will know what size backing to use. It's 43x57".

wow
Her quilt reminds me of probably the most well-remembered quilt of the red and white show we talked about sometime last year (It's the first quilt shown):

[ame=http://youtu.be/iu6_nCjgtR8]Red and White - Infinite Variety: Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not a quilter by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to show you a quilt project that my mom, my sisters, and I did last summer. The background story is that we lost my dad in the summer of '11, and my dad was a man who always wore a western-cut shirt with the sleeves rolled up two turns, jeans, and boots. No matter where he went, or what the occasion was, this was how my dad dressed. Even for weddings and funerals. After he died, my mom couldn't bring herself to part with his many plaid western shirts, so she and my sister (who is into quilting), decided we should all make a quilt out of his old shirts. We spent last summer putting it together, with my mom doing most of the work, and my sister who spent alot of lunch hours from work over there, and when I would go for our every-other-Thursday visits, we would spend the day quilting, rather than going on our resale shopping sprees. My sister entered the quilt in a quilting show which will be in Dallas in a couple of months. We had alot of fun doing it, and it has so much sentimental value, because several of those shirts were gifts from me over the years.

Attachments

• $quilt.jpg
    $quilt.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75
Koshergrl, that's just a riot. What a beautiful granddaughter, too! :)

Call this subjective, but I see red white and blue all over that cute sock monkey! :D

You deserve two reps today, but I'm not a mod. :thanks:

I was so lazy today. I walked back and forth from front to back along the fence of our farm, for the first time since my antibiotic therapy started a few days ago, which induced a sleep-all-afternoon nap. So the quilt got set aside for another day (again.) :evil:

Oh, well, it's great to see the sock monkey. My grandmother made me one, but our family moved once a year every year, so he must've gotten lost or left behind somewhere. :dunno:

It is a very kid-friendly project. I was home the day we made it, and my kids were off somewhere...all of them...so it was just me and the girl. We went to pick out the socks, and had to get some stuffing...she was with me the whole time and was able to do whatever she wanted to put her hand to. It isn't like you can hurt them or get them wrong. Our problem in this household is klaus...he's obsessed with socks like some dogs are obsessed with balls. He hunts for them and carries the around in his mouth...clean or dirty, he doesn't care. Then he shreds holes in them. So the sock monkey had better be pretty careful, or he's gonna get it. Klaus has already seen him and shown a LOT of interest.

I'm not a quilter by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to show you a quilt project that my mom, my sisters, and I did last summer. The background story is that we lost my dad in the summer of '11, and my dad was a man who always wore a western-cut shirt with the sleeves rolled up two turns, jeans, and boots. No matter where he went, or what the occasion was, this was how my dad dressed. Even for weddings and funerals. After he died, my mom couldn't bring herself to part with his many plaid western shirts, so she and my sister (who is into quilting), decided we should all make a quilt out of his old shirts. We spent last summer putting it together, with my mom doing most of the work, and my sister who spent alot of lunch hours from work over there, and when I would go for our every-other-Thursday visits, we would spend the day quilting, rather than going on our resale shopping sprees. My sister entered the quilt in a quilting show which will be in Dallas in a couple of months. We had alot of fun doing it, and it has so much sentimental value, because several of those shirts were gifts from me over the years.
24100d1359167978-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-quilt.jpg
Oh, Lizzie. Your dad's memorial quilt just totally rocks. Thanks for sharing such a precious family item. :huddle:

Koshergrl, that's just a riot. What a beautiful granddaughter, too! :)

Call this subjective, but I see red white and blue all over that cute sock monkey! :D

You deserve two reps today, but I'm not a mod. :thanks:

I was so lazy today. I walked back and forth from front to back along the fence of our farm, for the first time since my antibiotic therapy started a few days ago, which induced a sleep-all-afternoon nap. So the quilt got set aside for another day (again.) :evil:

Oh, well, it's great to see the sock monkey. My grandmother made me one, but our family moved once a year every year, so he must've gotten lost or left behind somewhere. :dunno:

It is a very kid-friendly project. I was home the day we made it, and my kids were off somewhere...all of them...so it was just me and the girl. We went to pick out the socks, and had to get some stuffing...she was with me the whole time and was able to do whatever she wanted to put her hand to. It isn't like you can hurt them or get them wrong. Our problem in this household is klaus...he's obsessed with socks like some dogs are obsessed with balls. He hunts for them and carries the around in his mouth...clean or dirty, he doesn't care. Then he shreds holes in them. So the sock monkey had better be pretty careful, or he's gonna get it. Klaus has already seen him and shown a LOT of interest.
So Klaus wants his own sock monkey too, hm? lolol! :D

Miss Music, our precious black labrador also has a fetish for socks. I don't think there's a sock in our house hat doesn't have a couple of her toothing holes on them somewhere. And the little rascal has lots of her playthings scattered over 14 acres, too. :evil: Fortunately for her, it's her only fault, and she looks so cute when she's naughty.

Oh, well,

Last year, many squares more than went into the quilts were intentionally made for another year, when I wasn't so tired of the projects. Here's leftover squares hastily put into sets and sashes this morning. These squares take almost the same amount of time as the Tootsie Pop quilt logs, except they're presewn, plus sashes are twice as wide as the logs were, so from 4 am to around 7 or 8 am, the 30 squares went quickly into the little quilt for which some of the blocks were sewn. The Tootsie Pops border was so pretty, I decided to pair the blue Forget-me-nots with some bright yellow bumble bee fabrics for sashes and sets on this quilt. Ugh! The blue really did look a lot better near white. A bubblegum pink would have been a much better choice for this quilt, so I'll have to try it on the next one. Heheh, I need a pink quilt to go along with the others anyway. Maybe the next time blue is selected, it will be a monochromatic schema. Anachromatic quilts are just really at home between bubblegum pink. No one knows why, but our mothers' quilts often sparkled when they used the gum pinks available to them in the antebellum years. they may have made a comeback prior to the recent urge to make pink-backgrounded or sashed quilts, I'm thinking 1880s also enjoyed some pink quilts, and there were a lot of pinks in the 1930s as memory serves me. Oh heck, it's subjective. I jus like blue quilts, just not this one. The sooner I get it bordered and outta my hair the better.

Here are some scans of the Forget-me-not quilt-from-hell (snicker):

Attachments

• $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 3.jpg
    $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 3.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 65
  • $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 2.jpg
    $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 57
  • $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 1.jpg
    $Forge-me-not Windmill Quilt 1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 53
So beckums, I went back to Murray Sewing Center today to see if they had the DMC 702 thread. Not sure why I'm having trouble finding it. May have to go online. But this is BFE.

Anyway there was a woman in there doing some machine quilting and beautifully I might add. I just think I'm going to have to spring for a sewing machine, though, not to quilt but to do embroidery and other fancy stuff. I am really not good at things like sewing clothes. That requires a certain mental capacity that I don't really have. Now, my daughter who is an architectural designer and construction manager took one look at a pattern and said, 'Its nothing but a blueprint!' Go figure. She has made various things that really look great. The first thing she did was a diaper bag from a pattern she found online. No one could believe she actually made it herself.

I'm back in the swing on the blocks and trying to be careful with the arm and shoulder. I did the first number of blocks before I moved back from TN and just after my rotator cuff surgery. The doctor had cleaned out all the arthritis, and I'm sure it is now back and really angry. So, I have to watch it.

I was looking at lavendar thread for the next one and it wasn't doing anything for me, but I found a lovely deep rose. I may switch to that for the next one. They have a lot of cross stitch and embroidery quilt blocks at that store. Also, lots of material and various and sundry clothing and quilt patterns. Not a bad store for a little one horse town.

wow
Her quilt reminds me of probably the most well-remembered quilt of the red and white show we talked about sometime last year (It's the first quilt shown):

[ame=http://youtu.be/iu6_nCjgtR8]Red and White - Infinite Variety: Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

WOW! Again.

What keeps those things from making you crazy.

Sock monkey time!

First, socks..yes, for those sock monkey makers who are rolling in dough, you MAY opt to use the cool, brand new, red-heeled, red-toed work socks...but for the rest of us peons, any old socks will do...

sockmonkey1.jpg

And here's the precious darling granddaughter doing her bit to stuff that fella:

sockmonkey3.jpg

Halfway there:

sockmonkey4.jpg

Sheesh this was the hardest part:

sockmonkey5.jpg

Poor blind, deaf, and featureless little guy:

sockmonkey6.jpg

With the princess:

sockmonkey8.jpg

Hanging on his own between shifts:

sockmonkey.jpg

Beautiful girl. Cute sock monkeys!

Well, we drove to the quilt store, found some assorted matching fabrics in childrens' prints, so hopefully, by tomorrow, the quilt done to a point today will be made to come together with a matching print to the blues--I found a beautiful fish print, the prettiest royal bright blue ever that is a 2-dimensional takeoff on fancy leather tooling, white doves on a really pretty blue, and 3 different light prints to offset the sets and sashing. By the morning, hopefully I'll pick one of them. Sometimes a good border can make all the difference in a quilt you threw your hands up on. It helps to have choices, sleep on it, then figure out what you really want the quilt to say. I want this one to say to a shelter child--may happiness replace all your sorrows, dear one.

Oh, and that reminds me! I found my file on a quilt I did for a fire victim child 15 or so years ago. It's called "Tell them I'm a Child of God." I designed the children. It was such a happy quilt to do:

Attachments

• 37.1 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the kind words, Koshergrl.

After all that quilt fabric shopping yesterday afternoon 60 miles from here, and being too tired after getting home to do much of anything except read posts, sleeping on it worked out well. In the morning, I reviewed my new pieces purchases, and decided on using a between fabric I found the other day around the house as the inner border and the new deep sea fish fabric on the outside. The blue Gypsy collection fabric from Hoffman has light and dark splotches with some metallic light blue "kelp" weblike fabric that joined the well-matched light Forget-me-not flowers in the sashes, lowered the impact of the yellow fabric by increasing the # of square inches in blues, plus the blue Enchanted Oceans fabric by South Sea Islands (SSI) had so many beautiful fish and colors, it actually enhanced the frenetic look of placed "windmills" or "propellers" so I changed the name to reflect the new look-- "The Blue Submarine Propellers Forget-me-not" quilt top. What a mouthful of words! Probably would be more understandable to call it "Fishes." :lmao:

Scan 1 - Top and info card
Scan 2 - side
Scan 3 - bottom corner

Attachments

• $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 1 Propellers Border .jpg
    $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 1 Propellers Border .jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
  • $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 2 Propellers Side Border.jpg
    $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 2 Propellers Side Border.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 43
  • $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 3 Propellers Lowr Bord.jpg
    $Blue Submarine Forge-me-nots 3 Propellers Lowr Bord.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Koshergrl.

After all that quilt fabric shopping yesterday afternoon 60 miles from here, and being too tired after getting home to do much of anything except read posts, sleeping on it worked out well. In the morning, I reviewed my new pieces purchases, and decided on using a between fabric I found the other day around the house as the inner border and the new deep sea fish fabric on the outside. The blue Gypsy collection fabric from Hoffman has light and dark splotches with some metallic light blue "kelp" weblike fabric that joined the well-matched light Forget-me-not flowers in the sashes, lowered the impact of the yellow fabric by increasing the # of square inches in blues, plus the blue Enchanted Oceans fabric by South Sea Islands (SSI) had so many beautiful fish and colors, it actually enhanced the frenetic look of placed "windmills" or "propellers" so I changed the name to reflect the new look-- "The Blue Submarine Propellers Forget-me-not" quilt top. What a mouthful of words! Probably would be more understandable to call it "Fishes." :lmao:

Scan 1 - Top and info card
Scan 2 - side
Scan 3 - bottom corner

I like that fish design. Don't think I've ever seen it in a quilt before.

Forum List

Back