Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Oh dear, I'm not very good at this picking my favorite thing!

I liked the one next to it with the birds. Not sure I got a good shot of it, but the ones that I liked the most were the ones that just jumped up and said "Middle East!"

Two more. They were ALL true works or art. I guess the draw for me was these guys. This is all so like things I saw in Egypt. I'm sure I'll never go back since the world has lost its senses. They were very cordial and did talk to me about Egypt.

They even had the story of Mohammed, and none of us bigoted right wing western Kentuckians made them take it down. Or even seemed to take much notice, actually. LOL

That's all the photos I got of the Middle Eastern ones. I will post some of the others, but I have to get them uploaded. This one wasn't a prize winner but it was one of my favorites. It is called 'Over the Rainbow' and I think it really captures the black and white world or Kansas and the colorful world over the rainbow where you see things for what they really are.

Last edited:
I'll take another hitch at it in a bit and get you some more uploaed. In all, I'm glad I went. I had never been to one. One of my FB friends posted this. I think it conveys the mass inferiority complex people in this area have, which is sad, really. People from here are very skilled and competent people. It never hurt me any to be from here or to have a degree from Murray State. I have been around the block, and the world. There are far worse places to be and to be from.

If I had to pick a favorite of all, I think this would be it. It was much more impressive in person, as most were. The wings looked like satin stitch embroidery and were just gorgeous. They had many quilts that had shiny things like sequins and sparkly cloth and thread. I don't think the camera picked up any of the sparkles. I looked closely at the hand quilted ones and my mother would give her not of approval. Tiny, tiny stitches, all. The vendors had some cool stuff too. I bought a pattern from one for a little evening bag, actually, but it looked like something I could enlarge a bit and have a more comfortable pack for my medicine pump. I also bought another pair of embroidery scissors, and some chiffon ribbon to knit me a scarf with. I suppose I should be laying in some things to do against the day I will not be able to do anything but sit around. LOL They had some fabulous yarns, unlike any I had ever seen. English Sewing even had their Pfaff machines there. This was the sewing woman's (and man's too it would seem) Mecca.

Last edited:
This was my favorite. It is a caligraphy. No idea what it says, but it makes me think of a round caligraphy I did a few years back on parchment that said, 'Love Makes the World Go 'Round.' I thought about asking, but they were very busy the whole time. It is likely something religious. When I was there, I bought a wall hanging made of copper and leather that was the 99 names of God. I might go in a bit and see if any of the things on my wall hanging look like this.

It almost looks Celtic, Sunshine. No wonder you like it. Just sayin'...:eusa_whistle:

Sunshine, just from what you posted in photographs from the quilt show leaves me in awe. That was an excellent and inspiring show from Cairo, and many people will be inspired by these amazing craftsmen. I was very taken by the picture you took of the man appliqueing by hand with his entire concentration going into the work of his hands. You could feel his reverence for excellence, and their borders are so excellent it tells me we have a lot of room for improvement, with a few notable exceptions in the field, of course.

Often when cultures clash, the first outreach is through the arts. In that spirit, I hope the Middle Easterners will heal their anger with each other as neighbors, as well as the eastern and western worlds.

Thank you so much for going to the show in your amazing region of the world and for sharing it here.

Sunshine, just from what you posted in photographs from the quilt show leaves me in awe. That was an excellent and inspiring show from Cairo, and many people will be inspired by these amazing craftsmen. I was very taken by the picture you took of the man appliqueing by hand with his entire concentration going into the work of his hands. You could feel his reverence for excellence, and their borders are so excellent it tells me we have a lot of room for improvement, with a few notable exceptions in the field, of course.

Often when cultures clash, the first outreach is through the arts. In that spirit, I hope the Middle Easterners will heal their anger with each other as neighbors, as well as the eastern and western worlds.

Thank you so much for going to the show in your amazing region of the world and for sharing it here.

There's more. I got most that had ribbons. Will get those up for you when I can.

This was my favorite. It is a caligraphy. No idea what it says, but it makes me think of a round caligraphy I did a few years back on parchment that said, 'Love Makes the World Go 'Round.' I thought about asking, but they were very busy the whole time. It is likely something religious. When I was there, I bought a wall hanging made of copper and leather that was the 99 names of God. I might go in a bit and see if any of the things on my wall hanging look like this.

It almost looks Celtic, Sunshine. No wonder you like it. Just sayin'...:eusa_whistle:

Probably arabic:

calligraphy.jpg
1099758.jpg

After seeing what you guys do and look at I feel such a plebe, lol...

But hey, I finished two lengths of the thread crochet in dark green....it's enough for 2 pillow cases. I dug out a couple of finished ones that my daughter worked on...they are the same pattern (a simple butterflies pattern good for beginners to learn cross, outline and satin stiches on) with different stitches and thread...I'm going to slap that lace on there and give them to her. I need to wash and iron the edging first, then pin it on, then hand stitch it. I thought of using the machine but I think it will be better to hand stitch it.

I finished the little pillow that I worked on this winter, with the cross stiched butterflies and pansies...I threw away half of the cloth ruffle that was supposed to edge it, and hadn't decided what to use...I was thinking of using some green fabric...but I think I'm going to crochet a ruffle for it. A wide ruffle, dark green..it will match her pillow cases.

Also I bought some very fine pale green linen for her this winter; my intent is to make hankies out of it, and I'm going to edge those with dark green thread edging as well. So I'm going to be crocheting up a storn for a while, and sort of pulling little projects together that have been sitting around.

I made one of my potholders (and it turned out really cool) but my bobbin ran out on the second and I haven't reloaded yet.

I also started my daughter on a crochet potholder, so she can perfect her single crochet technique. She wants to do it and if I don't teach her now she's never going to get it. She took it to school with her to work on between activities in the classroom.

I'm going nuts because I don't have my crocheting with me right now. Crazy.

After seeing what you guys do and look at I feel such a plebe, lol...

But hey, I finished two lengths of the thread crochet in dark green....it's enough for 2 pillow cases. I dug out a couple of finished ones that my daughter worked on...they are the same pattern (a simple butterflies pattern good for beginners to learn cross, outline and satin stiches on) with different stitches and thread...I'm going to slap that lace on there and give them to her. I need to wash and iron the edging first, then pin it on, then hand stitch it. I thought of using the machine but I think it will be better to hand stitch it.

I finished the little pillow that I worked on this winter, with the cross stiched butterflies and pansies...I threw away half of the cloth ruffle that was supposed to edge it, and hadn't decided what to use...I was thinking of using some green fabric...but I think I'm going to crochet a ruffle for it. A wide ruffle, dark green..it will match her pillow cases.

Also I bought some very fine pale green linen for her this winter; my intent is to make hankies out of it, and I'm going to edge those with dark green thread edging as well. So I'm going to be crocheting up a storn for a while, and sort of pulling little projects together that have been sitting around.

I made one of my potholders (and it turned out really cool) but my bobbin ran out on the second and I haven't reloaded yet.

I also started my daughter on a crochet potholder, so she can perfect her single crochet technique. She wants to do it and if I don't teach her now she's never going to get it. She took it to school with her to work on between activities in the classroom.

I'm going nuts because I don't have my crocheting with me right now. Crazy.
You're doing what I did when I had children at home, koshergrl. I had to set aside a sampler for 10 years. I pulled it out the week after my daughter graduated from high school and left home. It was done in less than a month. It made me realize that the happy time of raising a family, while it ends too soon, well, it just ends. Time to do the things you set aside while you baked bread, taught Church school classes, cooked, cleaned, shopped, chauffeured, supervised, and made cookies for fundraisers and social hours. :)

I'm thrilled to see you teaching girls in your family and friends circle to embroider, along with your own embroideries and crocheted items when you can. Even if it's only a couple of inches crocheted, hope you lay your work on top of your scanner and bring it here through the "managed attachment feature of the advanced posting box. Also you all do pictures that are out of my league. I'm pleased to see them. :)

Last edited:
5 rows of the yellow brick quilt are done. I keep needing a nap today. So much for the new improved generic medicine I started yesterday. :rolleyes:

BBL Time for my 4th nap. :lol:

My camera is still working, barely, but right now I'm computerless at home, so pics probably won't happen for a bit but they will eventually!

I'm going to wash the lace edging tonight, and iron it probably tomorrow...then attach it the next day.

I'm looking for a good pattern for the decorative pillow. I also need to embroider over a little stain on the back side of it...one of the hazards of taking forever to finish this sort of handwork. I think I'll embroider her initials.

KG, I didn't do anything like this when the kids were home. I had to work to support the family. But it comes back around because they were going to take me in when it looked like I wouldn't be able to do for myself.

Forum List

Back