Assad is an enemy of Isil, but not the West’s ally

Telegraph View: The persistence of the odious Syrian president in the face of Isil has exposed the incoherent of Western foreign policy

assad_2267797b.jpg

It is hard to see any solution to the Syrian tragedy which does not involve Western reconciliation with al-Assad Photo: Rex

By Telegraph View

8:15PM GMT 10 Feb 2015

comments.gif
2 Comments

The BBC’s interview with President Bashar al–Assad was a reminder of an inconvenient truth for Western policy-makers: the Syrian leader is still in place and is no closer to being ousted than he was before the civil war began four years ago. It can sometimes be hard to reconcile Assad’s soft-spoken emollience with the tyrant who has countenanced the gassing of his own people and the destruction of much of his country. But for all his efforts to convince international opinion that he is the injured party, he bears the greatest responsibility for the disaster that has overtaken Syria.

Moreover, his refusal to accept any blame for the baleful progress of the war, or to acknowledge the appalling behaviour of his armed forces, is an insult to our intelligence. His flippant denial of the use of barrel bombs against civilians was especially egregious.

Continue reading at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11403949/Assad-is-an-
Filthy western daubers in their stinky and unwashed bum dresses mourn over their lost al-qaeda revolution and - out of their filthy rat holes that consist of lies - throw dirt after the great Syrian President by blaming the terrorist´s crimes on him.

Remember, people, what has been leaked:
1_Britam_Leaks_Daily_Mail.jpg

Great Syrian president who massacres his own people using the country's military, just like his father did several times. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

You are delusional. Assad is no different than Sadam, in fact he's probably worse.
And the soldiers are not the people, flash bulb?
So why should the people massacre the people?

The truth is that Assad protects the people from evil terrorists.

I guess you're alien to the concept of a dictator using the country's military and intelligence apparatus to oppress, torture, and murder his own people? Actually if you review history, this is nothing new, it's been going on since ancient days.

The Syrian uprising was mostly secular, when the Syrian people saw that the world stood by and did nothing while Assad slaughtered tens of thousands of his own people, that's when groups like ISIS stepped in to fill the void. That is a fact.

Of course, because of Obama's failure to act, the conflict has now morphed into something much worse. Had Obama and the West stepped in to support the Syrian uprising at the right time, most of what we see today could have been avoided. Removing US troops from Iraq prematurely was another contributing factor.

The situation today is a great example of why it matters greatly who the American people elect as president.

Last edited:
Telegraph View: The persistence of the odious Syrian president in the face of Isil has exposed the incoherent of Western foreign policy

assad_2267797b.jpg

It is hard to see any solution to the Syrian tragedy which does not involve Western reconciliation with al-Assad Photo: Rex

By Telegraph View

comments.gif
2 Comments

The BBC’s interview with President Bashar al–Assad was a reminder of an inconvenient truth for Western policy-makers: the Syrian leader is still in place and is no closer to being ousted than he was before the civil war began four years ago. It can sometimes be hard to reconcile Assad’s soft-spoken emollience with the tyrant who has countenanced the gassing of his own people and the destruction of much of his country. But for all his efforts to convince international opinion that he is the injured party, he bears the greatest responsibility for the disaster that has overtaken Syria.

Moreover, his refusal to accept any blame for the baleful progress of the war, or to acknowledge the appalling behaviour of his armed forces, is an insult to our intelligence. His flippant denial of the use of barrel bombs against civilians was especially egregious.

Continue reading at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11403949/Assad-is-an-
Filthy western daubers in their stinky and unwashed bum dresses mourn over their lost al-qaeda revolution and - out of their filthy rat holes that consist of lies - throw dirt after the great Syrian President by blaming the terrorist´s crimes on him.

Great Syrian president who massacres his own people using the country's military, just like his father did several times. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

You are delusional. Assad is no different than Sadam, in fact he's probably worse.

I guess you're alien to the concept of a dictator using the country's military and intelligence apparatus to oppress, torture, and murder his own people? Actually if you review history, this is nothing new, it's been going on since ancient days.

The Syrian uprising was mostly secular, when the Syrian people saw that the world stood by and did nothing while Assad slaughtered tens of thousands of his own people, that's when groups like ISIS stepped in to fill the void. That is a fact.

Of course, because of Obama's failure to act, the conflict has now morphed into something much worse. Had Obama and the West stepped in to support the Syrian uprising at the right time, most of what we see today could have been avoided. Removing US troops from Iraq prematurely was another contributing factor.

The situation today is a great example of why it matters greatly who the American people elect as president.
Please, spare me from that propaganda shit.

You know that in truth, the west armed Al-Qaeda and others in several countries, especially in Syria, and gave them even air support in Libya!

UN Obama Fighting Alongside Al-Qaeda in Libya

Bullshit we aren't 'Cooperating" with the mass murderer Assad, and we don't need the mullahs of Iran for shit. They should be driven out of power. Iran with a nuke will change the world as we know it
Why is Israel handing out Golan to Al-Nusra and ISIS?

So I see we have a couple Assad and Iranian mouth pieces on the board are you paid?
Totally honorary and you? I guess, there is some inflow for you, right?
What about my question?

What about it? Israel is "handing out the Golan" now?
Yes. Please tell us what Israel gains from bolstering terrorists in Syria.

You're answering a question with a question. You made the point

Why is Israel handing out Golan to Al-Nusra and ISIS?

So I see we have a couple Assad and Iranian mouth pieces on the board are you paid?
What about my question?

Looks like the topic is unpleasing for you. Well...

assad_2267797b.jpg

By Telegraph View

comments.gif
2 Comments

Continue reading at:

You know that in truth, the west armed Al-Qaeda and others in several countries, especially in Syria, and gave them even air support in Libya!

Obama's Libya whats you gonna do?
What about my question?

the topic..

What about my question?

the topic..

What are you doing on a discussion board, then?

the topic..

Discussing the topic. You?

the topic..

Haven´t you heard about discussions in which examples are used to explain something?

the topic..

Haven´t you heard about discussions in which examples are used to explain something?
You said the islamonazi's where operating out of the Israeli Golan Heights. Was that you or the other Assad apologist?

the topic..

You said the islamonazi's where operating out of the Israeli Golan Heights. Was that you or the other Assad apologist?
They are operating in the Syrian Golan heights with support of the IDF, that shells and strikes Syrian soldiers instead of the terrorists. The UN soldiers that were deployed there said Israel is working with the terrorists, that terrorists cross the border to Israel, etc.
What does Israel gain from supporting terrorism?

the topic..

They are operating in the Syrian Golan heights with support of the IDF, that shells and strikes Syrian soldiers instead of the terrorists. The UN soldiers that were deployed there said Israel is working with the terrorists, that terrorists cross the border to Israel, etc.
What does Israel gain from supporting terrorism?
Proof? the UN said what? Did you talk with them personally? there are no UN Soldiers in Israel. Maybe you're just pissed off about Israel bombing Hazbullah and killing the Iranian general?

assad_2267797b.jpg

By Telegraph View

comments.gif
2 Comments

Continue reading at:

Nobody is denying that the reason Al Queda stepped in was because Obama removed a defanged dictator that had become friendly with the West, and, even willingly, dismantled his how nuclear reactors and ambitions.

But the fact remains, had the West done what was necessary, ISIS would not have stepped in, nor would Assad have already murdered over 200,000 of his own people.

I am just wondering what is "odious" about the current Syrian government compared to the Saudi, Bahrain, Egyptian, Yemeni, or Kuwait governments, for example? Especially given that it is the least religious and most secular government in the Middle East, including Israel. Heck, the Syrian Army has Christian officers and soldiers in it.

Assad is a BAATHIST------baathism is Islam's Nazism.
NATIONAL SOCIALIST PARTY. it's agenda is
MUSLIM FASCISM in the middle east-----the
"secular" claim is a ploy.

Assad has not "murdered" 200,000 people. Those are the total casualties in the civil war. The Syrian government is defending the secular Syrian state from an Islamist takeover. Had the West stepped in it would have resulted in a Libya or an Iraq, where there is no place for Christians. I am a Christian, so I support Christians in Syria, who support the Government.

Assad has not "murdered" 200,000 people. Those are the total casualties in the civil war. The Syrian government is defending the secular Syrian state from an Islamist takeover. Had the West stepped in it would have resulted in a Libya or an Iraq, where there is no place for Christians. I am a Christian, so I support Christians in Syria, who support the Government.

The 200,000 that Assad has murdered are mostly secular Syrians, and many women and children. Not to mention his army routinely raped and tortured civilians. Any real Christian would be appalled by this fact, which you are obviously not, Muslim convert. Had the West stepped in, Assad would not have been able to murder 200,000 of his own people without any recourse, and ISIS would not have been become what it is now. Just as a strong US military presence was able to keep the Islamists from gaining a foothold in Iraq. It was only after Obama's decision to prematurely remove the troops from Iraq that this horrible situation evolved.

In Syria s Civilian Death Toll The Islamic State Group Or ISIS Is A Far Smaller Threat Than Bashar Assad

In Syria's Civilian Death Toll, The Islamic State Group, Or ISIS, Is A Far Smaller Threat Than Bashar Assad

In the six months since the Islamic State group declared a caliphate across Iraq and Syria, it has become an international enemy and prompted the first U.S. intervention in the conflict since the beginning of the nearly four-year Syrian civil war. But the Sunni jihadi group, also known as ISIS, who have turned into a global synonym for brutality aren't remotely as deadly, when it comes to the number of people killed, than the country's own government.

In a civil war that has left more than 200,000 people dead, President Bashar Assad’s regime remains the most dangerous threat to Syrian civilians.

International Business Times compiled the documented death tolls for December 2014 from several Syrian human rights monitoring groups, and in every instance, regime-inflicted civilian deaths dwarfed the number of civilians killed by ISIS. Statistics from Syria are to be taken with caution, since access to the media is limited and reporting on the numbers of casualties is often biased. And in the brutal calculus of a civil war where every faction is guilty of crimes against civilians, those numbers do not indicate that some are more guilty than others, experts say.

“Any generalization you make about Syria will be wrong in the past, wrong now and wrong in the future,” Jeff White, a defense fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said.

The Syrian government long ago stopped keeping a body count, the various jihadist groups do not report casualty numbers, and even the United Nations briefly stopped tracking the death toll last year. Documenting the Syrian death totals is only possible at the most local level, from the many voices of independent human rights advocates, field hospital workers and media activists sprinkled around the country, often operating in secret. The story of Syria’s civil war is being told by civilians though these grassroots monitoring organizations.

The Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) documented at least 1,232 civilian deaths in December, with 1,049 killed by regime forces, or more than 85 percent. ISIS is responsible, by this count, for just over 5 percent of the civilian deaths.

At least 30 activists throughout Syria compile information for the Violations Documentation Center in Syria (VDC) weekly report on victims of regime forces. From Nov. 29 to Jan. 2, the organization was able to identify 1,030 civilians killed by the regime by either their name, photo or witness testimony. The group reported 128 civilians killed by ISIS, the highest number reported for this time period.

The London-based Syrian Human Rights Committee documented 1,328 civilian deaths for December. Of those cases, the group confirmed 49 killings at the hands of ISIS, most of whom “were executed in the presence of their family members.”

The Assad regime, on the other hand, kills in vast numbers not by staging mass executions on the groundbut through frequent air attacks on civilian-heavy areas of Syria. Throughout the war, the regime has been accused of hundreds of arbitrary airstrikes and indiscriminate shelling, with death tolls ranging from five to 1,000 for a single attack.

“Hundreds of eyewitness testimonies and many pieces of evidence and proof suggest beyond any doubt that more than 90 percent of both widespread and single attacks targeted civilian and residential buildings,” the SNHR report stated. “This goes against the claims of Syrian government that it is fighting ‘al Qaeda and terrorism.’”

Statistics for regime victims also show a significantly higher number of women and children killed, a result of targeting civilian areas. On Dec. 23, regime warplanes reportedly targeted an elementary school in Eastern Ghouta, killing six children and wounding at least 30 others, according to the VDC.Photographic evidence of the attack is too gruesome for IBTimes to display.

A high percentage of the regime’s civilian casualties are victims of torture at one of the regime’s 27 torture centers documented by Human Rights Watch. An average of four people die every day in Syria from torture in government-run prisons, according to data from VCD and Syria Deeply previously compiled by IBTimes. Reports from various monitoring groups put the torture total for December between 88 and 197.

Lower fatality numbers for ISIS are not to be confused with a lesser degree of brutality. ISIS has engaged in mass civilian executions when it attempts to seize new territory. From June to November, ISIS militants killed nearly 1,500 Syrians, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.Of the 879 civilians among those, the majority were victims of the Sunni Shaitat tribe massacre earlier this year that left roughly 700 people dead. In November, IBTimes reported that militants stoned two men to death for “being gay” in Deir el-Zour.

The difference between ISIS and the regime’s brutality against civilians was tragically represented in the de facto ISIS headquarters of Raqqa one day in November. Regime airplanes carried out at least eight airstrikes on the city in the morning, killing at least 50 civilians. That afternoon, media activists told IBTimes, ISIS militants publicly executed two civilians in the city’s main square. Though they used different methods, and the numbers may be vastly different, the result is the same for Syria’s war-weary people.

Ruddy, why do you want us Christians to be killed? Do you have the Jew hate of Christians in you?

"Syrian Christian Leaders Call On U.S. To End Support For Anti-Assad Rebels"

"The stories told by five top Syrian Christian leaders about the horrors their churches are experiencing at the hands of Islamist extremists are biblical in their brutality.

Bishop Elias Toumeh, representative of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All the East, tells of the funeral he led ten days ago for the headless body of one of his parishioners in Marmarita. Rev. Adeeb Awad, vice moderator of the National Evangelical Synod of Syria and Lebanon, explains how the rebels blew up his church and then pointed the finger at the regime. Bishop Armash Nalbandian, primate of the Armenian Church of Damascus, says he received word on Facebook from a fellow bishop in Aleppo that two congregants were traveling when opposition fighters stopped their bus, made them present their Armenian IDs, and then took them away. The fighters, Nalbandian recounts, returned to the fellow passengers a few hours later with a box, which they said were cakes. Inside were the two Armenian heads.

Syrian Christians Ask US Washington to End Support For Rebels TIME.com

^^^^^
Still can't deny that Assad has murdered over 200,000 of his own people, can you?

As usual, you post propaganda. What's new.

its not propoganda it's the truth. Assad has been condemned by the entire international community, arab, Muslim, and Christian alike. As usual you are full of lies and hate.

It's propaganda and you are a Jew that hates Christians. You make that perfectly clear on the I/P forum. I am a Roman Catholic and I support all Christians. You are one of those Jews that hate Christians, you supported the spitting on Christian clergy in Israel by the Israeli Zionutters. You are an enemy of us Christians. Just remember, we are about 2 billion strong, your people number maybe 15 million. Piss us off and you are in trouble, and so are the Muslims, by the way. When we Christians get pissed off, there will be hell to pay, trust me.

"Syrian Christians: 'Help us to stay - stop arming terrorists'
Christianity is being extinguished in the land of its birth and the West is to blame, say Syria's faithful"

"It's simple," said Father Elias Hanout, 38, who led the prayers at Sunday's service. "If the West wants Syria to remain a country for Christian people, then help us to stay here; stop arming terrorists."

Forum List

Back