At what age should kids have cell phones?

22+ or when done with college. Honestly, human raced evolved just fine without them. :) I'm 42 and have never owned a portalble e-device of any sort.

When the parents allow it or when they are old enough to buy it and not under the protection of parental units.

For me, it was the moment that I asked, "Where have you been and why did you not tell me where you were going?" He said that he couldn't reach me. That happened twice. Age 12. It has not been a problem since. The parent-child relationship in my house is best defined as a dictatorship not a democracy.

Depends on the child and the situation. This type of phone would be the first I would consider.

“the smart phone for kids”. These phones are known for their parental controls. Parents can set spending and time limits and control a child’s address book by blocking certain numbers and can find their kids using the phone’s GPS locator. Parents can set up and monitor kids activity through the Kajeet website"

Cell Phone Parental Control from Kajeet

i agree that it is up to the parents and depends on the childs needs...we were not jumping on the band wagon for cell phones...i think my son got one around 16ish or so...he climbs....so he needed one (o right they work in the middle of nowhere right?)....but he got one...he ran the bill up one time...200 bucks...he paid it..slowly....now he has a smartphone and he shares gbytes with his father....*shakes heads sadly*

Considering how unsafe schools have become, in my opinion, there may not even be such a thing as too early anymore. :( :( :(

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Good question!

For my children, the two oldest got cell phones when they were in High School.
Just moved to a new city, etc, etc. They were Trac phones. I had control over how much they were used, and they were only used to keep in touch with 'mama base camp'.
Shoot, they had a cell phone before I did!

The youngest got a cell phone when Jr High started. Same type of phone as above.

One of the oldest still has the original phone.
The other one bought an iphone and pays for it.
Even I don't have an iphone!

When they get a job and can pay the bill themselves.

Over here you can buy a cheap mobile/cell phone for as little as £10, and most service providers will triple the amount of credit you buy, vastly extending your call time i.e. - but ten pounds' worth of credit and you'll get another twenty pounds' worth of call time on top of it.

I think a better question would be: 'At what age should kids have smart phones'?

When they go to school unless you take them back and forth, driving, walking ... Once they are taking the bus on their own, if there's a chance they might miss it and they're stuck somewhere by themselves, they need a phone.

Once they start High School. And they would have a pre paid only, and have to do chores around the house to pay for it.

When they go to school unless you take them back and forth, driving, walking ... Once they are taking the bus on their own, if there's a chance they might miss it and they're stuck somewhere by themselves, they need a phone.

That was my approach...plus, a few years ago, I got rid of the landline.

unless it is a cricket phone..... you know, big, ugly and dumb.... numbers, no texting, no internet, no camera....

They are old enough when they can work to buy one and pay for the service...... then they can have one!

until that time..... a cell phone for a kid should be nothing more then a leash for mom and dad to call them....or to call out when they are in trouble.

When they get a job and can pay the bill themselves.

Over here you can buy a cheap mobile/cell phone for as little as £10, and most service providers will triple the amount of credit you buy, vastly extending your call time i.e. - but ten pounds' worth of credit and you'll get another twenty pounds' worth of call time on top of it.

I think a better question would be: 'At what age should kids have smart phones'?

Carriers do have regular cell phones but they seem to be going towards a trend where most of the phones they sell are smart phones.

Forum List

Back