Athlete of the Decade: Diana Nyad

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
64 years old swims 104 miles in shark infested waters.

Diana Nyad completes historic Cuba-to-Florida swim - CNN.com

On Monday, she became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without a protective cage, willing her way to a Key West beach just before 2 p.m. ET, nearly 53 hours after jumping into the ocean in Havana for her fifth try in 35 years.
Nyad pumped her fist as she walked onto the beach toward an awaiting medic before being guided to an ambulance.
Diana Nyad 'getting a little cranky now'
"I got three messages," an exhausted and happy Nyad told reporters.
"One is we should never ever give up. Two is you never are too old to chase your dreams. Three is it looks like a solitary sport, but it's a team," she said.

Last edited:
Sharks, Jellyfish, currents, extreme fatigue.

She was starting to hallucinate by the end of her swim. A truly amazing athlete

She's fabulous! What an inspiring success!

"One is we should never ever give up. Two is you never are too old to chase your dreams. Three is it looks like a solitary sport, but it's a team," she said.

64 years old swims 104 miles in shark infested waters.

Diana Nyad completes historic Cuba-to-Florida swim - CNN.com

On Monday, she became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without a protective cage, willing her way to a Key West beach just before 2 p.m. ET, nearly 53 hours after jumping into the ocean in Havana for her fifth try in 35 years.
Nyad pumped her fist as she walked onto the beach toward an awaiting medic before being guided to an ambulance.
Diana Nyad 'getting a little cranky now'
Freaking 64. Damn.

We honor athletes every day who make a clutch shot or break some record. They have nothing personal on the line, they are not pushing themselves to the point of collapse

Nyad is unbelievable

What an amazing feat. The stamina, the discipline it took to swim those waters.

Great athlete and proves, if you set your mind to it, you can succeed.

LIke climbing Mt Everest, this was an utterly stupid and pointless thing to do, but it demonstrated that with dogged determination, even an old person can do remarkable things.

P.S. I will turn 64 on Monday.

Forum List

Back