Atlatls

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
Old cave dudes found a lever is a better way to throw a spear further. Much use in old Maya, Inca, atlatl actually means "over water". I can toss a 6 1/2 foot spear made out of arundo donax (sim to bamboo) about 100 yards. Couple cedar atlatls made in "basket weaver" style. The bird head one is from an autumn olive tree on my property. The other 2 also autumn olive, bone spurs, homebrew pine pitch adhesive and wax thread.
Azb1Set.jpg

ntLKncG.jpg

pnnNFDY.jpg

Great projectile weapon; silent and relatively easy to make. The first ones to discover this must have been delighted.

It was the first weapon system ever devised. I'm glad to see someone keeping the old ways alive. Very nice work!

It was the first weapon system ever devised. I'm glad to see someone keeping the old ways alive. Very nice work!

Yes, thank you. There many like me for sure. Spears and throwers are 100% handmade, natural materials and as they were back then. well a colored fletch sometimes but I have used wild turkey feathers and shot the turkey and ate it :)

"Fast Facts: Atlatl

• The atlatl or spearthrower is a hunting technology which was invented at least 17,000 years ago by Upper Paleolithic humans in Europe.
  • Atlatls give additional velocity and thrust compared to spear-throwing, and they allow the hunter to stand farther away from the prey.
  • They are called atlatls, because that's what the Aztecs were calling them when the Spanish arrived. Unfortunately for the Spanish, the Europeans had forgotten how to use them."

I've used one. They're a bitch and it takes a shitload of practice to become proficient.
That is what my impression was; a great deal of practice to become proficient, but then a huge advantage in hunting over simple throwing and stabbing. However, the bow and arrow, while more difficult to make, are another level of improvement.

I've used one. They're a bitch and it takes a shitload of practice to become proficient.
That is what my impression was; a great deal of practice to become proficient, but then a huge advantage in hunting over simple throwing and stabbing. However, the bow and arrow, while more difficult to make, are another level of improvement.

The hardest part is getting the throwing motion down.

Takes much practice. I has a few round bales of hay in a field. I marking painted a bullseye. Took awhile but I could get one out of 3 in that bull at about 25 yards. Bows have had improvements since they came about. Mollebegat is 10000 year old design, Mongolian uses the same principle. About 1 foot near the nock points is not bendable. The center section bends, the stiff limbs whip the arrow harder, lever motion. Pic of a takedown mollebegat in another thread.

Forum List

Back