Atmospheric Physics

polarbear

I eat morons
Jan 1, 2011
Canada

...No the pictures after the anti matter pictures these are Ice clouds...not "Chinese aerosol"

Enjoy

Überraschender Fund: Satellit entdeckt Antimaterie über Gewitterwolken - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Überraschender Fund: Satellit entdeckt Antimaterie über Gewitterwolken
(Satellite detects anti matter above thunderstorm clouds)
I`m not entirely sure yet if that was Der Spiegel`s idea of an April fools joke but NASA did make the same announcements having observed
with the Fermi telescope which has been detecting more anti-matter in space than was expected and launched another satellite specifically designed to detect anti-matter.
So did Michael Briggs, University of Alabama in Huntsville, mentioning these fascinating anti-matter bursts.. and some of these anti matter cloud bursts have also been detected by the ISS.
image-479749-breitwandaufmacher-vdwc.jpg

Some of the pictures are just an artistic rendition but the very real thunder cloud "anvil head" in picture #3 is awesome

image-168641-galleryV9-cdjl.jpg

image-168639-galleryV9-atog.jpg

Never mind the airbrushed- in anti- matter that massive anvil head is an awesome display of convection at work.

image-168640-galleryV9-cdnl.jpg

image-168664-galleryV9-hthe.jpg

image-168644-galleryV9-abcd.jpg

image-168662-galleryV9-btyy.jpg

Here are some more fascinating atmospheric events:
Ice clouds over
Szubin, Poland during a night in June, reflecting sun light

image-368362-galleryV9-elih.jpg

Glowing "Night cloud" over southern Spain:
image-369183-galleryV9-khjq.jpg

Glowing Ice Cloud over Germany June 14 2012
image-369180-galleryV9-cyiw.jpg

image-369179-galleryV9-prft.jpg

image-368165-galleryV9-uwkq.jpg

Nasa picture Dec 31 2009
image-368187-galleryV9-jlqd.jpg

Summer Night Ice cloud over Mannheim Germany
image-368166-galleryV9-bwfn.jpg

image-368163-galleryV9-qotu.jpg

View from the ISS looking at an Ice cloud horizon:
image-368125-galleryV9-peix.jpg

image-367999-galleryV9-eciu.jpg

A passenger en route to Frankfurt Germany snapped this night ice cloud August 2008
image-370620-galleryV9-wdcx.jpg

Germany`s Leibnitz Institute for Atmospheric Research probing Ice clouds with a "Lidar"...=range finding Laser

image-369191-galleryV9-npbu.jpg

image-369185-galleryV9-mosd.jpg

As you can see from The Leibnitz Lidar Rangefinder these Ice clouds are massive and reach as high as 87 kilometers
The scale on the right is the luminescence

Summer night ice cloud over Bremerhaven:
image-368128-galleryV9-blyh.jpg

image-369175-galleryV9-cvfq.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Gorgeous pictures, indeed.

Thanks..You are welcome.
Thanks again for sharing your every day life in Oregon.
I love Oregon...as long as the don`t serve up rattle snakes in that restaurant where I got that fantastic road snack.
I`m no coward, but I would definitely chicken out eating a rattle snake with you. I have no doubt you are an excellent cook and it would be tasty, maybe even look like fried shrimp...which to me is a culinary eye candy.
But as soon as you were to tell me what`s in the frying pan I`ld run for the hills.

Yup that took some effort there. Thanks.

You are very welcome. It was no problem but please thank Commander Chris Hadfield who uploaded most of these pictures for the German "Spiegel.de" magazine.
You can thank the ISS Cmdr C.Hadfield in person here:
https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/status/319784236859146240
image-473603-galleryV9-tlnt.jpg

P.S. He answers almost everybody who has a specific question
Here is a link to some more of the pictures he uploaded.
Click through the gallery and enjoy:
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos-astronaut-don-pettit-gibt-tipps-fotostrecke-94487.html

If you want me to translate any of the text don`t hesitate to post it and I`ll gladly do it

Last edited:

Forum List

Back