Attorney: $4 verdict meant to "punish" family of man shot by police in his garage

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
Oh I wonder how long it will take the left to make this a race issue. A drunken black man who pulled an empty gun on an officer was shot and killed, and the jury awarded the family after a frivolous lawsuit:

So, Phillips explained to CBS News, no matter what number the jury returned with, the family would not have been awarded financial compensation. Still, they awarded Hill's mother $1 for funeral expenses, and each of Hill's children $1 for the loss of their father and their future pain and suffering.

While most lawsuits are unsuccessful, the cost of litigation is very high. It's one of the reasons our healthcare is what it is along with pharmaceutical products just to name a few. What we need in this country is a national Tort Reform. Boy wouldn't that drive the liberals crazy.,

4 dollar verdict meant to "punish" family of man shot by police in Florida, Gregory Hill's attorney says - CBS News

Still, at least his 2nd Amendment right to be shot for carrying an unloaded gun in his back pocket was recognised. And wasn't he a tough fella to get it back there after being shot in the head.

Still, at least his 2nd Amendment right to be shot for carrying an unloaded gun in his back pocket was recognised. And wasn't he a tough fella to get it back there after being shot in the head.

The article didn't really say. Maybe he was reaching for the gun when he was shot. WTF is a person doing in their own garage drunk with a gun in the first place?

The family got $4, but the lawyers got several hundred thousand. That is what happens with these low award cases.

The article didn't really say. Maybe he was reaching for the gun when he was shot. WTF is a person doing in their own garage drunk with a gun in the first place?

According to the article, he lifted the garage door, looked out, then put it down again. And that was when police opened fire. It sounds like they shot through the garage door.

The family got $4, but the lawyers got several hundred thousand. That is what happens with these low award cases.

Maybe, but the question is what did it cost the taxpayers?

I like what they do in England. Sue anybody you want. But if you lose, you are responsible for all the costs of the person you tried to sue. You'd see how fast this nonsense would stop.

I like what they do in England. Sue anybody you want. But if you lose, you are responsible for all the costs of the person you tried to sue. You'd see how fast this nonsense would stop.
Except they won, so the lawyers get paid. Yes, that bottomless source of other peoples money called 'tax payer dollars'.

Except they won, so the lawyers get paid. Yes, that bottomless source of other peoples money called 'tax payer dollars'.

A police (or citizen) shooting is either justified or it's not. If it's justified, there should be a law that you can't sue anybody. If not justified, then the sky is the limit.

We CCW holders are faced with the exact same dilemma. If I injure or kill somebody in self-defense, and the police rule it justified, I can still get sued in civil court for protecting myself.

We elected a businessman to run our country and have had great results. Maybe it's time we stop electing lawyers to serve in Congress and Senate as well. Maybe then we will see a change of law for the benefit of the innocent.

^^^ Amen to that. At the end of the day, that family only set up their own selves for the humiliation that they went on to endure.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back