avian flu and rising egg prices....

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
egg prices are rising due to the culling of 25% of the egg layers due to disease...

11665393_10152923345381905_3259484508152823394_n.jpg

Avian Flu Outbreak Among Chicken

now as a chicken farmer....i have a vested interested in this but consider this...if i wanted eggs this winter that were affordable i would be hooking up with a local chicken farmer...go to a local farmers market and start building bridges....eggs are not the only things that are going this way and people need to find local food sources...

be warned many farmers are like me....when the shit hits the fan we close down and go into survival mode ....supplying our families and regulars customers....i am afraid the eggs will become like our honey....we no longer go to market...we can sell it all without having to market it...i have back orders now....not a quart or two but cases....fucking lazy fucking bees

the reason back yard flocks or chicken farmers are gonna make it.....even with the avian flu being air borne...is the feeding system.....we allow heritage birds to forage...even with the new costly pens....they have plenty of room and we alternate pens....so they do not end up in the dirt all the time...we are planning on a future 3rd pen...when we can afford the fencing....we do not crowd hens etc and we do not normally force laying with artificial lighting

the life of a large production farm is miserable...for the animals

When the heat hits and the cold bites the eggs will not flow like the honey....
I can get brown eggs around here for 2 bucks a dozen all day long...

or when fucking predators get your laying hens....2 bucks is a great price for eggs....do you return the cartons...

Forum List

Back