AZ Police Officer Acted "Within Policy" Assaulting 15-Year Old Girl...

She had been in a 'fight' with a teacher at her school. Then she'd walked out before the police came. The school called the police. The cops were looking for her. He didn't need evidence of the street fight to take her into custody: the school had reported her; that is why the police were there, to take her into custody. Though three supervisors of the police force agreed what he did was within policy, he was disciplined, a 40 hour suspension, by a new police chief. It looks like the police chief wanted to make an example of this guy because the new chief is afraid of the media claiming officers use excessive force. I don't see anything wrong in what he did. You don't treat them differently because they are female or only 15: as I've said several times in this thread, I've been around kids like this. They are big, they are rough and brutish, they don't care who they hurt, they are frightening and dangerous. This kid had had a physical atercation with a teacher and was in a physical altercation with her mother in the street. She is a physically violent person, and she is not small and fragile by any means. I have no problem with what he did. I agree with the 3 supervisors who said he acted appropriately. I think the police chief is pandering to the media.

Tell me something, if you are right why was he suspended for 5 days after his supervisors saw the video?

Phoenix officer calls 5-day suspension too harsh

I explained that. The new police chief making a name for himself. Using this guy to make an example of how tough the new chief will be on officers using excessive force. Basically, pandering to the media. Using the officers below himself to build himself up. He's not going to be a popular police chief when he goes against, overules, the opinion of 3 superivisors. Nope.

You have an excuse for everything. Your theory doesn't explain why the board recommended a 4 day suspension, care to rationalize that one away too? Wouldn't it be easier to admit you are wrong?

Tell me something, if you are right why was he suspended for 5 days after his supervisors saw the video?

Phoenix officer calls 5-day suspension too harsh

I explained that. The new police chief making a name for himself. Using this guy to make an example of how tough the new chief will be on officers using excessive force. Basically, pandering to the media. Using the officers below himself to build himself up. He's not going to be a popular police chief when he goes against, overules, the opinion of 3 superivisors. Nope.

You have an excuse for everything. Your theory doesn't explain why the board recommended a 4 day suspension, care to rationalize that one away too? Wouldn't it be easier to admit you are wrong?

A police officer in Phoenix, Arizona has been placed on administrative leave while allegations of excessive force are investigated regarding a video that has surfaced that appears to show him tackling a 15-year-old girl.

According to ABC15, the teenager was removed from Ombudsman Charter School after being found drunk and sharing alcohol with other students. When the girl's mother came to pick her up, an altercation began in the parking lot and police were called.

A video posted on YouTube shows the girl struggling to break free from her mother and then walking away as police arrived on the scene. At about 1:57 in the video, you can see the officer chasing her and knocking her to the ground.

Police said the girl was belligerent and attempting to evade Officer Patrick Larrison, who used an "impact push" to stop her and handcuff her. Fox News reports the girl was charged with aggravated assault for striking a school employee in addition to making threats to officers.

The incident occurred January 25, but wasn't brought to the department's attention until late Tuesday when the video sparked claims of excessive force.

"That type of video is very concerning to us," police Sgt. Trent Crump said. "What you see in the video is of great concern to the Phoenix Police Department about how a member of this community was treated."

Police say Officer Larrison is a 6 1/2-year veteran with no history of use of force incidents. A criminal and internal investigation of his actions will determine whether or not he faces a felony charge of aggravated assault since a juvenile was involved.

The girl, whose name has not been released, was uninjured.
The girl was drunk and violent. She was not injured in the tackle. The department was not going to do anything about it until the video appeared on youtube. The police chief is afraid of the media, so they displined the guy: fear of media. That's why he is being disciplined. Her mother had no problem with what happened. The school, a last chance charter school for at risk kids, kicked her out permanently. This happened 2 years ago. No one was going to do anything about it until it turned up on youtube and the police dept got afraid of their image being damaged because of the media, so they made a token slap on the wrist. Fear of media is what his being disciplined is all about. It is not a matter of me being right or wrong: it is my opinion. I don't see this as police brutality. I ask you to tell me what he was supposed to do in order to take her into custody. What should he have done as she was walking away? As she was drunk and violent? Should he risk his own safety? When she takes off in a run, should he chase her through the streets and endanger other people? Should he just let her go?

Last edited:
Bullshit. This is absolutely not in the video. Absolutely does not exist. When she was on the ground, he did not slam her head into the wall. Absolutely not. She was clearly not knocked out. She was indeed trying to flee him. It is clear in the video he was calling out to her as he followed her and she ignored him. At the point she turned her head around, it was probably to see how close he was. She didn't look like she was either stopping or surrendering.

She also does not at all appeared to be knocked out.

This is not a case of police brutality.

Watch the video again.

The girl is being held in what appears to be a headlock by the other woman. The girl is clearly trying to get away. If you are being held in a headlock like that, chances are, you are not the guilty party. The video tells me that this girl was a victim of assault.

The cop clams her to the ground - she DOES turn around, but never has a chance to stop before the cop is upon her.
From 1.16 to 1.24 she is lying quite still on the ground, giving me the impression that she took a pretty nasty knock to the head.

Apparently you see her resisting arrest. Obviously you need to watch the video again, more carefully this time.

Just dealing with the part in bold print....now that we KNOW the other person in the video is the girl's MOTHER, it is logical to believe that even if you are correct that the other woman was preventing her from leaving, that is what I would expect from a mother trying to gain control of her alcohol influenced teenager.

It is not illegal to walk away from a crime scene, even if you are the fracking person who caused the crime.
When you are the suspect and a cop is telling you to stop it certainly is.

No need to involve the police, no need to sit around with your thumbs up your ass waiting for the police. In fact, if you have an accident, and someone else calls the police, and both drivers are satisfied, you are still not obligated to wait for the police.
You are so ignorant it is painful to watch. You are confusing a civil matter (traffic accident) with the criminal offense of assault.

Does anyone think the cop witnessed what happened?

Based on when the police vehicle arrived in the view I DO NOT believe he SAW what had occurred, but I DO believe that the mother and the bystanders who pulled up in the two other vehicles had plenty of time to TELL HIM WHAT THEY WITNESSED. At this point he has probable cause to apprehend her.

Folks please remember.....he knows more about what was going on at that point than we do because the audio in this clip does not tell us what was said by whom.

A police officer in Phoenix, Arizona has been placed on administrative leave while allegations of excessive force are investigated regarding a video that has surfaced that appears to show him tackling a 15-year-old girl.

According to ABC15, the teenager was removed from Ombudsman Charter School after being found drunk and sharing alcohol with other students. When the girl's mother came to pick her up, an altercation began in the parking lot and police were called.

A video posted on YouTube shows the girl struggling to break free from her mother and then walking away as police arrived on the scene. At about 1:57 in the video, you can see the officer chasing her and knocking her to the ground.

Police said the girl was belligerent and attempting to evade Officer Patrick Larrison, who used an "impact push" to stop her and handcuff her. Fox News reports the girl was charged with aggravated assault for striking a school employee in addition to making threats to officers.

The incident occurred January 25, but wasn't brought to the department's attention until late Tuesday when the video sparked claims of excessive force.

"That type of video is very concerning to us," police Sgt. Trent Crump said. "What you see in the video is of great concern to the Phoenix Police Department about how a member of this community was treated."

Police say Officer Larrison is a 6 1/2-year veteran with no history of use of force incidents. A criminal and internal investigation of his actions will determine whether or not he faces a felony charge of aggravated assault since a juvenile was involved.

The girl was drunk and violent. She was not injured in the tackle. The department was not going to do anything about it until the video appeared on youtube. The police chief is afraid of the media, so they displined the guy: fear of media. That's why he is being disciplined. Her mother had no problem with what happened. The school, a last chance charter school for at risk kids, kicked her out permanently. This happened 2 years ago. No one was going to do anything about it until it turned up on youtube and the police dept got afraid of their image being damaged because of the media, so they made a token slap on the wrist. Fear of media is what his being disciplined is all about. It is not a matter of me being right or wrong: it is my opinion. I don't see this as police brutality. I ask you to tell me what he was supposed to do in order to take her into custody. What should he have done as she was walking away? As she was drunk and violent? Should he risk his own safety? When she takes off in a run, should he chase her through the streets and endanger other people? Should he just let her go?

Let me clear something up for you, I couldn't care less what she did. If you provided absolute proof that she had been roasting babies in her backyard that cop would still be wrong. She had every right to walk away from the teacher who was fighting with her, and she should have been arrested for attacking her.

Another note, the fact that she walked away is not proof she was uninjured. We are finding out that head injuries are a lot more serious than we previously realized, and that current technology often misses the damage unless there is a comprehensive examination. The group that is most at risk right now is teenage females who play soccer, they are much more likely to suffer lasting damage than boys the same age who play football. You can get up on your high horse all day long, you cannot claim with certainty that she was uninjured.

The disciplinary board agrees with me.

Bullshit. This is absolutely not in the video. Absolutely does not exist. When she was on the ground, he did not slam her head into the wall. Absolutely not. She was clearly not knocked out. She was indeed trying to flee him. It is clear in the video he was calling out to her as he followed her and she ignored him. At the point she turned her head around, it was probably to see how close he was. She didn't look like she was either stopping or surrendering.

She also does not at all appeared to be knocked out.

This is not a case of police brutality.

Watch the video again.

The girl is being held in what appears to be a headlock by the other woman. The girl is clearly trying to get away. If you are being held in a headlock like that, chances are, you are not the guilty party. The video tells me that this girl was a victim of assault.

The cop clams her to the ground - she DOES turn around, but never has a chance to stop before the cop is upon her.
From 1.16 to 1.24 she is lying quite still on the ground, giving me the impression that she took a pretty nasty knock to the head.

Apparently you see her resisting arrest. Obviously you need to watch the video again, more carefully this time.

Just dealing with the part in bold print....now that we KNOW the other person in the video is the girl's MOTHER, it is logical to believe that even if you are correct that the other woman was preventing her from leaving, that is what I would expect from a mother trying to gain control of her alcohol influenced teenager.

Actually, we don't know that. The news story I found said she got into a fight with a teacher. I am pretty sure that teachers are not supposed to hold students.

By the way, even if that was her mother, there is no way that a random cop would know that.

It is not illegal to walk away from a crime scene, even if you are the fracking person who caused the crime.
When you are the suspect and a cop is telling you to stop it certainly is.

No need to involve the police, no need to sit around with your thumbs up your ass waiting for the police. In fact, if you have an accident, and someone else calls the police, and both drivers are satisfied, you are still not obligated to wait for the police.
You are so ignorant it is painful to watch. You are confusing a civil matter (traffic accident) with the criminal offense of assault.

If a cop ever tells me to stop I will ask him if I am being detained. If the answer is no I will then ask if I am free to leave. If the answer to that is yes I will walk away, and he will not be able to stop me, even if I am a suspect.

By the way, I am not confusing anything because, as I pointed out, it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, even a minor one.

Last edited:

Let me clear something up for you, I couldn't care less what she did. If you provided absolute proof that she had been roasting babies in her backyard that cop would still be wrong. She had every right to walk away from the teacher who was fighting with her, and she should have been arrested for attacking her.

Another note, the fact that she walked away is not proof she was uninjured. We are finding out that head injuries are a lot more serious than we previously realized, and that current technology often misses the damage unless there is a comprehensive examination. The group that is most at risk right now is teenage females who play soccer, they are much more likely to suffer lasting damage than boys the same age who play football. You can get up on your high horse all day long, you cannot claim with certainty that she was uninjured.

You clearly need to be 'right.' This is about opinions. I don't agree. What he did was not police brutality, it was not excessive force. The three police supervisors agree with me. The board and the police chief have a vested interest in playing to the media; the supervisors don't. This was 2 years ago: she was not injured. Her mother found nothing wrong with what happened. There has been no lawsuit over this claiming injuries. This is not a female soccer player. This is a female thug. A drunken, violent thug who struck a teacher at school. Who blew her last chance at a charter school for at risk kids: she was obviously at risk due to behavior problems. She's a loser in life who needs to get herself together and act like a civilized human being or she will have worse than this to deal with in the future. Charter schools for at-risk kids do not permanently expel students for nothing: you really have to fuck up big time to get kicked out of a place like that.

Last edited:
If a cop ever tells me to stop I will ask him if I am being detained. If the answer is no I will then ask if I am free to leave. If the answer to that is yes I will walk away, and he will not be able to stop me, even if I am a suspect.
Hey that is a really cool story, will you tell it again?

But back on topic, if you are the suspect of a crime and a police officer tells you to stop you must comply or you can be charged. The charge varies by state by will be something along the lines of flight, eluding, resisting, etc.

Watch the video again.

Actually, we don't know that. The news story I found said she got into a fight with a teacher. I am pretty sure that teachers are not supposed to hold students.

By the way, even if that was her mother, there is no way that a random cop would know that.

A) The incident with the teacher took place somewhere else.....earlier than this video

B) We DO know that. It was clearly stated in several news accounts of the video incident that the other person in the altercation was her mother AND that this issue sprang from an earlier alcohol related incident at school.

C) I never said anything about a teacher holding anyone.

D) There is a way the cop would know this. There were three witnesses plus the girl's mother talking to the police prior to to the officer pursuing the girl.

Now....what was your point?

Last edited:

You clearly need to be 'right.' This is about opinions. I don't agree. What he did was not police brutality, it was not excessive force. The three police supervisors agree with me. The board and the police chief have a vested interest in playing to the media; the supervisors don't. This was 2 years ago: she was not injured. Her mother found nothing wrong with what happened. There has been no lawsuit over this claiming injuries. This is not a female soccer player. This is a female thug. A drunken, violent thug who struck a teacher at school. Who blew her last chance at a charter school for at risk kids: she was obviously at risk due to behavior problems. She's a loser in life who needs to get herself together and act like a civilized human being or she will have worse than this to deal with in the future. Charter schools for at-risk kids do not permanently expel students for nothing: you really have to fuck up big time to get kicked out of a place like that.

Actually, you need me to be right. If I am wrong, and you are right, we have a world where police can randomly beat the crap out of people just because they are cops. I can guarantee that, if we ever get that type of world, you will end up wishing you had listened to me.

This is not a debate about opinions, I just used the review board findings to try to provide you with enough evidence that you are wrong for you to be able to wake up. I failed, but I will keep on arguing with you, or anyone else, that thinks cops can use force for no reason.

Hey that is a really cool story, will you tell it again?

But back on topic, if you are the suspect of a crime and a police officer tells you to stop you must comply or you can be charged. The charge varies by state by will be something along the lines of flight, eluding, resisting, etc.

I can be charged even if I cooperate. I can provide countless examples of people being charged with resisting arrest when they were lying on the ground, cuffed, and being beaten by the cops. the mere fact that I can be charged is not proof of anything other than cops have way to much leeway to charge people who are minding their own business.

Please, keep arguing with me.

A) The incident with the teacher took place somewhere else.....earlier than this video

B) We DO know that. It was clearly stated in several news accounts of the video incident that the other person in the altercation was her mother AND that this issue sprang from an earlier alcohol related incident at school.

C) I never said anything about a teacher holding anyone.

D) There is a way the cop would know this. There were three witnesses plus the girl's mother talking to the police prior to to the officer pursuing the girl.

Now....what was your point?

A) Feel free to provide a link that contradicts the finding of the review board, that should prove helpful to the officer. Not sure why he didn't introduce that himself, but it should still help.

B) Never said you did, I was pointing out that your assumption that it was the mother was wrong.

C) The police were not there long enough to actually talk to anyone, all they got was a garbled story from a bunch of hysterical adults wearing school IDs. If he jumped to the conclusion that the girl was going to kill someone as a result he was still wrong, which explains why he got suspended.

Actually, you need me to be right. If I am wrong, and you are right, we have a world where police can randomly beat the crap out of people just because they are cops. I can guarantee that, if we ever get that type of world, you will end up wishing you had listened to me.

This is not a debate about opinions, I just used the review board findings to try to provide you with enough evidence that you are wrong for you to be able to wake up. I failed, but I will keep on arguing with you, or anyone else, that thinks cops can use force for no reason.

Wow.... If the bold type is what you got out of that video then you live in a very interesting framework. You are reading waaaay too much into it. What we have here is a police officer who probably had several options for how to apprehend a recalcitrant teenager. He may not have chosen the best one, but he certainly did not choose the worst option. And he chose an EFFECTIVE one. Was it a rough tackle? Yes. Brutality? Heck no. Did her head hit the wall in the course of the tackle? Yup. Did he plan it that way. Doubt it. If so there are some NFL scouts that oughta talk to him, 'cause he got skillz!

There are so many legitimate examples of police brutality that need to be addressed, pointing in "differences in approach" like this incident dilutes people's sensitivity to dealing with REAL incidences of abuse. I don't want to live in a world where police can comfortably abuse their power. I've seen that play. I also DO NOT want to live in a world where police officers have to second guess their every action.

Last edited:
You clearly need to be 'right.' This is about opinions. I don't agree. What he did was not police brutality, it was not excessive force. The three police supervisors agree with me.[...]
Esmeralda,

A patrol supervisor is a Sergeant. One step above the Patrolman rank. He is still "one of the guys" in all but the most egregious examples of misconduct. A patrol supervisor continues to become involved in street level activities so the "thin blue line" principle of "us vs them" (non-police) continues to apply. A patrol supervisor will go after a Patrolman in matters of disrepect and/or disobedience to orders, but where conflict with the public or Press is concerned he will do his best to protect another cop. He has to, because he is out there on the streets with them.

Police officers above the rank of supervisor, such as the Chief who suspended the cop in this case, are called administrators. They are concerned with public relations and, although they once were Patrolmen and Sergeants, they view incidents of this nature from a much broader perspective. They take into consideration such factors as why was it necessary for the Patrolman in this example to exercise the kind of force which would be appropriate in apprehending a fleeing felon?

A police administrator considers such factors as public perception and how a Patrolman's conduct reflects on the Department. In this example, even though the subject probably deserved the thumping she got, and possibly more, she still is a 15 year-old girl and he is a burly, armed, authoritative police officer. In the view of a police administrator, the Patrolman exercised bad judgment by using apparently excessive force which has resulted in a public relations problem.

Bottom line: A smarter cop would have behaved differently. He would realize right from the start that even if the belligerent, misbehaving babe got away it would be no big deal and she could be picked up later. She was not a robber, or a murderer -- not even a shoplifter. So it is clear this Patrolman is inclined to use excessive force rather than decisive judgment and a suspension probably will serve to adjust his thinking in the future.

Last edited:
He will be quite popular if he applies the humanitarian treatment of his employers, the public, as law and tradition demand.

"The police chief is afraid of the media,..."

Didn't someone once say, "The people should not be afraid of the government. The government should be afraid of the people"?

The media are part of 'the people'.

Replace woman with child in your post.
Huh ?

The "woman" in the video is a 15 year old girl.
Wow, did not know she was 15, as I let that slip by me when read the OP. Yikes!

It is amazing to me that the young woman as is spoken about in the video, and for whom I was watching when viewed, was actually only 15 years old....wow.. Sure fooled me, as she looked like a hardened street walkin thug in the video, who was whaling away on her victim until the cops got there. Not even the good citizens wanted a piece of the action in order to stop her, and this no matter what age she was.

They were scared of this 15 year old..

Forum List

Back