Banks report as investors face ‘the worst time ever’ to buy stocks

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
JP Morgan missed this morning. Stocks are under big-time pressure. I have been riding the 10 year down in the dirt

-Geaux

Back in 2009, Goldman CEO Lloyd Blankfein regaled us with his epic “doing God’s work” quote. Fast forward a few years, and Jamie Dimon gives us his own, toned-down version.

Running J.P. Morgan is “the best I can do” for the world, he told Fox Business. Why? Because the bank helps countries. And veterans. Governments. Sovereign wealth funds. Charities. The unemployed. Maybe even orphans and stray puppies. You know, more God’s work.

In fact, God himself, via his unverified Twitter account, can totally relate.

For today’s purposes, we’ll see what Dimon has done to help investors over the past few months. Along with Wells Fargo, J.P. Morgan hands in results from a financial sector that is expected to lag the S&P on earnings and revenue for the fourth-quarter, according to FactSet.

Disappointments won’t go over well in this climate.

Meanwhile, copper prices are plunging to 2009 lows. This probably used to mean more than it does these days, but if bears needed more ammo to back their crash calls, they got it (check out the call and the chart of the day for some serious red-flag waving).

As for volatility, expect lots more of it. Tuesday marked the first time in almost four years that the S&P was up at least 1.4% before closing down for the day.

History tells us we should be worried about this much movement to start the year. It’s still early, obviously, but the S&P is on pace to post 126 sessions of 1% moves, according to Chad Gassaway. Going back to 1950, only six years have posted more than 100 sessions like that. Of those six, only one has closed higher for the year. The other five delivered bigtime, double-digit carnage.

“While volatility has given opportunities to shorter time frame traders, investors have struggled over the longer term,” Gassaway said. “Such an increase in volatility is concerning at minimum.”

Banks report as investors face the worst time ever to buy stocks - MarketWatch

Oh no, another rwer's catastrophic prognostication....surprised it's not from the Motley Fool.

We are indeed on the 2008 path. Oil as well as housing was dropping and good for America... right?

Um- It didn't stop the financial collapse

Maybe this time will be different IDK. The 10 yr seems to think history repeats itself

-Geaux

it used to be a 7 year business cycle....What I dislike is the financial industry has picked up on fear mongering advertisement...They used to try and sell you goodies with a positive reinforcement...

it used to be a 7 year business cycle....What I dislike is the financial industry has picked up on fear mongering advertisement...They used to try and sell you goodies with a positive reinforcement...

Meh- I guess that's why everyone is flocking to bonds. It's a real dicey time right now in the markets

-Geaux

It always can be, but I prefer business ownership or land...I was never very good at poker,,,,so stocks and bonds are out for me...

Forum List

Back