Baseball- Let Them Strike

Actually, they did raise it to $700,000 minimum

They also started a pool to give bonuses to starting players who have outstanding performance

Think Aaron Judge and Pete Alonso hitting 50 homers their Rookie years and getting paid $600,000
How does one live on a mere $700K?
Again, major league sports is only for the rich and connected now. Good to see you acknowledge the Left are only concerned about the rich.

I don’t give a shit. The average family of four can’t afford to even attend a game today where as it was a common location to attend.
The average family of 4 lived in a 1000 sqft house with 2-3 bedrooms and a single bathroom then as well, had 1 car, no cell phones, no cable, no streaming service, no internet, etc. Shit changes.

The average career length is 2.7 years. Most guys who play in the MLB dont earn generational wealth doing it.
That’s a career choice. Like being first violin in the Boston pops. Much like football players building themselves up to 350 lbs but never make the NFL, life is filled with choices with known consequences.

Limited commodity? No, they’re just better at it than others.
So pay players $700M then. Either way the sports killed itself.
Do you have any idea who few people can actually play baseball at that level? It's a minuscule percentage of the population. My kid is really pretty good. Practices for hours outside his HS/Summer ball team. He will probably get to play D1 college ball but the chances of him ever even making the minor leagues are small let alone playing for a MLB team. I have friend who's kid was drafted in the first round. He's an amazing player, but he's struggled to stick and get a starting job. Unless youre a pitcher (and a really good one) it's basically winning the lottery.

Do you have any idea who few people can actually play baseball at that level? It's a minuscule percentage of the population. My kid is really pretty good. Practices for hours outside his HS/Summer ball team. He will probably get to play D1 college ball but the chances of him ever even making the minor leagues are small let alone playing for a MLB team. I have friend who's kid was drafted in the first round. He's an amazing player, but he's struggled to stick and get a starting job. Unless youre a pitcher (and a really good one) it's basically winning the lottery.
Anyone can play MLB. They just select the best of the group that wants to play.

That’s a career choice. Like being first violin in the Boston pops. Much like football players building themselves up to 350 lbs but never make the NFL, life is filled with choices with known consequences.
Right. They are choosing a path that has a very high risk of not panning out. Thus the reward is high. You have to invest a ton of money, time and effort on the front end of any pro sports career, with little to no prospect of getting even a fraction of that investment back. There has to be a huge possible pay off at the end of that road if you expect anyone to get on it.

The average career length is 2.7 years. Most guys who play in the MLB dont earn generational wealth doing it.

The problem is with the athlete who does hang in there for a decade or 2 like a 'Tom Brady,' but it's still never enough! Aaron Rodgers demanded and got Mahomes money with a 3 year, $150 M contract and hasn't won a conference game in over 10 years! That's balls for the MVP of the league IMO! :rolleyes: :itsok::dunno::eek:

No they cant. I cant. You cant. 99.999% people cant. Because no one is going to pay 50 cents to come watch people who suck at baseball play.
I can play MLB in my senior years. They just don’t want me because 27 million can do it better than me. But anyone can play MLB.
If they fired all MLB and brought up minor leaguers that would still be MLB.

The problem is with the athlete who does hang in there for a decade or 2 like a 'Tom Brady,' but it's still never enough! Aaron Rodgers demanded and got Mahomes money with a 3 year, $150 M contract and hasn't won a conference game in over 10 years! That's balls for the MVP of the league IMO! :rolleyes: :itsok::dunno::eek:
That's certainly part of the reason so few people get to play. An MLB team carries maybe 20 position players that's 600 dudes who aren't pitchers who are on a roster. You can only start 8. There just arent many spaces for the pool of people who want them.

I can play MLB in my senior years. They just don’t want me because 27 million can do it better than me. But anyone can play MLB.
If they fired all MLB and brought up minor leaguers that would still be MLB.
There are far more than 27 million people who can play baseball better than you.

Right. They are choosing a path that has a very high risk of not panning out. Thus the reward is high. You have to invest a ton of money, time and effort on the front end of any pro sports career, with little to no prospect of getting even a fraction of that investment back. There has to be a huge possible pay off at the end of that road if you expect anyone to get on it.
Like I said in the OP, we got a lot of great players and regular people could afford to go.
Ty Cobb made roughly $200K in our dollars.

I haven’t gone to a MLB game in 25 years, dinglehopper.

Then why are you polluting the thread?
these people havent learned anything from the last 2 strikes....fuck them....

The owners had a golden opportunity to break the players' union in 1994, and bungled it. They didn't have that chance this time.

How many former MLB players do you know? The ones I know had to get real jobs except one who made it big.

That's because they did not handle their money wisely.

Forum List

Back