beer is important science

scruffy

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2022
Brewing beer is why we settled ... the reason for civilization ... why we developed agriculture ... and most importantly it was to a brewery that James Watt sold his first steam engine ... marking the beginning of the industrial age ...

Beer, it's how we reproduce ...

My brother loved his study of the science of making beer.

At his memorial, the timing was perfect to celebrate his life with a glass of the last batch he ever brewed, a honey lager.

I tried making beer and wine and it didn't turn out well....
Some folks have it and some like me do not... but I'm the best taster around so send your beer samples to Rambunctious care of USMB....LOL
I suck at making Whiskey, but my rum is excellent. Not sure why. The process is almost the same.

I suck at making Whiskey, but my rum is excellent. Not sure why. The process is almost the same.
Do you age your whisky?

The raw stuff is a little raw sometimes.

Bourbon for instance acquires a lot of its flavor from the casks.

I tried making beer and wine and it didn't turn out well....
Some folks have it and some like me do not... but I'm the best taster around so send your beer samples to Rambunctious care of USMB....LOL

I'd probably have a hard time since I moved from the Northwest to the Midwest.

I used to be able to do a great job with sauerkraut and ginger beer -- just more of the science of fermentation -- but since I moved, my fermentation mojo has gone belly up.

Do you age your whisky?

The raw stuff is a little raw sometimes.

Bourbon for instance acquires a lot of its flavor from the casks.
Yep. I zap everything in microwave for a few seconds (Helps remove the light end nasties that got past the cuts) and then age everything in 5 liter charred oak kegs with charred cherrywood chips. Been studying up on high tech aging techniques that mechanically cycle pressure, temperature and high frequency ultrasound. Sounds like an interesting thing to try, and the chemistry seems to fit, but it's hard to beat an experienced distiller doing it the same way they have done it for hundreds of years.

Forum List

Back