Bernie's 1963 arrest photo

I would love to see the actual arrest report...
This will play very well in South Carolina with its huge black population. A black population that was supposed to be a firewall for Hillary. The timing of the photo's release is perfect.

550x309

Arrest photo of young activist Bernie Sanders emerges from Tribune archives

Chicago Tribune archival photo of a young man being arrested in 1963 at a South Side protest is Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders, his campaign has confirmed, bolstering the candidate's narrative about his civil rights activism.

The black-and-white photo shows a 21-year-old Sanders, then a University of Chicago student, being taken by Chicago police toward a police wagon.

-------------------------------------
Good for Bernie...a real American Patriot

Battling the Democrats back then..I wonder what turned him?

I always find that story sooo amusing. It is the result of screaming lies spread over the years, before internet access. People fed the lies had no way to check the veracity of them. Today is much different. And slowly the truth is escaping. All one has to do is look at decades long Democratic city strongholds and look at how little progress has been made for the Black communities. The Dems scream' we are for ya', all the while they line their pockets and not the communities, and continue with segregation of those very same communities, because they still are the same racists.
Even today, liberal colleges are telling their Black members they need their own safe spaces, away from those awful whites, creating segregation even further.
Segregation is alive and growing, under the auspices of 'help', in the 21st century. Sad, but true story.
I had no idea Sanders was once a Republican battling Democrat segregration
Nothing better then a moron who doesn't recognize that the parties shifted.

I always find that story sooo amusing. It is the result of screaming lies spread over the years, before internet access. People fed the lies had no way to check the veracity of them. Today is much different. And slowly the truth is escaping. All one has to do is look at decades long Democratic city strongholds and look at how little progress has been made for the Black communities. The Dems scream' we are for ya', all the while they line their pockets and not the communities, and continue with segregation of those very same communities, because they still are the same racists.
Even today, liberal colleges are telling their Black members they need their own safe spaces, away from those awful whites, creating segregation even further.
Segregation is alive and growing, under the auspices of 'help', in the 21st century. Sad, but true story.
What had happened to our black communities is that the capitalists abandoned them. There was a time when those communities were filled with blacks coming to fill ample jobs. When the jobs left, those workers with the capability moved on. Those without the ability to move on, remained.

The politicians abandoned those job makers. Local politicians raised the taxes to make it unprofitable, as well as unions demands made it impossible for those companies to survive.
What had happened to our black communities is that the capitalists abandoned them. There was a time when those communities were filled with blacks coming to fill ample jobs. When the jobs left, those workers with the capability moved on. Those without the ability to move on, remained.

The politicians abandoned those job makers. Local politicians raised the taxes to make it unprofitable, as well as unions demands made it impossible for those companies to survive.
Union workers were not getting rich. Their standard of living did not increase. It was the corporate capitalist that made the wrong decisions for short term profits

This will play very well in South Carolina with its huge black population. A black population that was supposed to be a firewall for Hillary. The timing of the photo's release is perfect.

550x309

Chicago Tribune archival photo of a young man being arrested in 1963 at a South Side protest is Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders, his campaign has confirmed, bolstering the candidate's narrative about his civil rights activism.

The black-and-white photo shows a 21-year-old Sanders, then a University of Chicago student, being taken by Chicago police toward a police wagon.

-------------------------------------

I don't trust someone who has never been arrested.

Not many times when having a criminal record can be seen as a positive politically but this is one of the few cases when it definitely is a positive.
I doubt if he has a criminal record

Protesters were usually detained and released
The Chicago Tribune article said he was found guilty of resisting arrest and fined $25, then released. Resisting is usually a misdemeanor.

However, I wouldn't fault him for this record.

Unions have been known for their crippling contracts. Just look at the cities on the verge of collapse, and see why.

Let's also look at a little history of the unions and treatment of Blacks, shall we? Note who tried to right that wrong, also-
A history of union racism

NNPA)—It was the early 1970s and my mentor, the late Arthur Fletcher, received the “green light” from Secretary of Labor George Schultz and President Richard Nixon to integrate the construction workforce on federally regulated projects. Construction unions were livid about this. AFL-CIO president George Meany demanded the firing of Schultz and the immediate shutdown of this program. President Nixon ignored him and Art kicked off the program in Philadelphia—The Philadelphia Plan. The second city was Chicago.

The Chicago Plan was very confrontational. Construction unions tried to invade the Palmer House Hotel where Art was having his meetings with local labor leaders. Death threats were real so Nixon called Mayor Richard Daley and warned him that if Art is harmed in any way, the 101st Airborne will be marching down Michigan Avenue. Art left Chicago alive but the mob put out a contract on his life. For the next two years, he had Secret Service guards. The Chicago union halls had to sign a consent decree to integrate their ranks.

The following is what happened after the event, according to Justia US Law, a legal analysis website. “The backdrop to this case of individual racial discrimination is the historic resistance within the building trades in the Chicago area to accepting racial and ethnic minorities into their ranks. The plaintiff, Frank Daniels, is Black. He was able to get his start as a pipefitter and welder on account of the Chicago Plan, a government-sponsored directive designed to increase minority representation in the construction industry. Daniels left the building trade fourteen years later when he was expelled from his trade union, Pipefitters’ Association Local Union Number 597. His abrupt departure was also predicated on race, but this time the union used his race against him rather than in his favor.

After he was expelled from Local 597, Daniels filed suit against the union. He charged the union with race discrimination and retaliation causing him to be denied job referrals and to be expelled from Local 597. Daniels alleged multiple legal theories and claimed relief under Section 1981 of the 1866 Civil Rights Act, Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His 1981 and 301 claims were tried before a jury, which returned a general verdict in Daniels’ favor and awarded him compensatory damages of $181,063.50 and punitive damages of $150,000.00. The district court held a bench trial on plaintiff’s Title VII claim and entered judgment in favor of Daniels. Plaintiff then petitioned for attorneys’ fees and the district court awarded fees of $265,777.00 and costs in the amount of $6,312.10. For the following reasons, we affirm.

And this was pretty standard treatment, sadly.

Union workers were not getting rich. Their standard of living did not increase. It was the corporate capitalist that made the wrong decisions for short term profits

Forum List

Back