Bess Myerson, the 1st Jewish Miss America, dies at 90

Shall we all wear badges so that everyone will know our preferred ethnicities? Is it so terrible to be viewed as an individual?
At the time she became Miss America, they might as well have been wearing badges

:bsflag:
Far from it

There was a definite social strata for Jews in the 40s. Being Miss America wasn't part of that strata

well I guess then that the same could be said for Milton Berle, Buddy Myer, Howie Camnitz, Hank Greenberg, George Burns you stupid god damned liar

Behind the scenes, Ms. Myerson faced a thornier reality. In a time of rampant anti-Semitism, the Miss America pageant director urged her to change her name to make it sound less Jewish; she refused. As a Miss America representative, she found country clubs canceling her visits and corporate sponsorships dropping away.

"I said... the problem is that I'm Jewish, yes? And with that kind of name it'll be quite obvious to everyone else that I'm Jewish. And you don't want to have to deal with a Jewish Miss America. And that really was the bottom line. I said I can't change my name. You have to understand. I cannot change my name. I live in a building with two hundred and fifty Jewish families. The Sholom Aleichem apartment houses. If I should win, I want everybody to know that I'm the daughter of Louie and Bella Myerson."

I wonder who the people were that hated her because she was Jewish...

The pageant's long history of excluding women of color dates from its beginnings. At some point in the 1930s, it was formalized in the notorious rule number seven of the Miss America rule book. Instituted under the directorship of Lenora Slaughter, rule number seven stated that "contestants must be of good health and of the white race." As late as 1940, all contestants were required to list, on their formal biological data sheet, how far back they could trace their ancestry. In the pageant's continual crusade for respectability, ancestral connections to the Revolutionary War or perhaps the Mayflower would have been seen as a plus.

Wonder which people came up with "rule#7"???...oh yeah, people like the board's rectum licker.

Behind the scenes, Ms. Myerson faced a thornier reality. In a time of rampant anti-Semitism, the Miss America pageant director urged her to change her name to make it sound less Jewish; she refused. As a Miss America representative, she found country clubs canceling her visits and corporate sponsorships dropping away.

"I said... the problem is that I'm Jewish, yes? And with that kind of name it'll be quite obvious to everyone else that I'm Jewish. And you don't want to have to deal with a Jewish Miss America. And that really was the bottom line. I said I can't change my name. You have to understand. I cannot change my name. I live in a building with two hundred and fifty Jewish families. The Sholom Aleichem apartment houses. If I should win, I want everybody to know that I'm the daughter of Louie and Bella Myerson."

I wonder who the people were that hated her because she was Jewish...

jesse jackson the civil rights leader

Shall we all wear badges so that everyone will know our preferred ethnicities? Is it so terrible to be viewed as an individual?
At the time she became Miss America, they might as well have been wearing badges

Far from it

There was a definite social strata for Jews in the 40s. Being Miss America wasn't part of that strata

well I guess then that the same could be said for Milton Berle, Buddy Myer, Howie Camnitz, Hank Greenberg, George Burns you stupid god damned liar
Entertainers were part of that social strata. Jews were allowed to make you laugh. Not many Jewish ball players since Greenberg
Beauty Queens? Not many before or after

I don't feel that I am a racist but every race must realize that what a person does for their race does not mean as much to someone not of that race. Good for her but it is not as important to me as it is for you. I do not feel the Jewish race to be inferior in any way. I have my own heroes.

Far from it

Entertainers were part of that social strata. Jews were allowed to make you laugh. Not many Jewish ball players since Greenberg
Sanford Koufax sys you are a goddamm liar

he even sat out a WS game for a religious holiday and no one blinked an eye you goddam ass

Far from it

Mike Epstein

ps I'll pour on all kinda jewish balllplayers you lair

ass that you are

ps bet you never heard of mike epstein much less buddy myer

buddy myer

1920s-1940s

great 2nd baseman for the senators

Last edited:

Forum List

Back