🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bible passages that the religious right must pretend do not exist...

That doesn't make sense.

Left = Progressive = authoritarian fascists

Um. No.

You are in denial bro.

Leftists = Progressives = Authoritarian Statists

And you still haven't answered my message bro. I'm kinda butthurt to be honest lol.
But no you are wrong. One of our greatest presidents was a progressive. The man responsible for the UN and he would've prevented WW2 if Congress had stood by him.

Dude it takes you 2 days to answer and you get butthurt that I didn't reply to it immediately? WTF?

Point taken. My b lol

That doesn't make sense.

Um. No.

You are in denial bro.

And you still haven't answered my message bro. I'm kinda butthurt to be honest lol.
But no you are wrong. One of our greatest presidents was a progressive. The man responsible for the UN and he would've prevented WW2 if Congress had stood by him.

So the guy who was sending out Federal agents to destroy food, while people were starving.... was the 'greatest' president? The guy who in the middle of the great depression, pass policies so bad, that they had a recession in the middle of the depression, sending unemployment back up to where it was at the start of the depression, he was the greatest?

The guy who supposedly ended the depression, only by drafting unemployed males into the military, and the rest employed by the military industrial complex, was the greatest president? The guy whose rationing of food, rationing of clothes, rationing of consumer goods, lowered the standard of living across the entire country, he was the greatest president we have ever had?

I can't think of any reasonable measure, where FDR was 'the greatest'.

Christians don't really give a fuck about what's in the Bible. They just cherry-pick the parts that reaffirm the current social morays of their culture. There have even been numerous tests done of biblical knowledge between atheists and Christians and atheists routinely score higher. That's why when people ask me why I don't believe in the Bible my answer is always "Because I've actually read it." In fact I and likely many other atheists as well have not just read it but picked it apart over and over again.

As I've long-said, I believed in God until I read the Bible. :)

Reading Wikipedia is NOT reading the Bible.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."
-- Matthew 6:24

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
-- Mark 10:25

"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him"
-- Exodus 22:21

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."
-- Deuteronomy 23:24

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."
-- Isaiah 5:8

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."
-- Exodus 22:25

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"
-- Acts 4:32

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

The 4 main NT people---- Jesus, Paul, Peter,John---- all in 100% agreement---Jesus has a God, his Father--John 20:17,Rev 3:12---2Cor 1:3,1Cor 8:6,1Cor 15:24-28---1Peter 1:3---Rev 1:6----- Doesn't fit with the trinity teaching---they contradict it.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

So your living your life how?

Its a hoot how people like this one,will blubber up a storm about something they know jack shit about,blam others for not following something they themselves don't believe in,but damn sure want others to.

Pretzel logic in full view. And a huge lack of that old lefty tolerance we are told exists, somewhere?

Whoa, there. I don't care that you don't believe in Christianity. Just be honest about it. All, I'm saying...

Most Christians right wing or left wing have never read the Bible. Old Testament nor New Testament.

What's your point here? Have you read the Bible in entirety? In context?
I have many times over. Have you?

You put up passages from the Bible and attempt to discredit a belief.

That is as careless as putting up passages from Carlos Castaneda trying to make some one out to be who follows the teachings of Don Juan appear to be a fool just because they haven't read all of Castaneda's work.

Or putting up passages from the writings of Kahil Gibrand or Yevgeniy Yevtushenko and trying out of bits and pieces to make the whole of the writers work.

You are a fool.

Is it foolish to expect people who claim take a text to be 100% factual, to act as if they do?

Yeah, I suppose it is.

I have heard it argued that certain people who claim to be Christian, but do not follow it's precepts are not "real" Christians. I guess that applies in this instance as well.

Tell me the difference between Christians that are religious right vs. Christians that are religious left.

You mean like ones that are conservative vs ones that are liberal? Not really sure, I can't speak for them since I'm not either but my guess would that liberal or "leftist" Christians take a more live and let live approach to people outside their faith whereas conservatives are more like Gismo. They feel like they have to sniff out the sinners wherever they may be.
lol....

Tell me the difference between Christians that are religious right vs. Christians that are religious left.

You mean like ones that are conservative vs ones that are liberal? Not really sure, I can't speak for them since I'm not either but my guess would that liberal or "leftist" Christians take a more live and let live approach to people outside their faith whereas conservatives are more like Gismo. They feel like they have to sniff out the sinners wherever they may be.
lol....
JESUS warned sin loving people of the cost of sin=death and hell and sends out his followers to do the same and to also give them the good news of GOD'S love.

The religious right see themselves as commissioned to legislate the specks out of the eyes of their fellow citizens, but feel no need to remove the planks from their own eyes. That is what this discussion is all about.

I have challenge for the idiots that believe this, and the idiot who posted it.

Tell us what you think these passages mean, and why people have to ignore them.

How do you know we've ignored anything in those verse? Why? Because we don't support giving too much power to the government? It's precisely because we serve God and not mammon that we cannot in good conscience concede that power to mammon.

Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."
That's from "Luke".

Talk about Cherry Pick. You know right winger Republicans don't want to help anyone but themselves. What's sad is that quote is constantly taken out of context. Here is the entire quote:

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Servant is another word for "slave". No one beats a real, paid for servant. Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong. See? If you look at the entire quote, it says something entirely different.

The "Christian Right" believes that government should reflect God's values.

These passages express (according to the Bible) what God's values are.

Members of the "Christian Right" regularly advocate laws which favor the rich above the rest of society, laws which tend to the unlimited accumulation of wealth on one hand, and homelessness on the the other, laws which oppress the aliens living amongst us, and laws which allow men to execute their fellow citizens for petty theft or even the mere suspicion of it.

When it comes to ethical action between man and man, they say that it no part of government. But when it come to the other private conduct of the lips and the rest of the body, they are eager to empower the state to act as inquisitioner.

It is an ideology of pure hypocrisy.

Members of the "Christian Right" regularly advocate laws which favor the rich above the rest of society, laws which tend to the unlimited accumulation of wealth on one hand, and homelessness on the the other, laws which oppress the aliens living amongst us, and laws which allow men to execute their fellow citizens for petty theft or even the mere suspicion of it.

When it comes to ethical action between man and man, they say that it no part of government. But when it come to the other private conduct of the lips and the rest of the body, they are eager to empower the state to act as inquisitioner.

and what private conduct is it that the right is trying to regulate?......

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

That didn't even begin to answer my challenge, all it did was display your bigotry and intolerance.

That doesn't make sense.

Um. No.

You are in denial bro.

So the guy who was sending out Federal agents to destroy food, while people were starving.... was the 'greatest' president? The guy who in the middle of the great depression, pass policies so bad, that they had a recession in the middle of the depression, sending unemployment back up to where it was at the start of the depression, he was the greatest?

The guy who supposedly ended the depression, only by drafting unemployed males into the military, and the rest employed by the military industrial complex, was the greatest president? The guy whose rationing of food, rationing of clothes, rationing of consumer goods, lowered the standard of living across the entire country, he was the greatest president we have ever had?

I can't think of any reasonable measure, where FDR was 'the greatest'.

I was talking about Wilson. Learn your presidents bro.

Christians don't really give a fuck about what's in the Bible. They just cherry-pick the parts that reaffirm the current social morays of their culture. There have even been numerous tests done of biblical knowledge between atheists and Christians and atheists routinely score higher. That's why when people ask me why I don't believe in the Bible my answer is always "Because I've actually read it." In fact I and likely many other atheists as well have not just read it but picked it apart over and over again.

As I've long-said, I believed in God until I read the Bible. :)

Reading Wikipedia is NOT reading the Bible.

Nobody said that it was :cranky:

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"

One of my all time favorites:

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

That didn't even begin to answer my challenge, all it did was display your bigotry and intolerance.

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

Forum List

Back