Biden to Japan: We Wrote Your Constitution So You Couldn't Have Nukes

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I bet Joe will be Hillarys Sec of State.

TOKYO (AP) — A recent remark by U.S. Vice President Joe Biden that America wrote Japan’s Constitution is raising some eyebrows in Japan.

A popular front-page column in the national Asahi newspaper said this week that the comment “was unprecedented in its insensitivity” and “could even be considered arrogant.”

Biden, appearing Monday with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, attacked Republican candidate Donald Trump for saying that Japan might need to consider obtaining nuclear weapons in the future.

The vice president said, “Does he not understand we wrote Japan’s Constitution to say that they could not be a nuclear power?”

It’s no secret that U.S. forces occupying Japan after World War II drafted the constitution, though Japanese scholars were involved in reviewing and modifying it before adoption.

The 1947 constitution doesn’t mention nuclear weapons, though it does “renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation.”

th

TOKYO (AP) — A recent remark by U.S. Vice President Joe Biden that America wrote Japan’s Constitution is raising some eyebrows in Japan.

A popular front-page column in the national Asahi newspaper said this week that the comment “was unprecedented in its insensitivity” and “could even be considered arrogant.”

Biden, appearing Monday with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, attacked Republican candidate Donald Trump for saying that Japan might need to consider obtaining nuclear weapons in the future.

The vice president said, “Does he not understand we wrote Japan’s Constitution to say that they could not be a nuclear power?”

It’s no secret that U.S. forces occupying Japan after World War II drafted the constitution, though Japanese scholars were involved in reviewing and modifying it before adoption.

The 1947 constitution doesn’t mention nuclear weapons, though it does “renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation.”

Good thing Japan has Trump eager for Japan to have nuclear weapons then.....

Donald Trump's nuclear stance opens wounds in Hiroshima - CNNPolitics.com
The Japanese people are angry. They really hate this kind of selfish opinion," Atsushi said Monday. "Donald Trump doesn't know what happened in Hiroshima or how miserable the situation was in 1945. He has no imagination about what would happen if Japan possessed a nuclear weapon."

From your article:

"We thought only Trump was an insensitive guy," said Aida, who recently published a book in Japan on the Trump phenomenon. Biden "kind of misspoke. This is not something he should talk openly about in public."

Biden: I remember when Japan Bombed The Bay Of Pigs In 1944, just after I graduated from Harvard University. it was a sad week for the United States.

Forum List

Back