Bill Allowing Businesses to Refuse Gays Service

It's kind of a broad brush you got there Kevin. Not all christians do that.

With that said..I think a business has a right to refuse service to anyone. They are paying the rent, the bills, the overhead. If they want to lose customers due to a sexual preference.....then that is on them. But to FORCE them to service people is kind of..well..unamerican. Isn't it?

So you support the right of a white business owner to refuse service to a black person. Really? What about refusing service to someone who is disabled, since it might cost them more to serve that person?

Now as I understand it, we do force businesses to offer their services to Blacks, the Disabled, and many other types of minorities, so it actually is very American. So what this all comes down to is where do we draw the line on religious freedom. If I create a religion, which anyone can do, and my religion says "no blacks", does that mean my business can then deny service to blacks based on a religious belief? I bet that one wouldn't fly too well.

You can believe what you want when it comes to religion, but you should not be able to discriminate against anyone based on your religious beliefs.

Wondering if someone could explain this to me...

You don't hear many stories of a Christian business owner refusing to serve someone who uses the Lord's name in vein, or someone who works on Sunday (by choice), or someone who commits adultery, or someone who worships idols, or someone who gambles/drinks a lot, or someone who doesn't honor his/her parents, etc, but you DO hear stories of Christian business owners refusing to serve a gay customers.

Why just this ONE sin, lol? Why are all the other sins ignored?

I think that's a fair question....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/22/u...-businesses-to-refuse-to-serve-gays.html?_r=0

It has LOT to do with being PART of the ‘sin’ rather than just a witness to it. IOW, if I serve you a meal and you are gay the two circumstances are completely separate from each other. Your need to eat and me taking care of that need has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you are gay.

That is NOT the case when you are in a wedding and you want me to photograph, make the wedding cake or otherwise support the event that I am against. There is no real difference than if you are asking me to preside over the event and be the pastor. You are not simply asking for a service anymore, you are asking me to take part in or support a function that I fundamentally disagree with.

No matter if you think that is bigoted or incorrect, that is the way that I think the individuals themselves see this. It is why they are refusing to be a part of such an event. I can’t say that I think the law should be involved one way or another.

I will state that the mere idea of a law ‘allowing’ you to do anything is absolutely insane. The very concept is against everything I believe this nation stands for. Laws outline the boundaries – what I cannot do. I can do EVERYTHING else. At no time should a law tell me what I can do.

With that said..I think a business has a right to refuse service to anyone. They are paying the rent, the bills, the overhead. If they want to lose customers due to a sexual preference.....then that is on them. But to FORCE them to service people is kind of..well..unamerican. Isn't it?

So you support the right of a white business owner to refuse service to a black person. Really? What about refusing service to someone who is disabled, since it might cost them more to serve that person?

Now as I understand it, we do force businesses to offer their services to Blacks, the Disabled, and many other types of minorities, so it actually is very American. So what this all comes down to is where do we draw the line on religious freedom. If I create a religion, which anyone can do, and my religion says "no blacks", does that mean my business can then deny service to blacks based on a religious belief? I bet that one wouldn't fly too well.

You can believe what you want when it comes to religion, but you should not be able to discriminate against anyone based on your religious beliefs.

Sure you should be able to. We discriminate for a TON of reasons with religious beliefs being rather low in that list. The question is how far you should be able to take that. As a society, we have deemed that other religious beliefs, skin color and a few other things crosses that line.

Should being gay also be across that line? I am not sure but I tend to believe that the government needs to stay out of things. This is a somewhat sticky situation for me because I believe that gays should have all the rights that everyone has. The idea that we support straight marriages and refuse gay ones just seems asinine but to extend that to forcing people to do things that they don’t want to is just as asinine.

Hi Gracie, I never used the phrase "all Christians" and definitely didn't intend to imply that in any way. Totally understand that.

And about the law, I can honestly swing either way on it and understand the viewpoint that businesses should be able to serve whoever they please.

But the OP was addressing the point that I've heard stories of two gays being refused wedding photography services, but never of refusing service to a divorced person remarrying, or a guy who uses the lord's name in vein a lot, etc.

You know?

To clarify, I support a business's right to refuse service to anyone they want. I'm generally a person who wants less government involvement in our lives.

The OP question was why do Christians single gay people out? Why don't they also refuse to serve people who work on Sunday (by choice) - for instance - or a guy who says "Jesus Christ" in vein all of the time, or a guy who gambles and is divorced, or a guy who's known to worship idols, or a guy who doesn't honor his parents, etc?

Why do they single out the gays as the customer of choice to refuse?

First you're making assumptions that it's not only Christians and once again you ignored my point about them refusing to service weddings, I haven't seen any evidence of other reasons.

Oh I get what you mean, but let me approach it this way..

Why don't we see cases of bakeries refusing to make a cake for someone who is getting married for the second or third time - for example? Wouldn't that be just as significant of a sin in God's eyes?

I just feel like some Christian individuals focus in a lot on the gay lifestyle (as sinful) while turning a blind eye (and even welcoming) other types of sinful lifestyles..

First an foremost you're ignoring that divorce is provided for in the bible. I have done some semiprofessional wedding photography, I wouldn't do a gay wedding. Why, it's not natural, now prove me wrong scientifically. You are also ignoring that in Christianity as in other religions, you are responsible for your own decisions and must answer for them to a higher power. In this country you shouldn't have to answer to government for those decisions due to that "free exercise" clause in the Constitution.

You don't hear many stories of a Christian business owner refusing to serve someone who uses the Lord's name in vein, or someone who works on Sunday (by choice), or someone who commits adultery, or someone who worships idols, or someone who gambles/drinks a lot, or someone who doesn't honor his/her parents, etc, but you DO hear stories of Christian business owners refusing to serve a gay customers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/22/u...-businesses-to-refuse-to-serve-gays.html?_r=0

It has LOT to do with being PART of the ‘sin’ rather than just a witness to it. IOW, if I serve you a meal and you are gay the two circumstances are completely separate from each other. Your need to eat and me taking care of that need has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you are gay.

That is NOT the case when you are in a wedding and you want me to photograph, make the wedding cake or otherwise support the event that I am against. There is no real difference than if you are asking me to preside over the event and be the pastor. You are not simply asking for a service anymore, you are asking me to take part in or support a function that I fundamentally disagree with.

No matter if you think that is bigoted or incorrect, that is the way that I think the individuals themselves see this. It is why they are refusing to be a part of such an event. I can’t say that I think the law should be involved one way or another.

I will state that the mere idea of a law ‘allowing’ you to do anything is absolutely insane. The very concept is against everything I believe this nation stands for. Laws outline the boundaries – what I cannot do. I can do EVERYTHING else. At no time should a law tell me what I can do.

No I get that (I think OKTexas was pointing it out too), but my question was more around exploring the idea that Christians (in my view) tend to fixate on not wanting to participate in anything that has to do with gay marriage/gay lifestyle (and will go to the length to maybe turn down a wedding photography job, or cake job), but are fine allowing themselves to participate in a wedding where a man and woman are remarrying for the 2 and 3 times (respectively).

Maybe it does happen and people refuse to participate in remarriages under religious grounds and it simply doesn't get covered in the news. However, in my view, it seems the gay lifestyle (and all the sins that come with it) tends to get the most notice - why?

This is probably more of a religious question than anything; I'm fine with businesses refusing service - to be honest - from a legal standpoint.

Well it is the owner's business and if he wants to have less revenue from opting out on providing service to gays, then that should be his choice.. It is what we call "Freedom" in this country..

The law? Honestly I could swing either way and completely understand the viewpoint that a business should be able to serve whomever they please. This convo is not about the law itself.

No I get that (I think OKTexas was pointing it out too), but my question was more around exploring the idea that Christians (in my view) tend to fixate on not wanting to participate in anything that has to do with gay marriage/gay lifestyle (and will go to the length to maybe turn down a wedding photography job, or cake job), but are fine allowing themselves to participate in a wedding where a man and woman are remarrying for the 2 and 3 times (respectively).

Maybe it does happen and people refuse to participate in remarriages under religious grounds and it simply doesn't get covered in the news. However, in my view, it seems the gay lifestyle (and all the sins that come with it) tends to get the most notice - why?

This is probably more of a religious question than anything; I'm fine with businesses refusing service - to be honest - from a legal standpoint.

Unless they come in with their partner..how does a business owner know if someone is gay? I wonder how they would react if it was a regular customer?

First you're making assumptions that it's not only Christians and once again you ignored my point about them refusing to service weddings, I haven't seen any evidence of other reasons.

Why don't we see cases of bakeries refusing to make a cake for someone who is getting married for the second or third time - for example? Wouldn't that be just as significant of a sin in God's eyes?

I just feel like some Christian individuals focus in a lot on the gay lifestyle (as sinful) while turning a blind eye (and even welcoming) other types of sinful lifestyles..

First an foremost you're ignoring that divorce is provided for in the bible. I have done some semiprofessional wedding photography, I wouldn't do a gay wedding. Why, it's not natural, now prove me wrong scientifically. You are also ignoring that in Christianity as in other religions, you are responsible for your own decisions and must answer for them to a higher power. In this country you shouldn't have to answer to government for those decisions due to that "free exercise" clause in the Constitution.

Hey I'm not arguing that a photographer shouldn't have the right to refuse service; I'm cool with that.

I just think that the gays get singled out unfairly, that's all. A million straight people commit a million significant sins willfully - every day - and participate willfully in sinful lifestyles where idols are worshiped, people have sex out of wedlock, etc, and a photographer is totally cool capturing all of that, but when he has to go to a gay wedding "oh no that would be against my religion" as if it's the only sin that's ever existed.

Get my point?

I don’t think that second and third weddings are a sin tbh. OK pointed that out btw.

Can you think of another ‘sin’ that religious people are asked to directly participate in but have not fought against it?

The only other one that I can think of is abortion and they HAVE been railing against that as well.

Hey I'm not arguing that a photographer shouldn't have the right to refuse service; I'm cool with that.

I just think that the gays get singled out unfairly, that's all. A million straight people commit a million significant sins willfully - every day - and participate willfully in sinful lifestyles where idols are worshiped, people have sex out of wedlock, etc, and a photographer is totally cool capturing all of that, but when he has to go to a gay wedding "oh no that would be against my religion" as if it's the only sin that's ever existed.

Get my point?

Where is a photographer okay with photographing any of that?

Get my point?

Oh I get your point, you think religious people are hypocrites and should just shut up. In another post you asked why gays get all the attention in these cases, I can answer that. They have an agenda and are the only ones out there making a stink to prove how they are so abused. I wonder how they would react to a sign in the establishment saying *$100,000.00 SURCHARGE FOR GAY EVENTS*, you think that would get a reaction?

I don’t think that second and third weddings are a sin tbh. OK pointed that out btw.

Can you think of another ‘sin’ that religious people are asked to directly participate in but have not fought against it?

The only other one that I can think of is abortion and they HAVE been railing against that as well.

But divorce - FA_Q2 - that is a sin. You can remarry if your significant other passes away, but if you divorce and do not annul I believe that to remarry is a major sin. Is that not right?

And I don't know, maybe Christians are refusing these types of people services and my assumptions are wrong - I don't know. Just sorta throwing some questions out there..

Get my point?

Oh I get your point, you think religious people are hypocrites and should just shut up. In another post you asked why gays get all the attention in these cases, I can answer that. They have an agenda and are the only ones out there making a stink to prove how they are so abused. I wonder how they would react to a sign in the establishment saying *$100,000.00 SURCHARGE FOR GAY EVENTS*, you think that would get a reaction?

I most certainly do not think that of religious people. Some are hypocrites - sure - but some non-religious people are hypocrites too. I'm just asking why is it that the gay lifestyle gets more attention than other similarly sinful lifestyles, and why do you hear stories of photographers refusing to photograph a gay wedding and not a photographer refusing to photograph the wedding of a man who divorced his previous wife and didn't get the marriage annulled (meaning he would be committing adultery with this new woman in God's eyes)?

Get my point?

I most certainly do not think that of religious people. Some are hypocrites - sure - but some non-religious people are hypocrites too. I'm just asking why is it that the gay lifestyle gets more attention than other similarly sinful lifestyles, and why do you hear stories of photographers refusing to photograph a gay wedding and not a photographer refusing to photograph the wedding of a man who divorced his previous wife and didn't get the marriage annulled (meaning he would be committing adultery with this new woman in God's eyes)?

As far as I know the requirement for an annulment is only in the Catholic church so that leave a wide spectrum of Christians that wouldn't necessarily worry about that. You asked "why is it that the gay lifestyle gets more attention than other similarly sinful lifestyles", because they are going out of their way to force their lifestyle on a population that doesn't want it in their face. Very simple concept, people tend to push back.

But divorce - FA_Q2 - that is a sin. You can remarry if your significant other passes away, but if you divorce and do not annul I believe that to remarry is a major sin. Is that not right?

And I don't know, maybe Christians are refusing these types of people services and my assumptions are wrong - I don't know. Just sorta throwing some questions out there..

As OK stated, I do not believe that is correct. You are talking about a Catholic precept, not one that is universal in Christianity. Why have you not heard more about Catholics against this type of thing I would not know. Possibly because they are in a minority on that issues and did not have the clout to make this a big deal. Now there is a much larger movement.

I would also put out there that some of this is a reaction to feeling as though the gay movement is trying to get MORE than simple equality. I would not say that all gays or even the majority are behind this but there is a section of the movement that does not simply want equality but wants to shove their lifestyle in your face. They want to force you to accept it.

Otherwise no one would be trying to get cake makers and photographers that object to gay marriages to photograph/make the cake. I know that if I were getting married that is one of the questions I would ask because I specifically DO NOT WANT someone that is bigoted against me to take pictures at such an important event in my life.

What's to explain? Private business should have the right to serve whomever they want.

I pointed this out yesterday to a loud chorus of stunned silence. The answer is simple. This is not about religion. It's about hatred of homosexuals.

Religion is brought into it in this country, from a legal perspective, because the bigots believe it's a loophole through which discrimination can be made legal.

Religion is not some sort of magic bullet that can shoot holes in the Constitution.

Forum List

Back