Bill Moyers Makes It Clear: Requiring An ID Is Voter Suppression And Unconstitutional

He makes the constitutional argument pretty well. The law is a de facto poll tax imposed disproportionately on the poor, elderly, and disabled.

AMENDMENT XXIV

SECTION 1.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

So........one shouldn't have to prove who one is in order to partake in this right.....gotcha....he makes no case at all except to those with a predisposition.

Not if it's going to cost them a dime to do so.

Ahhhh.....so we musn't require them to spend a dime of their welfare to prove who they are.....got it.

ANY cost is UNCONSTITUTIONAL, that was decided DECADES ago. Have affidavits available, trained poll workers, and ID provided at registration. The simplistic one liner someone put in their signature line about Florida law and provisional ballots is NOT the law. It is much more complex. I was forced to vote by provisional ballot because my ID address didn't match the registrar's address. It took two days to confirm my vote was "allowed".

ANY cost is UNCONSTITUTIONAL, that was decided DECADES ago. Have affidavits available, trained poll workers, and ID provided at registration. The simplistic one liner someone put in their signature line about Florida law and provisional ballots is NOT the law. It is much more complex. I was forced to vote by provisional ballot because my ID address didn't match the registrar's address. It took two days to confirm my vote was "allowed".

so your ballot was counted, correct?

tissue?

Thats not what the SC said dipshit :)

The video at the link is fairly short and worth the watch. Yep, he has it right. The people that are really being screwed are the poor, the elderly, and the disabled. As the interview points out, that "free card" turns out costing more than poll taxes did.

Bill Moyers Makes It Clear: Requiring An ID Is Voter Suppression And Unconstitutional

Everyone's got an ID, right? Wrong. When 1 in 10 eligible voters have no ID, and a trip to a government building is time-consuming and costly, Bill Moyers is there to break down exactly how voter suppression has been allowed to happen and why it's unconstitutional.

Great. From Bill's own post, does he have any idead how many 1in 10 voters are being suppressed from entering The Department of Justice or trying to qualify to go to a local school? Thank you, Bill, for apprising all of US about how much suppression is among US.

I didn't realize the right to go to school was a constitutional issue. The right to vote is, and the prohibition against any tax to vote is. And according to Justice Roberts, that includes any fee or penalty.

BTW, my kids never needed an ID to go to school. I just filled out the forms, and signed them. If I lied on those forms, which I didn't, it would have been a crime.

So let me get this straight....they can pay their own way to the polling places every two years...but we can't make them go ONE time to get their ID, you people are idiots.

The video at the link is fairly short and worth the watch. Yep, he has it right. The people that are really being screwed are the poor, the elderly, and the disabled. As the interview points out, that "free card" turns out costing more than poll taxes did.

Everyone's got an ID, right? Wrong. When 1 in 10 eligible voters have no ID, and a trip to a government building is time-consuming and costly, Bill Moyers is there to break down exactly how voter suppression has been allowed to happen and why it's unconstitutional.

When the states fail in their constitutional responsibility to provide efficient and accurate elections, why do we even bother going through the motions?

When the states fail in their constitutional responsibilities due to federal intrusion and obstruction, what the hell are we waiting for?!!!

The founders gave us the remedy to the problem. Are we too pussified to take our own responsibilities to this great republic seriously?

Gee, Bill Moyers huh?

well, the SC disagrees including Stevens that right wing lion:rolleyes:

In a 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.

Justice John Paul Stevens, in the leading opinion, stated that the burdens placed on voters are limited to a small percentage of the population, and were offset by the state's interest in reducing fraud. Stevens wrote in the majority...

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what the fuck do they know, compared to Moyers? right, Dickless Fuck???

I didn't realize the right to go to school was a constitutional issue. The right to vote is, and the prohibition against any tax to vote is. And according to Justice Roberts, that includes any fee or penalty.

BTW, my kids never needed an ID to go to school. I just filled out the forms, and signed them. If I lied on those forms, which I didn't, it would have been a crime.
Let me see... he was in the minority on the decision... right? The losing side?

Way to go, dumb ass.:clap2:

There is NO voter suppression.
That couldn't be more true. I watched that video. It's so unconvincing. The trouble with registering to vote is that it takes a few minutes, you may have to wait in line two or three minutes, but it's a :

Voter's Responsibility

Spending a few minutes in line is a small price to pay. A very small price.

Good grief, what a bunch of whiners. What they could mean is:

"If the person doesn't register, we cannot control his vote on voter day."

Doh!

Well Fuck Bill Moyers says so, it must be true.

What the Fuck Ever. Free ID's Are available to the Disabled and Poor in Most States, and can be made so as a Part of any Law to Require ID to Vote.

You people oppose this, Because you want people who should not be able to vote, to be able to vote.

Period.

So let me get this straight....they can pay their own way to the polling places every two years...but we can't make them go ONE time to get their ID, you people are idiots.

Maybe. If they live in a city, they can usually walk to their precinct polling place, but would have to jump through hoops (assuming they didn't have transportation) to get to a states vital statistics and motor vehicle office. Lots of old folks and poor and disabled live in cities. I guess you haven't.

Maybe. If they live in a city, they can usually walk to their precinct polling place, but would have to jump through hoops (assuming they didn't have transportation) to get to a states vital statistics and motor vehicle office. Lots of old folks and poor and disabled live in cities. I guess you haven't.

Too funny..yet they can make to their respective Gov offices to get and maintain their Gov assistance....got it. (rolling eyes)

That couldn't be more true. I watched that video. It's so unconvincing. The trouble with registering to vote is that it takes a few minutes, you may have to wait in line two or three minutes, but it's a :

Voter's Responsibility

Doh!

Motor vehicles, which is the main issuing agent for the so-called "free photo ID" is not a few minutes in line. On a good day it's a 2 hour wait. If I relied on public transportation to get there, it would be three buses. Having to go get someone to vouch for your identity and having it notarized is at least an hour, plus a couple of bucks. Getting to your states vital statistics office and getting a birth certificate is a major hassle, and not a few minutes. In Maryland, it also costs $30.

If Chief Justice Roberts and the right wing is to be believed, that the health insurance mandate is really a tax is true, photo ID laws constitute a poll tax, and is unconstitutional.

Last edited:

Anyone who finds Bill Moyers convincing is a moron. The only reason to oppose voter ID is because you support voter fraud.

Voter's Responsibility

Doh!

Motor vehicles, which is the main issuing agent for the so-called "free photo ID" is not a few minutes in line. On a good day it's a 2 hour wait. If I relied on public transportation to get there, it would be three buses. Having to go get someone to vouch for your identity and having it notarized is at least an hour, plus a couple of bucks. Getting to your states vital statistics office and getting a birth certificate is a major hassle, and not a few minutes. In Maryland, it also costs $30.

If Chief Justice Roberts and the right wing is to be believed, that the health insurance mandate is really a tax is true, photo ID laws constitute a poll tax, and is unconstitutional.

Logic isn't your stong point friend.

Motor vehicles, which is the main issuing agent for the so-called "free photo ID" is not a few minutes in line. On a good day it's a 2 hour wait. Bullshit. You can be in and out of the DMV in PA and NJ (lived in both states) in 30 minutes if you fill out the paperwork properly the first time you get it.

If I relied on public transportation to get there, it would be three buses. Having to go get someone to vouch for your identity and having it notarized is at least an hour, plus a couple of bucks. An hour my ass. I can get a notary to verify me in 20 minutes.

Getting to your states vital statistics office and getting a birth certificate is a major hassle, and not a few minutes. In Maryland, it also costs $30.
Again, bullshit. You can do it by mail, and I spent $10 to get a birth certificate for my daughter (lost the original in the move). I could have done it in person in about 20 minutes.

dumb ass

Forum List

Back